mice issues with car

General Udon Thani topics only!
waltpong
udonmap.com

mice issues with car

Post by waltpong » July 20, 2023, 12:50 am

What has one done to fix mice issues in engine compartment?

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Re: mice issues with car

Post by Wee Jimmy » July 20, 2023, 1:53 am

Gert a Cat mate. Only deterant.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 20, 2023, 5:22 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:
July 20, 2023, 1:53 am
Gert a Cat mate. Only deterant.
Cats also will cut down on the Geckos

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 20, 2023, 7:00 am

Depends on the persistence of the rodents but Naphthalene balls (moth balls) work well. You can buy them at Big C. I've also see rat (and gecko) repellent sprays at Mr DIY. But if you can eliminate why they want to hide in the car, that's the best deterrent. In my case it was a handy, cool, dry and dark place for them to eat corn from a split bag about 20' away. Cleaning up the yard and surroundings helped in my case but you need to act before they start chewing through wires or have a litter of babies in the air conditioning duct work. That's a pretty grim task to resolve once they starve and die and stink the car out
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 20, 2023, 7:23 am

Well I can tell you that in this country where nearly everything eats other things, the larger tuktaes eat mice as do snakes . Now I am not fond generally speaking of snakes ( those that bite/spit even more so ) but they do have their uses and dealing with mice/rats is part of their DNA .
As Tamada said, cleaning up outside removing all possible known food waste is important as is ensuring outside is fairly open, cannot eradicate all little hiding places one has to try.
Many Thais systematically kill all geckos, slinkys and tuk tares with a passion, which is rather silly as they kill and eat 95% of all nasty flying things and MICE Babies , not maybe the geckos but i am sure you get the idea. As for snakes I REMOVE All snakes if they are invasive into buildings aprt from that kill any nasty opnes and leave the rest to thrive they are verey good at thinning themselves out , garden and house now Rat, MICE< Frog, ..free.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » July 20, 2023, 7:51 am

I have a similar problem except with kittens. It seem every time some feral cat has kittens in my area they like to take up residence in my car's engine compartment. I have tried lots of things to keep them out but nothing works. it requires me to check the hood and extract them by hand which is hard because they can run into crevices. Sometimes have to use the water hose.
Last edited by Charlieb on July 20, 2023, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 20, 2023, 8:27 am

Another option is leave the bonnet/hood open, possibly with some night light around. I believe rats aren't big on bedside reading.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 20, 2023, 8:32 am

Charlieb wrote:
July 20, 2023, 7:51 am
I have a similar problem except with kittens. It seem every time some feral cat has kittens in my area they like to take up residence in my car's engine compartment. I have tried lots of things to keep them out but nothing works. it requires me to check the hood and extract them by hand which is hard because they can run into crevices. Sometimes have to use the water hose.
I had an issue with neighborhood ferals pitching up at night in the open shed. I installed a cheap LED light tube in there, I recall about 100 baht from Big Lots. That shut down the moggies night operations base. The car port lights are now on a solar switch so come on at dusk, turn off at dawn.
Last edited by tamada on July 20, 2023, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » July 20, 2023, 9:10 am

Charlie, instead of jumping to conclusions regard mice in my car read the comments I made. The car has never had a problem with mice as the problem with mice was years ago before we had that car.
I would also be obliged if you would remove that comment.
Any inspection for mice in car welcome.!!

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » July 20, 2023, 5:54 pm

Just joshing Jimmy. of course I will remove the comment if I can figure out how.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 20, 2023, 7:28 pm

waltpong wrote:
July 20, 2023, 12:50 am
What has one done to fix mice issues in engine compartment?
I thought I sent this earlier but must have rebooted before I clicked submit.

Back when I commuted regularly from Bangkok to Udon nearly weekly, I left my older car at UTH for the period I was away. I began to get evidence of pack rats or mice nesting on my transaxle. The urine smell was ungood and I was concerned about them eating wires and vacuum lines etc.

I tried everything I could think of: moth balls, bay leaves, WD40, Irish Spring soap etc and nothing seemed to work until I found these:
https://rid-a-rat.com/

I bought two while I was in the US and packed in my luggage. Results were 100% no mice/rat evidence so later as I added vehicles and the neighbor was interested I bought 5 or 6 more and had them shipped here. All were mounted in the engine compartment. I was so confident in it I would even park over the drains when necessary (where I had witnessed the little buggers enter/leave on occasion).

These work with a flashing LED light that repels them from nesting. Very low power draw. Can use for extended periods. They have strong magnets that hold to the firewall and clips for the battery terminals. Easy install.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » July 20, 2023, 7:41 pm

I edited my comment. Tamada please edit yours where you quoted me.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 20, 2023, 7:43 pm

Charlieb wrote:
July 20, 2023, 7:41 pm
I edited my comment. Tamada please edit yours where you quoted me.
Sorted
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”