Workshop and house, Non Sa-At ½ way between KK & Udon

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 28, 2016, 1:31 pm

without any water being under pressure, which for a 500 l tank will be considerably more than 85 l. While a 500 l tank will not give you 500 l it will usually give you about 70% under normal domestic pressure - about 350 l
And your source for that statement is where?

I can provide tables for pressure tanks used for smoothing out pump cycling. So far you have made claims without any source to back them up

The pressure in any pressure tank is supplied by (in rural Thailand) by the water pump so its usually going to be between 1.9 and for a more expensive pump 2.8 bar, only if you go to double the price will it be greater. This will provide between .16(.7bar differential) and a maximum of .36 (2bar differential) of the tank volume at any reasonable pressure.
An in-line pump will give far better flow, without power, than any centrifugal
pump of the type you have pictured or described, particularly any constant pressure pump some of which will give no flow at all. This is (or should be) crucial when choosing any pump for a gravity-fed system where the power supply is unreliable.
and an example of "a constant pressure pump which will give no flow" is?
What is a booster/in-line pump?
A type of centrifugal pump used to increase the pressure of liquid that is already flowing from one place to another

I had thought of a pressure tank and dismissed it as being an inefficient expensive option. Roof tanks work, are easy to add to if needed, supply the total amount of water stored, and are cost effective. As to the pump, it is you who have become fixated on the one I mentioned. If you bother to actually read what is written I never said that it was the pump I am going to install. I haven't got to the stage of deciding on pumps yet.
What I do think is worth commenting on, though, in case anyone reading this takes your system as a known one which will solve their problems, is the pitfalls inherent in it.
They are the "pitfalls" you imagine, if they exsist I will post about them.

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » February 28, 2016, 10:03 pm

Using a large domestic pressure tank (500 or 1,000 l) has nothing whatever to do with "smoothing out pump cycling", going by your earlier posts you had no idea that large capacity domestic pressure tanks were readily available, you have no idea what an in-line pump is and how it differs from any of the pumps you have shown or talked about, and you don't understand your own 'Googling' otherwise you wouldn't be claiming that the 'air' side of the pressure tank takes up between 64 and 84% of the tank even when compressed.

I didn't need to do any 'research' on Google to know any of that.

Building a house based on'Google' isn't much wiser than having one built by a farang just because they're a farang. When I was looking for a builder here the only recommendation I got (which, admittedly, was better than none) was for one who advertised "twenty years experience in the area". True, but hardly the whole truth as after doing a search of the 'builder' I found within a couple of minutes that he did indeed have plenty of 'experience in the area' but it was running an ice-cream parlour in a shopping mall in Malaysia. ... and I'm not joking.

You can find virtually anything you want on the 'net, but that doesn't mean it's correct which is why I keep repeating 'ask a plumber' and 'ask a professional'. A good one will come up with a very different answer to you. These threads are all very interesting but the unfortunate reality is that some people wrongly assume that anyone actually building something must know what they're doing as no-one would be stupid enough to build a house themselves and boast about it if they didn't, and that they'd be honest enough to say so if they'd made a major blunder. Wrong!!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2016, 8:18 am

February 26~28
image.jpg
image.jpg
Top parts Needs to be taken down and rebuilt
The problems that can happen if a level or plumb line isn't used

image.jpg
image.jpg
Junctions need to be changed to 2 x 45degree bends
image.jpg
Slight adjustments needed
image.jpg
Kitchen/Livingroom
image.jpg
Junctions need to be changed
image.jpg
Junction need to be changed
image.jpg
Kitchen/Livingroom
image.jpg
Correct junction
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2016, 8:45 am

February 28~29
image.jpg
Replacing section vertically
image.jpg
QC inspection:)
image.jpg
Lighting and power rough in
image.jpg
AAC blocks cut with woodworking tools
image.jpg

Now for something completely different.

I spent about 5 minutes to make a demonstration Rocket Stove. Cost: free. Materials: some discarded AAC block off cuts and a few pieces of discarded 6mm rebar

image.jpg
Rocket stove
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2016, 7:28 pm

Our roof is on the way :D

This afternoon leaving Bangkok heading for us
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Posted on Facebook

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » March 2, 2016, 9:26 pm

We've tried to clean up the last few pages of this thread; but it's difficult. Let's try to stay on topic and refrain from personal commentary or attack. If we are unable to do this, then perhaps this is too controversial a topic for Udon Map.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 3, 2016, 2:42 pm

10:10 am 3rd March

The roof is arriving
image.jpg
Further pictures available: awaiting response to PM from admin.

wallylee
udonmap.com

Post by wallylee » March 4, 2016, 11:24 am

Hi ..STW..house looks really good , well done to you, your wife and the "Team".

Is the Tin for roof ordered to exact length?

If it is ..no waste and minimal cutting..

Keep up the good work.. :D

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 4, 2016, 2:49 pm

wallylee wrote:Hi ..STW..house looks really good , well done to you, your wife and the "Team".

Thanks.

Yes (colourbond 0.5mm) they measured it.

Yes that's right

We will try.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 15, 2016, 9:39 pm

wallylee wrote:Hi ..STW..house looks really good , well done to you, your wife and the "Team".

