Think before you let anyone on the 'net know where you live

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 13, 2016, 4:41 pm

I was asked the following in another thread in this forum, and I think it merits repeating in a separate thread here:
Jelldog Thorn wrote: Hi JohnG
I'm looking at house builders so keen to know progress in your build from your previous favourable reviews. Any chance of an update & some piccies now it's 4 months down the track?
JohnG wrote:... having first been happy to welcome visitors to see the build I'm afraid that I've had second thoughts as there are simply too many 'strange' people in forum land (particularly this one) so piccies are out. Sorry.
mickojak wrote:Ummm, I think you will find that the strangest person on this forum is you pal!!!!
Mick
By "strange" I would include anyone who repeatedly asks for someone to start a thread on their house build:
mickojak wrote:...So, as I have asked this question of you before, with no response, I will ask it again here.
When are you going to start a thread on your own house build?
As another poster said in response: "Personally for me I would never post my private house on a public forum as I don't want total strangers seeing my family dwelling, it is not a forums business, friends yes, total strangers no way! If I had a huge ego and wanted to brag then maybe I would."

I have no idea if @Jelldog Thorn is genuine or not, but under the circumstances I am a little wary of someone who asks for "some piccies" of my house in their first post, ten minutes after they've just joined the forum.

Purely my own view now, but as a result of the antics by some on this forum and their stalking around the internet, on other forums, and even searching 'JohnG' for several pages on the 'net to see what they can find anywhere else as far afield as the USA and posting the unconnected results here (now removed by admin), I would advise anyone thinking of starting a building thread where their house and their family's private address can be readily identified to be very, very careful indeed before doing so.

... I think a warning to anyone starting a building thread and effectively giving their private and family's address is now not only justified but required.

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 13, 2016, 5:16 pm

JohnG wrote:... I think a warning to anyone starting a building thread and effectively giving their private and family's address is now not only justified but required.
Oh Johnny, I think you are getting a little emotional. I don't think there are any stalkers on here, (except maybe you) :lol:
Some people just never seem to realize that others are purposely winding them up to get a bite, and they take the bait time & time again.
It's hilarious fun for the rest of us.

Most entertaining forum I've ever been on. =D>
Mick

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 13, 2016, 5:22 pm

Always be wary of "little johnny " and his motives
There are lots of jokes out there about his behaviour

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » April 13, 2016, 6:04 pm

each to his own, but personally, I dont think I have a huge ego, or like to brag. I put my house build on here to add something new flavour to the forum,at a time when things were drab, so that I may find readers who had a similar interest, and some 26,000 interests were received..my house is small and cheap so no huge ego there, and nothing to brag about..I was just trying to help others out with the ups and downs of building in Thailand, and how its done compared to back home..my location was never given out, only in a PM to one visitor " Mickojack ' who turned out to be a real down to red dirt aussie, who one might meet in any aussie public bar with a schooner in hand, and an uncouth yarn to spin...he certainly didnt come creeping back in the night and absconed with my rake,,,,but yes John, caution is needed in any place on earth these days

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » April 13, 2016, 6:31 pm

we know who you are and what you want ,stay online and we'll trace your IP address :lol: .
I've never known paranoia , must be hell to deal with ? , but not to worry there's medication and therapy that can be helpful :lol: ,just because your paranoid don't mean their not out to get you :lol:
Costa del kutchap. Tel 0981657001
Near CH99+V49, 2263, Tambon Mueang Phia, Amphoe Kut Chap, Chang Wat Udon Thani 41250

Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Post by Nigglyb » April 13, 2016, 6:33 pm

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas

Mwahahaha
May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 13, 2016, 9:49 pm

maaka wrote:..my location was never given out, only in a PM to one visitor " Mickojack ' who turned out to be a real down to red dirt aussie, who one might meet in any aussie public bar with a schooner in hand, and an uncouth yarn to spin...he certainly didnt come creeping back in the night and absconed with my rake,,,,but yes John, caution is needed in any place on earth these days
As I said similarly in the Local House Builder thread, I may be wrong but as far as I'm aware just because someone is / appears to be "a real down to red dirt aussie" that doesn't stop them being a stalker and a potential danger to others, particularly children, even if they're not too bright at covering their tracks. If someone has the time and motivation to trawl through the internet looking through page after page of links to forums to find someone called 'JohnG' to try to find something out about them, or someone they think may be them, as @mickojak did - fact - then whether they're having "hilarious fun" by "purposely winding (me) up to get a bite" or I'm being "paranoid" I don't want people like that having their "hilarious fun" around my family and my kids.

