rickfarang
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by rickfarang » September 22, 2012, 1:57 am

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by WBU ALUM » September 22, 2012, 4:29 am

One of the easiest things I ever did, and it was free.

Sat there about an hour with my witnesses. Had a picture taken. Signed some forms. Waited about 16 days. Got my Yellow Book.

It's not something that is necessary, but it sure cuts through the red tape when banks and government offices see that you have one. I always take it with me on any official business, and it saves me quite a bit of time.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » October 9, 2012, 9:35 pm

Well, after countless visits to the government office, countless papers to sign and countersign by me, the wife and my witnesses (3 of them, all of who had to be of a prominent status) a wait of nearly 5 weeks, and finally I have the finished article, the cosseted yellow book..... An apology from the desk clerk for the time it took to produce albeit with a smirk, but never mind, ordeal over..... Now onward to start with immigration..........

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by WBU ALUM » October 9, 2012, 9:46 pm

Chriss wrote:Well, after countless visits to the government office, countless papers to sign and countersign by me, the wife and my witnesses (3 of them, all of who had to be of a prominent status) a wait of nearly 5 weeks, and finally I have the finished article, the cosseted yellow book..... An apology from the desk clerk for the time it took to produce albeit with a smirk, but never mind, ordeal over..... Now onward to start with immigration..........
You got it. Congrats!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Brian Davis » October 20, 2012, 1:35 pm

I was starting to get a complex. It seems every time I go to a government office, there’s a problem (and ending up arguing with TW too!) But having decided to acquire a yellow book and reading through the posts, admittedly some very old, it’s not me – just another Thai administrative mess. Why procedure should vary so greatly from one Amphur to another? – well, I guess we could all come up with reasons for that.

As well as having to provide witnesses, go to Immigration, various known documentation, the Phen Amphur is suggesting not only do I need translated copies of my passport and provide details of my parents, these documents have to be rubber-stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Whether there’s a need to go through the British Embassy first, rather like the affirmation of freedom to marry form, I’ve no idea.

Can I ask members – has anyone else has to follow this procedure in securing a yellow book? I do see one member referred to it, but the need disappeared on payment!

Incidentally, I have been told of one Udon ‘shop’, which will deal with the MFA on your behalf, saving travel to Bangkok.

A second question. I heard that there might be a branch of the MFA in Khon Kaen, perhaps able to complete the same red tape procedures as Bangkok? Any ideas?

Thanks.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by jackspratt » October 20, 2012, 1:47 pm

I required translations of the passport front page, and my O-A visa - it was certified by the accredited translator, and did not require anything from the MFA.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by jimboLV » October 20, 2012, 2:28 pm

Brian I don't know if it would be of any help as I'm in a different province, but my wife translated my passport, and it didn't need to be certified, especially by the MFA. Having moved here from Udon there is certainly a difference in the rules, not only for yellow books, but immigration as well. And don't even think about the Land Office.

I don't blame you for getting a complex, I don't think I could handle these things by myself. As I said previously my wife handles all dealings with the government, except Immigration, and never any problems. But I should point out that she has lived here almost her entire life. Usually any government office we go to she runs into one of her childhood friends who works there, and can tell her, in Thai, what needs to be done. In fact one of the witnesses for our yellow book was a friend of hers that works in that office. I'm not suggesting any chicanery, more of a case that she can ask what needs to be done and they will help her out.

That brings up a good point. Surely one of the forum members has a TW that is well connected, or possibly even works for the government, who would volunteer to ease your way through the maze of regulations, procedures, etc. Or there already might be a business that does thus in Udon. Sort of a "good ole boy network", except in thus case it's most likely a girl. Just a thought.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Brian Davis » October 21, 2012, 8:00 am

Silly me, not picking up that there were two yellow book threads happening and I’d actually contributed to the other. Doh!

Thanks for your input JimboLV. Although I’ve a young wife (yippee for me!), she’s no shrinking violet on occasions. Yes, I noticed when she was pregnant and now young son, a couple of people she knew at the hospital and Amphur got her dealt with quickly but, like yourself, no dodgy favours.

She’s a help to me, but the frustration which sometimes surfaces, knowing how corrupt some officers are, is the unwarranted respect she gives them. Don’t get me wrong, I know very well about being civil at these offices etc. and, after all, they are the ones with ‘the power’. But, when I’ve shown my wife examples, not least through the help of forums, that there’s no consistency and it’s being made up as they go along, she’s unhappy with me that I don’t just accept what they’re saying. I may be hoping too much, but even as a guest in the country, when poor organization causes me unnecessary hassle, time, inconvenience and money, I think I should say so and wish for improvement. Naïve or what?

I don’t know why there should be different procedures from Amphur to Amphur, or Chungwat to Chungwat. I can’t imagine there are any local circumstances which would justify varying the procedure.

I’ve love to see if Bangkok/centrally-generated instructions exist concerning the issue of yellow books. Of course, if like Immigration, it’s left to interpretation and officers’ discretion, well we know what that means.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Chriss » October 21, 2012, 12:25 pm

Brian,

For my recent escapade into yellow book country, I needed a translation of my passport picture page which I did myself using Google translate, no need for official stamps, also had to provide details of parents, full names and DoB's, initially they asked for date of deaths but later didn't need that, parents info had to be translated into Thai which the wife did with a little help from a friend and again no need for any official certification.
This was in Kutchap. 5 weeks of back and forth to the Ampur office, a meeting with the head honcho, 3 witnesses, had to be Police or Teachers, a bucket load of paperwork and my fingerprints on file and bingo said yellow book now in my possession..

let it be

Post by let it be » July 21, 2013, 12:37 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:My understanding,You don't get a blue or yellow book with a rental.

