Lockerbie bomber release linked to arms deal with Libya

World news discussion forum
Quanteen
udonmap.com

Post by Quanteen » July 28, 2013, 1:48 pm

The release of al Megrahi in 2009 was hailed by Britain as a humanitarian act of compassion. The whole world smelled a rat while the Brits (notably the Scots) wallowed in smug contempt. Now its been exposed that the dying terrorist (he lived for several years) was a key piece in an arms deal with Libya.

Contempt indeed. Liars. [-X
The release of the Lockerbie bomber was linked by the Government to a £400 million arms-export deal to Libya, according to secret correspondence obtained by The Sunday Telegraph.

An email sent by the then British ambassador in Tripoli details how a prisoner transfer agreement would be signed once Libya “fulfils its promise” to buy an air defence system.

The disclosure is embarrassing for members of the then Labour government, which always insisted that Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s release was not linked to commercial deals.

The email, which contained a briefing on the UK’s relations with Colonel Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, was sent on June 8 2008 by Sir Vincent Fean, the then UK ambassador, to Tony Blair’s private office, ahead of a visit soon after he stepped down as prime minister.

Mr Blair flew to Tripoli to meet Gaddafi on June 10, in a private jet provided by the dictator, one of at least six visits Mr Blair made to Libya after quitting Downing Street.

The briefing, which runs to 1,300 words, contains revealing details about how keen Britain was to do deals with Gaddafi.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... etter.html

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Post by kubotatim » July 28, 2013, 2:02 pm

No surprise here.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 28, 2013, 2:06 pm

Oh, so this old thread had a wrong assumption then??
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... er#p191963
Brits swap terrorist for BP oil deal
Been done before Tex, but The Times last time...

They can't all be correct otherwise the UK would have the world's strongest economy just off Libya... :D

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 28, 2013, 2:23 pm

kubotatim wrote:No surprise here.
Ditto. The rumors of that were swarming early on.

Now we know. It always takes time.
8)
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 28, 2013, 2:33 pm

So your report, 4 years ago, that the release was to do with a BP oil deal were incorrect then WBU??

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 28, 2013, 7:33 pm

BobHelm wrote:So your report, 4 years ago, that the release was to do with a BP oil deal were incorrect then WBU??
It was the UK Telegraph's report. I just posted the link.

Then I said:

This is rather interesting ... I'm sure the families of those who were killed in this horrific act are pleased that the terrorist was returned to be able to live out his last days with family.
And then Bob Helm said:
Sadly I found this headline all too believable.
The Conservatives calling for an inquiry is the pot calling the kettle black though. They would have done exactly the same if they had been in power.
A load of double dealing, lying, self serving, parasites that inhabit Parliament. I only continue to be surprised that anybody votes for any of them, or that anyone has genuine amazement when it turns out they have been lying their hides off... :(
Hope you had a good weekend, Bob. I'm smiling. Mine was great. :D
“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.” - Mark Twain

Return to “World News”