What might seem "hilarious fun" here may turn out to be very different when family and children are involved.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » April 14, 2016, 8:45 am

There are and have been many instances of an innocuous post or even request turning to be completely something else that could have been construed as dangerous to oneself and possibly family.
BUT as so often the fear of the bad poster, the fear of something untoward is more dangerous than reality, some people are afraid of the silliest things and when they take the time to confront the fear it is nothing.
The internet is a wonderful tool but it has opened so many avenues with which to exploit fears, that you have to have a sane sound thinking head to live peacefully otherwise we would all be locked up in our houses and going out armed to the teeth in order just to go shopping for our daily necessities.

So John G or whoever you are , get your head out of your rectum and think and live OK. There is and has never been anyone I suspect looking to do you or your family any harm , as most of us just wish to live here peacefully, unless that is there is something in your history that would make people want to do you harm and then ONLY you would know that . !!!!

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » April 14, 2016, 8:57 am

JohnG wrote:... I think a warning to anyone ...
Caution is good, JohnG. I agree with you. =D>

Even when I have sold anything movable, I meet the prospective buyer away from my home and bring the item for sale. It's more inconvenient for me than it is for the buyer, but it's what I prefer.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » April 14, 2016, 9:11 am

Now, though more lenient in the past, wouldn't allow someone I didn't personally know on my home build, or invite into my home. Especially if I wasn't here full time.

Someone expressing interest in a home build, since ongoing, and guess a mixer, or welding rig on site that would make a nice addition to the visitors workshop, as easily transportable / stolen. Had a small issue at our home build, similar, but was on the contractor for not securing his equipment better.

Expats by nature, IMHO, are a bit dysfunctional, or they probably wouldn't be expats, and use myself as an example. I haven't met too many 'normal' people here for the many that I have met................LOL

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » April 14, 2016, 9:24 am

I wonder how you can get a house built if you need to know everyone in the work crew personally

"who's that bunch of guys on the pick up"

"it's the builders teerak"

"tell them to bugger off . I don't want strangers round here "

:? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Near CH99+V49, 2263, Tambon Mueang Phia, Amphoe Kut Chap, Chang Wat Udon Thani 41250

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 14, 2016, 9:28 am

papafarang wrote: by papafarang » April 14, 2016, 9:24 am

I wonder how you can get a house built if you need to know everyone in the work crew personally

"who's that bunch of guys on the pick up"

"it's the builders teerak"

"tell them to bugger off . I don't want strangers round here "

It's not what John G is saying at all, all you are doing is point scoring trying to be funny. Workers are not the same as an internet warrior coming to sticky beak. You got your wires crossed there!

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 14, 2016, 10:10 am

JohnG wrote:If someone has the time and motivation to trawl through the internet looking through page after page of links to forums to find someone called 'JohnG' to try to find something out about them, or someone they think may be them, as @mickojak did - fact
Incorrect John. My friend who has a boring job and watches this thread, and thinks it is hilarious, found that info about you and just sent me the link. :^o
JohnG wrote: is / appears to be "a real down to red dirt aussie" that doesn't stop them being a stalker and a potential danger to others, particularly children,
Wow, I've gone from being a "a real down to red dirt aussie", to a stalker and then a potential danger to others, particularly children, overnight.
Are there any Psychiatrists on this forum?
A member needs serious help, but I doubt whether
papafarang wrote:there's medication and therapy that can be helpful
to this guy.

Maaka, lock your house, I'm coming to get you :D
Then again, it's a long drive to your place. I will let you know when I am coming so you can have a cold beer waiting for me. :lol:
Khun Paul wrote:So John G or whoever you are , get your head out of your rectum and think and live OK. There is and has never been anyone I suspect looking to do you or your family any harm , as most of us just wish to live here peacefully
Correct.
Khun Paul wrote:unless that is there is something in your history that would make people want to do you harm and then ONLY you would know that
I wonder??????
coxo wrote:It's not what John G is saying at all, all you are doing is point scoring trying to be funny. Workers are not the same as an internet warrior coming to sticky beak. You got your wires crossed there!
Wow, Coxo, (the liar who said he was leaving the forum for good), you're back to stick up for your old mate.
Didn't think it would take long :^o

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » April 14, 2016, 10:15 am

just having a laugh, no ones trying to score points ? if people are worried about strangers then their looking the wrong way. 99% of people are just people, you have to keep perspective on these things . i was only trying to keep things lite. here's some info . and to tell the truth if someone is so worried about the internet they should avoid it . truth is it's more likely someone you know well that's the dangerous one.
just recently a person I know had his two children abducted, by his wife, he don't know where they are, or when he will see them again. but why am I explaining this, you all know this anyway. have none of you ever been robbed by a friend ?, found out your wife is having an affair with one of your work mates ? or even found out that somchai the nice house builder kept copies of all your house keys ? by the way if you just had a new house built ,for security reasons I suggest changing locks just to be on the safe side, but that's just common sense.

