Israel’s Nine-year ‘War’ On the ICC Exposed

World news discussion forum
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Israel’s Nine-year ‘War’ On the ICC Exposed

Post by jackspratt » May 28, 2024, 8:28 pm

A couple of interesting articles from an investigation by the Guardian, and others in Israel.
Spying, hacking and intimidation: Israel’s nine-year ‘war’ on the ICC exposed

Exclusive: Investigation reveals how intelligence agencies tried to derail war crimes prosecution, with Netanyahu ‘obsessed’ with intercepts

......Now, an investigation by the Guardian and the Israeli-based magazines +972 and Local Call can reveal how Israel has run an almost decade-long secret “war” against the court. The country deployed its intelligence agencies to surveil, hack, pressure, smear and allegedly threaten senior ICC staff in an effort to derail the court’s inquiries.

Israeli intelligence captured the communications of numerous ICC officials, including Khan and his predecessor as prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, intercepting phone calls, messages, emails and documents.......
https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... cc-exposed
Revealed: Israeli spy chief ‘threatened’ ICC prosecutor over war crimes inquiry

Mossad director Yossi Cohen personally involved in secret plot to pressure Fatou Bensouda to drop Palestine investigation, sources say
https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... es-inquiry

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Israel’s Nine-year ‘War’ On the ICC Exposed

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 28, 2024, 8:54 pm

It would be nice if Al Jazeera could come up with something like this on Hamas intimidation and action to silence any critics in the strip. I am sure it would be interesting. Alas and alack.

I think it is accepted that a nation under threat has the right to do anything, including spying, intercepting messages etc. to defend itself.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 28, 2024, 9:50 pm

The nation wasn't under threat from the ICC.

Some of its political and military leaders were under investigation for their alleged actions.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2024, 12:56 am

Since three of the permanent members of the UN security council are among the many nations that don't recognise the ICC, why this sudden waste of precious Isaan internet bandwidth?
Screenshot_20240529-015431~2.png
Another nice straw clutch
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » May 29, 2024, 6:49 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 28, 2024, 8:28 pm
A couple of interesting articles from an investigation by the Guardian, and others in Israel.
Spying, hacking and intimidation: Israel’s nine-year ‘war’ on the ICC exposed

Exclusive: Investigation reveals how intelligence agencies tried to derail war crimes prosecution, with Netanyahu ‘obsessed’ with intercepts

......Now, an investigation by the Guardian and the Israeli-based magazines +972 and Local Call can reveal how Israel has run an almost decade-long secret “war” against the court. The country deployed its intelligence agencies to surveil, hack, pressure, smear and allegedly threaten senior ICC staff in an effort to derail the court’s inquiries.

Israeli intelligence captured the communications of numerous ICC officials, including Khan and his predecessor as prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, intercepting phone calls, messages, emails and documents.......
https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... cc-exposed
Revealed: Israeli spy chief ‘threatened’ ICC prosecutor over war crimes inquiry

Mossad director Yossi Cohen personally involved in secret plot to pressure Fatou Bensouda to drop Palestine investigation, sources say
https://www.theguardian.com/world/artic ... es-inquiry
I am not sure that 'secret war' is the correct word to use in this case. If the ICC was attempting to prosecute certain Israelis for war crimes, one should not be surprised if Israel did not respond to the court in a friendly way. I doubt anyone would expect many Israelis to embrace the courts seemingly one-sided decisions. Israel, as isolated as it is, has to oppose political courts and others if it hopes to survive. I didn't read anything about the courts attempts to rein in Hamas or Hezbollah. Maybe that story has yet to be written.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 29, 2024, 9:01 am

I'm not sure what the absence of the US, Russia and China from the ICC has to do with this current investigation - perhaps they are 3 countries with a lot to hide, and a lot to lose, from its activities.

[Redacted]

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » May 29, 2024, 9:07 am

Jackspratt does appear to me that he loathes Israel and a defender of Hamas. [Redacted] I may be wrong.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 29, 2024, 9:17 am

Sport wrote:
May 29, 2024, 9:07 am
I may be wrong.
Again.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2024, 9:38 am

jackspratt wrote:
May 29, 2024, 9:01 am
I'm not sure what the absence of the US, Russia and China from the ICC has to do with this current investigation - perhaps they are 3 countries with a lot to hide, and a lot to lose, from its activities.

