BBC: Who is Guilty One?

World news discussion forum
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

BBC: Who is Guilty One?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 9, 2023, 12:44 pm

It seems a BBC presenter paid a great deal of money to get sexually explicit photographs of a teenage girl. It seems he got more than just photos. Who was it that di the dirty deed? Three presenters have denied it was them: Gary Lineker and BBC2 radio hosts Rylan Clark and Jeremy Vine all took to social media to deny that they were caught up in the scandal, amid frenzied online speculation about the identity of the person at the centre of the allegations.'

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc- ... -mtgnrr0hn

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: BBC: Who is Guilty One?

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 9, 2023, 1:43 pm

'The BBC in crisis over star ‘paying teen for explicit photos’
Parents complained months ago, but host stayed on air — and may have broken law

The BBC is facing questions over its handling of a mother’s complaint that a top male presenter paid her child £35,000 for sexually explicit photographs, as it emerged the star may have broken the law by soliciting them.

Presenters rushed to distance themselves from the claims. Gary Lineker and BBC2 radio hosts Rylan Clark and Jeremy Vine all took to social media to deny that they were caught up in the scandal, amid frenzied online speculation about the identity of the person at the centre of the allegations.

Nicky Campbell, the BBC Radio 5 Live presenter, said that he had reported those who claimed online that he was the man in question to the police. “I think it’s important to take a stand,” he said. “There are just too many of these people on social media.”

Under the Protection of Children Act 1978, it is an offence “to make, distribute, possess or show any indecent images of anyone aged under 18, even if the content was created with the consent of that young person” or to ask a child to send a sexual image of themselves if the child was under 18.

The presenter could also be charged with sexual exploitation under the Sexual Offences Act 2003, according to a former chief crown prosecutor.

Nazir Afzal, who led the prosecution in the Rochdale grooming gang cases, said that he was “surprised that this person was not suspended once they became aware of the gravity of the allegation”.

He said: “The police should have been engaged as soon as they worked out whether the complaint was genuine. Where are we now — the middle of July? Six, seven weeks on. They should have advised the police that this is a matter that they should be investigating, and that should have been done weeks ago. There’s no justification for the police not having become involved as early as possible.”

The BBC is refusing to comment on whether it referred the allegations of potential criminality to the police.

The teenager was reportedly 17 when payments started and has since become addicted to illegal drugs, their mother told The Sun. The money was paid “in exchange for sexually explicit photographs of my child”, she told the newspaper.

In its second day of revelations, the paper reported that the presenter stripped to his underwear in a video call seen by the child’s mother. She described how he was “leaning forward, getting ready for my child to perform for him”.

She added: “I was shocked to see a picture of him sitting on a sofa in his house in his underwear. I immediately recognised him.”

Since the encounter with the BBC presenter, she added, the teenager had gone from being “a happy-go-lucky youngster to a ghost-like crack addict”.

“There were huge sums, hundreds, or thousands of pounds at a time,” she said. “One time he had sent £5,000 . . . the money had been in exchange for sexually explicit photographs of my child.”

She added: “Putting this out to the public is the only way to stop it.”

The mother went to the BBC on May 19 and pleaded with its bosses to make the man “stop sending the cash”, she said. The woman became frustrated and went to the press. She was not paid for her story.

“All I want is for this man to stop paying my child for sexual pictures and stop him funding my child’s drug habit,” she said.

She said last night that her child was paid a further £1,000 last month, after she made the complaint, which led her to believe that the BBC had not spoken to its star. “We never wanted an investigation. We just wanted the BBC to tell him to stop,” she said.

The BBC appeared to suggest that the woman had failed to engage with its investigation after making the original complaint. The child’s family were reported to have met with Jeff Brown, the BBC’s head of corporate investigations and a former police officer, on Friday.

The male presenter is not scheduled to appear on air in the coming days, according to the BBC.

Sources said that the broadcaster, who was on air as recently as last week, has been taken off duties for at least the next two weeks. The BBC refused to confirm this.

Causing or inciting sexual exploitation of a child carries a maximum sentence of 14 years’ imprisonment, while making or possessing indecent images has a maximum tariff of 10 years. The law says that a person commits an offence if he “intentionally causes or incites another person (under 18) to be sexually exploited in any part of the world”.

Dame Caroline Dinenage, the chairwoman of the Commons culture committee, told The Sun that the BBC “clearly has some very serious questions to answer”.

Dame Priti Patel, the former home secretary, said that the BBC’s response was “derisory” and that it must provide the accuser and their family with a “full and transparent investigation”.

Amid a torrent of speculation, Rylan Clark denied it was him. Clark, the former host of Strictly Come Dancing spin-off It Takes Two took to social media to speak out.

Clark, 34, has been absent from his Saturday afternoon Radio 2 show since May 20 because he has been filming a travelogue in Italy with Robert Rinder, the TV judge.