Or without a "registered" Marriage.

patriot
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by patriot » July 22, 2013, 9:39 am

With all due respect guys I obtained a yellow book for my rented house, the lease for which is in my name.
Try your local Tessabaan offices, they are normally more friendly than the Amphur.

Good luck!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Brian Davis » July 29, 2013, 1:35 pm

Just a heads up here although, as usual, I have to say something may have been lost in communication/translation.

I obtained a yellow book, partly in the belief that I would be entitled to a degree of free Government hospital treatment. A neighbour of mine, similar circumstances although in possession of a book longer, has enjoyed free treatment including dental work. But it hasn’t worked for me and a series of injections following a cat bite (successfully saving the thing from my dogs) has perhaps cost me 2,000 baht.

TW went off to the hospital to query the anomaly. It appears there are new instructions in the offing stopping free treatment, unless you’re covered by insurance costing 2,800 ? baht per annum – not sure if that includes dentistry.
Perhaps other members can add information?

Oh well, it seems the yellow book is helpful in getting some things completed.

kubotatim
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by kubotatim » July 29, 2013, 3:17 pm

I have been told, when I asked that you have to be 65 or over for free medical cover, mind you 2800 per year sounds like a bargain.

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Quanteen » July 29, 2013, 3:45 pm

In my opinion, giving (and receiving) advice regarding Thai officialdom on forums like this is nearly useless.
Every visit will be different, even if the circumstances aren't.

Immigration, yellow books, driving licenses, children's birth certificates, traffic laws, land office laws ... there is no standard. There is no consistency. There is, if you're lucky, a very vague and ephemeral notion of "starting point." Beyond that the course could take any of a thousand bizarre twists all based on the whim of the official involved, the willingness of the accused (sorry, resident) to pay extra and the complexity of the task at hand.

Relaying your experience in an official Thai office to this or any other forum is useful only insofar as it highlights only one of a myriad of possible outcomes -- under exact same circumstances. Change the circumstances even a single jot, and it's a whole new game.

Most Thais with whom I've discussed this matter feel exactly the same way. They say its disgraceful.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Frankie 1 » July 29, 2013, 4:14 pm

1. You can get a yellow book (registration of address) when you rent or just stay at somebody's house (of course you need the approval of the house owner).

2. The yellow book is only a formal registration of address. In Thailand it's not necessary to live at the place where one is registered. Many Thais live in Bangkok, but are registered in another province, hence the huge traffic jams when people have to vote (they vote where they are registered, which is not necissarily where they live).
Therefore immigration doesn't look at the yellow book (registered address), but at the place where you actually stay at the moment, which doesn't have to be the same address.

3. I'm not sure, but I''ve been told that one can get free (30 baht) medical treatment after having a yellow book for 5 years.

4. When you get a yellow book, you also get a Thai social security number.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Frankie 1 » July 29, 2013, 4:25 pm

Brian Davis wrote:...and provide details of my parents, these documents have to be rubber-stamped by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Whether there’s a need to go through the British Embassy first, rather like the affirmation of freedom to marry form, I’ve no idea.
Bring your birth certificate. If you are married then you already have the proper legalization stamps on it. Make a couple of copies and sign the copies.

Don't make it more difficult than it is.

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Frankie 1 » July 29, 2013, 4:34 pm

Frankie 1 wrote:3. I'm not sure, but I''ve been told that one can get free (30 baht) medical treatment after having a yellow book for 5 years.
Correction, (what I've been told...) free medical treatment (30 baht) in government hospitals when you are married for longer than 5 years and have a yellow book.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by semperfiguy » July 29, 2013, 5:41 pm

Frankie 1 wrote:1. You can get a yellow book (registration of address) when you rent or just stay at somebody's house (of course you need the approval of the house owner).

2. The yellow book is only a formal registration of address. In Thailand it's not necessary to live at the place where one is registered. Many Thais live in Bangkok, but are registered in another province, hence the huge traffic jams when people have to vote (they vote where they are registered, which is not necissarily where they live).
Therefore immigration doesn't look at the yellow book (registered address), but at the place where you actually stay at the moment, which doesn't have to be the same address.

3. I'm not sure, but I''ve been told that one can get free (30 baht) medical treatment after having a yellow book for 5 years.

4. When you get a yellow book, you also get a Thai social security number.
I do wish that one of our more resourceful, connected and concerned English/Thai speaking members of the forum would take it upon themselves to get to the bottom of this issue with the Yellow Book and free medical care and let the rest of us know so we can put this matter to bed once and for all. I'm afraid that with my inability to speak Thai I wouldn't get very far if I tried to get an answer.

I use the Military Hospital quite often since my wife is a retired teacher and gets mostly free care there. I pay 50 baht for a doctor's visit and then the medication and other services is charged at the same rate as a Thai who would have to pay for the use of the facilities if not qualified to receive free care.

I know of one American who recently had shoulder surgery at the Udon General Hospital, and since his wife was well connected he was able to get free "everything".

And yes, with the issuance of a Yellow Book there is a number assigned to you which is similar to a Thai national's ID number.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by Quanteen » July 29, 2013, 5:58 pm

Correction, (what I've been told...) free medical treatment (30 baht) in government hospitals when you are married for longer than 5 years and have a yellow book.
I've been married a dozen years and about a year after I got a yellow book, my wife inquired at the hospital and was told to take a hike. There are other farangs who live nearby who have the Thai medical card. I don't know if their wives are of the privileged class.

Thanks for proving my point.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Yellow House Books

Post by WhoUrDaddy » July 29, 2013, 8:04 pm

Maybe they work for gov't, teachers or po po. I know a few entitled to full thai bennies because of their wives.

Don't take it personal, I know Thais on the 30 baht plan and gold plan that have been told to go home and die, when treatment was available. They don't want to waste their time and not get paid.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”