+ In the U.S., the proportion of murder victims who knew their assailants to victims killed by strangers is about 3-to-1. (Source: U.S. Department of Justice.)

+ Sixty-four percent of women who are raped know their attackers; and 61 percent of female victims of aggravated assault know their attackers. (Men, on the other hand, are more likely to be assaulted by a stranger.) (Source: D.O.J.)

+ How about child abduction? Isn’t that the classic stranger crime? This 2007 Slate article explains that of the missing children in one recent year, “203,900 were family abductions, 58,200 were nonfamily abductions, and only 115 were ‘stereotypical kidnappings,’ defined in one study as ‘a nonfamily abduction perpetrated by a slight acquaintance or stranger in which a child is detained overnight, transported at least 50 miles, held for ransom, or abducted with the intent to keep the child permanently, or killed.'”

+ And if you’re really concerned about mass murder — which, given its rarity, you really shouldn’t be — you’d probably do well to look around your neighborhood instead of focusing on strangers, or foreigners, or people who look like they might, maybe, possibly be foreigners. A study of mass murderers between 1976 and 1995 found that 63 percent of them were white, 33 percent were black, and just 3 percent all other ethnicities.

So the next time your brain insists on fearing strangers, try to tell it to cool out a bit. It’s not that you necessarily need to insist that it fear your friends and family instead — unless, of course, you are friends with someone like Bernie Madoff. Don’t forget that the greatest financial fraud in history was committed primarily among friends. And with friends like that, who needs strangers?

mickojak
udonmap.com

Post by mickojak » April 14, 2016, 10:22 am

Thanks Papa,
Great information.
Glad to see someone's got a sense of humour around here. =D>
Mick

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » April 14, 2016, 10:53 am

actually my mistake, I thought the thread was put up as a troll thread to be ridiculed .
"Think before you let anyone on the 'net know where you live" goes with "never give your bank details to anyone"
just common sense, in truth some people have never learned life skills and social skills, maybe that's why the don't understand humour and tend to be rude or aggressive towards people they have never met. good news is I have met people that turn out to have a completely different persona in real life than on the internet. but what do I know about a person I have never met, they might come across as an a-hole ,but be a really nice guy.
or they could be a real paranoid that thinks a farang is out to rob their house and steal their children. but that's very unlikely. and yes I have had my belongings robbed here, by somchai the buffalo guy who I kindly let use my ponds to water his beasts... yes and I didn't see that coming either

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » April 14, 2016, 12:22 pm

Listen Mick, I will do what I want when I want without any input from you. You were obviously a bully or bullied as a youngster which comes over very clearly by your use of words, stay out of my space.

wallylee
udonmap.com

Post by wallylee » April 14, 2016, 12:48 pm

Hi..are there any Moderators on Udonmap ?

If there is..maybe if they read this thread..some of the stuff posted..totally inappropriate for a public forum..
What ever is written stays forever on the WWW.
Maybe people could PM the person they want to .whatever..and have their measuring contest less public.
Isn't a Forum, a -place where others exchange ideas, tips hints, etc..
Not slanderous name calling..

Cheers..

JohnG
udonmap.com

Post by JohnG » April 14, 2016, 12:50 pm

12345 wrote: I haven't met too many 'normal' people here ...LOL
Sometimes it’s the “ ‘normal’ people” who turn out to be the ones you should have worried about most.
papafarang wrote:"Think before you let anyone on the 'net know where you live" goes with "never give your bank details to anyone" just common sense,
“Common sense” which anyone posting details and pictures of their house build on a forum seems to overlook, and which I would also have overlooked had it not been for being surprised to see that I was being ‘stalked’ here.

… and hardly comparable to giving your bank details, since posting a picture of your bank hardly gives away where you and your family live …

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 14, 2016, 1:00 pm

This is getting as lively as the pending Republican convention ... :D
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “House & Land”