“Not sure why my names [sic] floating about but re that story in The Sun — that ain’t me babe,” he tweeted. “Take my name out ya mouths.”

This was soon followed by Vine who wrote: “Just to say I’m very much looking forward to hosting my radio show on Monday — whoever the ‘BBC presenter’ in the news is, I have the same message for you as Rylan did earlier: it certainly ain’t me.”

ADVERTISEMENT
Later, Lineker posted: “Hate to disappoint the haters but it’s not me.”

In her interview with The Sun, the teenager’s mother said: “When I see him on telly, I feel sick. I blame this BBC man for destroying my child’s life. Taking my child’s innocence and handing over the money for crack cocaine that could kill my child,” she added.

The BBC said: “We treat any allegations very seriously and we have processes in place to proactively deal with them. As part of that, if we receive information that requires further investigation or examination we will take steps to do this.

“That includes actively attempting to speak to those who have contacted us in order to seek further detail and understanding of the situation. If we get no reply to our attempts or receive no further contact that can limit our ability to progress things but it does not mean our enquiries stop.

“If, at any point, new information comes to light or is provided — including via newspapers — this will be acted upon appropriately, in line with internal processes.”

The allegations will pile more pressure on Tim Davie, the BBC’s director-general, who is expected to be quizzed by journalists when he gives a press conference to launch the corporation’s annual report on Tuesday.

It is the latest scandal to rock the media world, and follows hot on the heels of Phillip Schofield’s fall from grace. The former This Morning presenter quit amid reports of a dispute between himself and his co-star, Holly Willoughby. Within a week of leaving the show, he departed ITV altogether after it emerged that he had had a relationship with a junior employee.

The BBC is still dealing with the fallout of claims of sexual impropriety by the former Radio 1 DJ Tim Westwood.

The board, headed by the interim chairwoman Dame Elan Closs Stephens after the resignation last month of Richard Sharp, was given little advance warning before the story was published.

The fallout is being handled by executives including Davie and Charlotte Moore, the BBC’s chief content officer.

Staff have largely been left in the dark about the episode, as has the board, which has not yet met to discuss the unfolding crisis.

A senior former BBC insider said he doubted whether the corporation “will be able to handle” the fallout, more than a decade after the Jimmy Savile scandal.

David Jordan has been the BBC’s director of editorial policy and standards since 2007, and is paid up to £185,000.

“They still have the same head of ethics and he was part of the debacle last time around,” said the insider. “Because this allegation is in the public domain it will be difficult.”

The BBC has not provided a response to questions since issuing a statement on Saturday morning. Amid such serious claims, that approach will not be able to last long.'

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 9, 2023, 2:47 pm

Whoever it is will be on here in a Liverpool shirt within 24 hours.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 9, 2023, 3:26 pm

Somebody on a very high salary.

Somebody who is also on TV.

Narrows the field considerably.

...or maybe not. Take your pick,

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-62133808
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 10, 2023, 7:31 am

As usual people are already deiding the putcopme with almost zero kno0wledge of the situation. Fact it is ALLEGED a BBC presenter ( we assume ) has pad sums of money for exlicit photos of a child .
They are just that at the moment allegations , nothing proven and certainly no NAME has been mentioned. people a assuming a male presenter ...why ?

It was slightly amusing to see the known main players attempting to distance themselves from the debacle although I feel that was a little too convenient .
BBC playing the correct game , investigation and not naming anyone although I MUST add that the only reason the family complained it seems is that this child went on to fund a drug habit had he funded a home renovation and made the familes life better, would they have complained ?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 10, 2023, 9:08 am

Khun Paul wrote:
July 10, 2023, 7:31 am
As usual people are already deiding the putcopme with almost zero kno0wledge of the situation. Fact it is ALLEGED a BBC presenter ( we assume ) has pad sums of money for exlicit photos of a child .
They are just that at the moment allegations , nothing proven and certainly no NAME has been mentioned. people a assuming a male presenter ...why ?

It was slightly amusing to see the known main players attempting to distance themselves from the debacle although I feel that was a little too convenient .
BBC playing the correct game , investigation and not naming anyone although I MUST add that the only reason the family complained it seems is that this child went on to fund a drug habit had he funded a home renovation and made the familes life better, would they have complained ?
Excellent points, KP. You know your stuff.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 10, 2023, 10:12 am

Khun Paul wrote:

Dunno KP. If it was your kid that was allegedly being exploited, would you be happy?

BTW, the BBC THEMSELVES have cited the gender of the alleged miscreant.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 10, 2023, 10:51 am

tamada wrote:
July 10, 2023, 10:12 am
Khun Paul wrote:

Dunno KP. If it was your kid that was allegedly being exploited, would you be happy?

