Breaking stuff all the time

General Udon Thani topics only!
747man
udonmap.com

Re: Breaking stuff all the time

Post by 747man » July 18, 2023, 9:17 pm

My wife thinks I'm crazy!......555 !! She's CORRECT Then, Mortiboy 555 !!

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » July 19, 2023, 6:37 am

yep , my pienongs always manage to break everything way more quickly than me ...
it is because most items here are not (what i call it ) thaiproof ... :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 19, 2023, 7:10 am

In the early days of flat pack and self assembly, that bwas where I learnt how to put things together , doing that and maintaining same cheap alternative to custom made furniture was a lesson well learnt . I can imagine iof that had occurred here in LOS then at least 50 % of the houses would be collapsing along with all their furniture .

I ti not as though Thais are by nature, accident prone or careless, it is just as olne learned friend told me, unable to think logically and therefore alol actioons are made to counter their actions made while not thinking plus with lack of concern or care of utensils /tools generally, replacement is far easier than taking care.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 19, 2023, 10:30 am

kopkei wrote:
July 19, 2023, 6:37 am
yep , my pienongs always manage to break everything way more quickly than me ...
it is because most items here are not (what i call it ) thaiproof ... :D
Get's back to the OP who used a cheap plug that apparently didn't have any usable sort of cord grip. If you buy cheap or make do with stuff, it will fail sooner but that's not unique to Thailand. For example, if you go with a low-cost brand of wall receptacles and switches, fairly quickly you will have plugs falling out and fire hazards up the ying yang. If you pay a bit more, you get a better solution. I am only now finding and replacing a few bad sockets and switches at mi casa some 15 years after construction.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 19, 2023, 10:38 am

Well Choi Choi, I'm 78 years old and the last couple of years I have gotten clumsy and bump into things. That invisible hand also pushes my hand away from many things I try to pick up. You are not alone.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 19, 2023, 11:42 am

It is not so much a Thai peculiarity to break things and to treat things roughly, I had equally bad experiences in the U.K.

However the thing’s available hear are often of particularly low quality, hence cheap, so you have to be much more careful or they will break, this encourages the tendency for disregard of care as it’s cheap to replace things.

Some people will care for things, most in most countries don’t and society is encouraging this attitude.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2023, 9:15 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
July 19, 2023, 11:42 am
It is not so much a Thai peculiarity to break things and to treat things roughly, I had equally bad experiences in the U.K.

However the thing’s available hear are often of particularly low quality, hence cheap, so you have to be much more careful or they will break, this encourages the tendency for disregard of care as it’s cheap to replace things.

Some people will care for things, most in most countries don’t and society is encouraging this attitude.
I think we're all agreed the primary cause is cheap rubbish products being abused by heavy handedness. However, my experience is they are bereft of any willingness to replace stuff once it's broke which is compounded by their innate sloth and indolence. The bypassing of water filters when they become blocked instead of changing it, getting by in the dark when a light goes out rather than change it, leaving stuff in the washing machine; all 5 minute jobs. Even putting stuff in a waste bin right next to where they are creating rubbish is anathema to my squatters.

Rant over.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 21, 2023, 9:27 am

tamada wrote:
July 21, 2023, 9:15 am

I think we're all agreed the primary cause is cheap rubbish products being abused by heavy handedness. However, my experience is they are bereft of any willingness to replace stuff once it's broke which is compounded by their innate sloth and indolence. The bypassing of water filters when they become blocked instead of changing it, getting by in the dark when a light goes out rather than change it, leaving stuff in the washing machine; all 5 minute jobs. Even putting stuff in a waste bin right next to where they are creating rubbish is anathema to my squatters.

Rant over.
Suppose closely monitoring the nubile squatter ironing makes up for all the above eh Jammy ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2023, 10:04 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
July 21, 2023, 9:27 am
tamada wrote:
July 21, 2023, 9:15 am

Rant over.
Suppose closely monitoring the nubile squatter ironing makes up for all the above eh Jammy ..

DM
Now that I have to sit to pee, have to make lists to get stuff done and get pished after only one tinnie, no DM, no it doesn't. Not any more.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 21, 2023, 12:07 pm

For Tam
images (5).jpeg
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 21, 2023, 12:48 pm

Part of our problem, I say OUR poblem is that as one ages ( inevitable ) often our brains do not actually recognise our movements and actions are not as they were and it is difficult to retrain.

I find accepting I am older, not as strong, occasionally forgetfulness, I put in place certain actions which helps me in all my work like activities, from gardening to repairing. activate times when cooking, ensuring I puit back where I found it etc. small actions . Never buiying rubbish items for anything, waiting to be able to get the right item is important .

Or as someone told me eons ago ( while celebrating his 94th birthday ) , admitting your getting old and accepting your NEW limitations goes a long way to reduce stress, worry and makes your life easier .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2023, 4:24 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 21, 2023, 12:07 pm
For Tam images (5).jpeg
Got that right.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 21, 2023, 4:24 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 21, 2023, 12:48 pm
Part of our problem, I say OUR poblem is that as one ages ( inevitable ) often our brains do not actually recognise our movements and actions are not as they were and it is difficult to retrain.

I find accepting I am older, not as strong, occasionally forgetfulness, I put in place certain actions which helps me in all my work like activities, from gardening to repairing. activate times when cooking, ensuring I puit back where I found it etc. small actions . Never buiying rubbish items for anything, waiting to be able to get the right item is important .

Or as someone told me eons ago ( while celebrating his 94th birthday ) , admitting your getting old and accepting your NEW limitations goes a long way to reduce stress, worry and makes your life easier .
Got that right too.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 21, 2023, 5:58 pm

One thing that is hard to admit is that my petite wife is stronger than I am. Her and another small Thai lady easily throw bags of rice into the back of the pickup truck. I have to really struggle to lift my half of a bag when my wife needs help.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 22, 2023, 9:29 am

glalt wrote:
July 21, 2023, 5:58 pm
One thing that is hard to admit is that my petite wife is stronger than I am. Her and another small Thai lady easily throw bags of rice into the back of the pickup truck. I have to really struggle to lift my half of a bag when my wife needs help.
Totally agree on where they get the strength and energy from. But you have already done your share of "heavy lifting" in life to get where you and your good wife are presently so there's no shame in realizing the limitations that come with age and taking it easy.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 22, 2023, 10:23 am

that would be Issan JUngle Genese.. My wife several years older than me still is incrdibly strong for her age. Our children also inherited large muscle mass strength...
Dave

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”