Tipping (in Udon) Gone Mad?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 31, 2013, 4:05 am

I think what the op was trying to say is he is tired of Thais looking at farang as a source of income, like someone else said it is not done for Thais. I checked with my Wife and she agreed. Tip jars are not set out for Thais like this.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » July 31, 2013, 11:14 am

Thank you for the succint summary, JYY. You show that your reading comprehension doesn't need any brushing up, unlike others who have put words into my mouth that I never used, and have torn the message that I wanted to convey completely out of its context. =D>
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » July 31, 2013, 12:26 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:Thank you for the succint summary, JYY. You show that your reading comprehension doesn't need any brushing up, unlike others who have put words into my mouth that I never used, and have torn the message that I wanted to convey completely out of its context. =D>
You are welcome, I view some comments on here as entertainment and quite often a laugh or two thrown in. It also gives bored grumpy people a chance to vent, sort of like an old dog who really can't bite anymore but still can growl a little. :D

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 31, 2013, 5:57 pm

Us Australasians are not into this tipping thing
Comes from our scottish jewish kiwish background ie poor farming country life ( but rich compared to famers here)
but I did tip the yellow book maker as got mine when not intitled to at the time
did most of my working life in Oz building industry where not money but grog was given and recieved almost daily as the tip hence the drinking problem ( can't get enough)
Had buildings constructed here and gave the lads lao cou nearly daily not that they exepected this

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 31, 2013, 8:05 pm

I bought a few odd things in Villa today.....about 280 Baht. Gave the cashier 300 Baht.....she got ready to give me 20 Baht change..........and I considered the fact that she was probably a university graduate, probably receiving minimum or not much more than minimum wage, she gave me a nice smile when I approached her counter, she handled my merchandise with care and efficiency....but since there was no tip jar available, I took my 20 Baht change.
Then I went to the Bangkok Bank to get a new bankbook issued (really? 2013 and we're still using bankbooks?). The friendly woman, most certainly a university graduate, had me sign my name a half-dozen times, stamped canceled in my old bankbook a dozen times, issued a new book with another variety of stamps....all done efficiently and with a smile. I thought about withdrawing a fair amount from my savings to help her finance her shiny new mobile phone or fancy hairdo, but since no tip jar was available, I declined.
Hope this tip jar thingee doesn't take off. I could be out of a lot of money in just a few trips downtown!

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”