As you are aware all media enjoys mis-information and bt stating a male means no-one would look elsewhere, when it is possible it could be anyone of the numerous genders employed by the BBC

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 10, 2023, 12:58 pm

The BBC has contacted the police with the name of the presenter who is alleged to have paid money for explicit photographs of a teenager girl.

The Beeb notified their staff of the presenter's name on Saturday: 'The presenter’s colleagues said they became aware of his identity only on Saturday. “At work everyone has been kept out of the loop,” a BBC source said. “He is always very nice. A lot of people will be very disappointed and hurt. He has huge respect from very senior people and less senior people. He comes across as an incredibly normal person.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc- ... -t9kxw7kll

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 11, 2023, 5:21 am

Lawyer says claims BBC presenter broke law are ‘rubbish’

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2023/7/1 ... re-rubbish
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 11, 2023, 10:52 am

Sounds like money grabbing act, maybe a small amount of truth but nothing major, storm in a tea-cup , buit in thisd day and age, throw enough mud around some will stick , often to the detriment of the person casually mentioned. . That is why GOOD people shy away from saying anything and the C*** wins out , We are all catering to the minority who are only allowed to gt away with it because the MAJORITY stay silent .

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 11, 2023, 12:18 pm

My Money is on Jeremy Vyne.......The NONCE !!
Last edited by 747man on July 11, 2023, 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 11, 2023, 12:30 pm

Ooooohhh !! Would You believe it ??......
358056058_3564290357224872_8796522043234290378_n.jpg

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 11, 2023, 2:56 pm

Yes, the presenter who is alleged to be at the centre of the controversy denies any wrongdoing. Furthermore, the BBC has received many complaints against their staff over the past few days, and is unwilling to suspend anyone for it would leave the BBC without any workers. Here is part of the article: ' .Legal firm Child & Child wrote to the BBC to deny the claims, which have dominated newspaper front pages and TV bulletins for three days.

“For the avoidance of doubt, nothing inappropriate or unlawful has taken place between our client and the BBC personality and the allegations reported in The Sun newspaper are rubbish,” the letter said.

It went on to say that the youngster disputed the claims published on Saturday as “totally wrong and there was no truth to it”.

The young person sent a denial to The Sun on Friday evening via WhatsApp saying the statement their mother made to the newspaper was “totally wrong”.

Last night the parents of the individual reasserted their account of the nature of their child’s relationship with the star.....'

'“There are so many senior presenters who have had allegations made against them in the last 24 hours,” a source said. “There are valid points being made today about the reputational damage at the BBC. This is an entirely justified story for the press to cover.”

One former executive said the BBC could not suspend every individual who was subject to complaints because of the sheer volume received.

The media lawyer Mark Stephens said that clients had contacted him after Twitter speculation. “That’s obviously defamatory. Yesterday I had three clients, famous people whose names appeared but were wrongly identified.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bbc- ... -t9kxw7kll

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 11, 2023, 4:02 pm

So who is it then? If all the BBC staff have been told then someone must have leaked it by now.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 11, 2023, 4:45 pm

deankham wrote:
July 11, 2023, 4:02 pm
So who is it then? If all the BBC staff have been told then someone must have leaked it by now.
Since it appears to be only The Sun that's carrying this story (other media are just doing rinse/repeat on the rumors) and lawyers for the alleged victim claiming the alleged victim's parents (who don't appear to have legal counsel) are wrong and the Met saying there's no investigation at this juncture, it could be potentially career-ending if any BBC employee leaked the identity. That and their non-disclosure agreements which must be part of any BBC contract these days. Nobody, not least the BBC, wants a repeat of their woefully ill-advised Cliff Richard "breaking news" event.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 12, 2023, 7:10 am

deankham wrote:
July 11, 2023, 4:02 pm
I look at it this way, who cares, is the ID of the ALLEGED perpretrator going to make one iota of difference to yours or anyones life...NO ...

IS IT GOING TO CHANGE HOW I view the BBC >>>>NOPE .

Will it cause immense ripples in the media World that puts my life at risk ....NO

So again I Say who cares ????

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2023, 2:45 pm

In the light of more revelations in The Sun, the BBC's Jeremy Vine leading a growing call for the mystery celebrity to "self identify" and stop hiding behind his employer.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 12, 2023, 2:49 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
July 10, 2023, 10:51 am
tamada wrote:
July 10, 2023, 10:12 am
Khun Paul wrote:

As you are aware all media enjoys mis-information and bt stating a male means no-one would look elsewhere, when it is possible it could be anyone of the numerous genders employed by the BBC
Umm... Let's see. Hold on a minute. OK! Got it.

Balderdash!!!!
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 12, 2023, 3:44 pm

747man wrote:
July 11, 2023, 12:30 pm
Ooooohhh !! Would You believe it ??.....
JEREMY VINE PIC.jpg
Where's this from?

Return to “World News”