Further information

As our supply and install was by Steel and Solar Roof themselves they measured the install and supplied extra incase of problems. However we will be charged for the exact amount installed.
Supplied 625 m2 used 618.13 m2
Estimated PU foam 625 m2 installed 570 m2
Flashing 165m installed 125m
Cliplock supplied 1000 used 800

I'm waiting on the final bill but I work it out as about ฿35,000 less than the original quote
They have a 30 year warranty for normal environment and I think as we are not near the sea that is us.

We have received a couple of little gifts from them and the PU foam installer.

marty

Post by marty » March 17, 2016, 1:27 am

More pictures ? \:D/

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 17, 2016, 7:21 pm

marty wrote:More pictures ? \:D/
As you ask, so shall you receive. Though the admins don't seem interested in this thread continuing.
image.jpg
At 8:00 the crane arrived
By 9:00 I was getting concerned, the roof arrived at 10:10
image.jpg
image.jpg
Lucky for us the crane driver is very good
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
The crane deadline was 12:00 and we made it
Good bye to the SSR truck
image.jpg
Good bye with thanks to our crane driver.
image.jpg
If there is any interest I can continue (or not)

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » March 17, 2016, 9:51 pm

yes much interest mate, it's good to see the construction skills of Thai's are improving. don't be perturbed by one a-hole trying to spoil your thread, it's very interesting , the only thing is for me is the size of the place...it's friggin enormous . I know it includes a workshop... but what are you going to use the workshop for....Noah's ark :lol:
Costa del kutchap. Tel 0981657001
Near CH99+V49, 2263, Tambon Mueang Phia, Amphoe Kut Chap, Chang Wat Udon Thani 41250

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 18, 2016, 7:45 am

papafarang wrote:yes much interest mate, it's good to see the construction skills of Thai's are improving. don't be perturbed by one a-hole trying to spoil your thread, it's very interesting , the only thing is for me is the size of the place...it's friggin enormous . I know it includes a workshop... but what are you going to use the workshop for....Noah's ark :lol:
The house and workshop are about 216sqm 120 for the house and 96 for the workshop. However the roofed area is about 500sqm as we have a minimum overhang from the walls 2.5 metres and up to 7.5 at the front. It is quite small really, a living room/kitchen, one bedroom with shower and toilet, a computer room and a storage room.

The workshop isn't that big as a workshop, and has growing room built in. I'm not going to be able to compete with Noah any time soon. :razz: however I do have a simple 3mm skin boat planned for our pool eventually if I ever get "a round tuit"

I've put in a crane (full details and pictures later) so that I should not need to ask SWMBO to help me move sheets of MDF or plywood they can get to 60kg and over, not something that's possible for one person to move without help. Also if I make a wardrobe from 20mm MDF that is some serious weight.

I have also done a little welding and may do more in the future so having a separate area for that will be good.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 18, 2016, 8:29 am

March 3th continued
~March 5th

image.jpg
image.jpg
By the early afternoon
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
March 4th
image.jpg
4th March
March 5th
image.jpg
5th March
image.jpg
image.jpg

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 18, 2016, 8:53 am

March 6 ~March 7

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
24mm copper main supply
image.jpg
Virtually finished
image.jpg
Roofing crew finished
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finished in 4 days

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » March 18, 2016, 9:47 am

@sometimewoodworker
well done - looks great and nice so far.
but i'm a little bit concerned that your roof might be very noisy during rainy season, because i did not see any noise dimming isolation material attached to the roof top metal sheets on your pics.
am i wrong? what do you think?
:-k

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 18, 2016, 10:02 am

samuel wrote:@sometimewoodworker
well done - looks great and nice so far.
but i'm a little bit concerned that your roof might be very noisy during rainy season, because i did not see any noise dimming isolation material attached to the roof top metal sheets on your pics.
am i wrong? what do you think?
:-k
Thanks for the comment

Anticipation is a wonderful thing.

I slightly misspoke when I said finished in 4 days. That was the FFS install team who were doing the colourbond install.

Your answer starts on March 12th :D

wallylee
udonmap.com

Post by wallylee » March 18, 2016, 3:19 pm

Hi STW, your home looks great..
I like the amount of windows you have, great for making lots of light, also the power outlets, you can never have to many.
Nothing like rain on a colourbond roof, when we were kids, all houses had metal roofs, used to lull us to sleep.Still does, after awhile don't even notice it.

Thanks for taking time to post pictures of your beautiful home..

WL

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 18, 2016, 9:25 pm

wallylee wrote:Hi STW, your home looks great..
I like the amount of windows you have, great for making lots of light, also the power outlets, you can never have to many.
Nothing like rain on a colourbond roof, when we were kids, all houses had metal roofs, used to lull us to sleep.Still does, after awhile don't even notice it.

Thanks for taking time to post pictures of your beautiful home..

WL
Thanks for the kind words, although I think that calling it beautiful at the moment needs imagination. Our bedroom has over 6 metres of window and we can have 4 meters of that open.

March 8~9
image.jpg
We had a nice lunch, my favourite German pork knuckle, on 2012 just off the Nong Khai road
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Looking down on the kitchen

Return to “House & Land”