[Redacted]
K!ng mate, the k!ng, not prince.

Pay attention and have some respect.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 29, 2024, 9:40 am

Sport wrote:
Jackspratt does appear to me that he loathes Israel and a defender of Hamas. [Redacted] I may be wrong.
Sorry, but I disagree. He's hardly a defender of Hamas, just conflicted (like Hamas).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 29, 2024, 6:29 pm

tamada wrote:
May 29, 2024, 9:40 am
Sport wrote:
Sorry, but I disagree. He's hardly a defender of Hamas, just conflicted (like Hamas).
I can see how Sport came to that conclusion. But let's hear it directly: Jack, how do you feel about Hamas and, separately, Israel?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » May 29, 2024, 6:33 pm

Well, it seems like 3 democratic european nations would seem to agree with the ICC.

Anybody who thinks killing 35,000 people, mainly civilians, is a justified response to a terrorist group killing 1200 of your citizens, obviously has little regard for human rights as well.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 29, 2024, 7:06 pm

rick wrote:
May 29, 2024, 6:33 pm
Anybody who thinks killing 35,000 people, mainly civilians, is a justified response to a terrorist group killing 1200 of your citizens, obviously has little regard for human rights as well.
Do you think that Hamas bears any responsibility for the civilian deaths for waging its terror war from within civilian enclaves like schools, hospitals, etc.?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 29, 2024, 7:21 pm

Udon Map wrote:
May 29, 2024, 6:29 pm
I can see how Sport came to that conclusion. But let's hear it directly: Jack, how do you feel about Hamas and, separately, Israel?
Given your previous posts, and your redactions, I am not surprised that you arrived at that conclusion.

I have posted numerous times on my views on Hamas - if you have chosen to ignore them, that is your problem. I am not going to repeat myself.

As for Israel, when I see signs that it is willing to even start levelling the playing field (rather than Gaza) with the Palestinians, I may change my currently unsympathetic and negative views about the country.

I am not interested in who built what above something else 1000 years ago - my concern is about what the state of Israel is currently doing to the people and infrastructure of Gaza, in what I believe is totally disproportionate revenge for the brutal Hamas attack on Israel last October.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » May 29, 2024, 7:39 pm

jackspratt wrote:
May 29, 2024, 7:21 pm
Udon Map wrote:
May 29, 2024, 6:29 pm
Given your previous posts, and your redactions, I am not surprised that you arrived at that conclusion.
I didn't say that I agreed, I said that I can see how he got there.

jackspratt wrote:
I have posted numerous times on my views on Hamas - if you have chosen to ignore them, that is your problem. I am not going to repeat myself.
That's fine. I thought that you might take this opportunity to tell us clearly. Feel free to decline and let us think what we want.

jackspratt wrote:
As for Israel, when I see signs that it is willing to even start levelling the playing field (rather than Gaza) with the Palestinians, I may change my currently unsympathetic and negative views about the country.
What's your suggestion for how Israel (or any country) should fight a terror group that embeds itself in, and launches terror attacks from within, civilian enclaves?

jackspratt wrote:
I am not interested in who built what above something else 1000 years ago . . . .
You may have no interest in that, but that is the reason that Hamas claims it is fighting Israel. (Of course, Hamas downplays the part of its charter that says that its purpose is to rid the world of Jews.)

jackspratt wrote:
. . . my concern is about what the state of Israel is currently doing to the people and infrastructure of Gaza, in what I believe is totally disproportionate revenge for the brutal Hamas attack on Israel last October.
Personally, I think that it's more than that one attack. There are the near daily rockets launched towards population centers in Israel that have been going on for a decade or more. There are the random terror attacks against Israeli civilians, like the teenager who was stabbed to death in her bed, or the teens who were kidnapped and murdered. Like the rocket attacks, incidents like these have been going on for well over a decade.

Return to “World News”