Tipping (in Udon) Gone Mad?

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » July 29, 2013, 9:52 pm

[Rant Mode On] Last month I went to the Naga Cardiology Clinic in Udondutsadee Rd for a check-up. After the doctor told me that he hadn’t found any problems, the nurse gave me the bill that I had to settle at their cash desk, just opposite the information desk.
I was surprised to see a box at the cash desk, marked “TIPS” with some 20-baht bills in it.
WTF! Why was I expected to tip staff for just doing their jobs???

Today I went to the Government Project shop in Central to buy avocados. Same thing. A box at the cash desk, hinting for tips. For what service??? I’d walked into the shop, nobody attended me, I picked up my avocados myself, took them to the cashier unaided, but they are still expecting me to give a tip???
Who’s next? The doormen at Central? The staff at the 7-Elevens? The songthaew driver, the postman, the refuge collector, etc. etc. ???

I’ve worked for 40 years but have never been given a tip. I only tip for services beyond the ordinary. For instance, I do tip the parking attendants at Talad Preecha because they always really do their utmost to find us a parking spot, even if the place is chock-a-block full, but now it would seem that even shop attendants are expecting tips!
Come on, take a hike!

I remember that not so long ago I left the change I got back as a tip for the waitress in a restaurant. When I was already outside she came running after me, telling me I'd forgotten my change on the table. How Udon has changed! [/Rant Mode Off]

I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Post by Quanteen » July 29, 2013, 10:51 pm

Why was I expected to tip staff for just doing their jobs???
Tips are always optional, don't get worked up over it.

I've never seen, nor would I give a tip to a doctor's office or hospital or any other professional doing his/her job.

But I wouldn't get upset over it, either.

dbriggins
udonmap.com

Post by dbriggins » July 29, 2013, 11:30 pm

Bloody Americans...Now everyone expects a tip.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 29, 2013, 11:37 pm

Now I didn't say that .... won't say it's not the first thing that crossed my mind though :lol:

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » July 29, 2013, 11:50 pm

I'm an american I can't say that i'm stingy.In the us ya go to A dunkin donuts and there's A tip jar.I sometimes give them A tip.I mean the employees are probably just getting near minimum wage.Probably in Udon many employees aren't making big money either.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 29, 2013, 11:58 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:[Rant Mode On] Last month I went to the Naga Cardiology Clinic in Udondutsadee Rd for a check-up. After the doctor told me that he hadn’t found any problems, the nurse gave me the bill that I had to settle at their cash desk, just opposite the information desk.
I was surprised to see a box at the cash desk, marked “TIPS” with some 20-baht bills in it.
WTF! Why was I expected to tip staff for just doing their jobs???

Today I went to the Government Project shop in Central to buy avocados. Same thing. A box at the cash desk, hinting for tips. For what service??? I’d walked into the shop, nobody attended me, I picked up my avocados myself, took them to the cashier unaided, but they are still expecting me to give a tip???
Who’s next? The doormen at Central? The staff at the 7-Elevens? The songthaew driver, the postman, the refuge collector, etc. etc. ???

I’ve worked for 40 years but have never been given a tip. I only tip for services beyond the ordinary. For instance, I do tip the parking attendants at Talad Preecha because they always really do their utmost to find us a parking spot, even if the place is chock-a-block full, but now it would seem that even shop attendants are expecting tips!
Come on, take a hike!
Tut. This post takes this months top spot for making OT cringe with embarrassment.

OT....... \:D/

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » July 30, 2013, 2:27 am

Baltasar G,
I have noticed these days a number of places have tip boxes , jars etc but not that many to worry about and some places i visit i wish they had a tip box to get rid of this rich falangs satang coins they insist on giving me which only come out later in the washing machine. But on seeing a tip box or jar I never feel obliged to give anything to any one.I have never seen any one point to the box. Did they indicate they wanted the tip to you?
You have worked 40 years and never recieved a tip. ;) Tips come in many guises and to not receive just one in 40 years of work would be unusual and I imagine a dissapointment or you have not been honest :^o .
You visited a cardiologist and I am glad you were lucky to go away in good order, my experience visiting a cardiologist while living in Singapore, is I ended up shaved down and on the slab 5 days later with a full bypass, but i still managed to walk to his clinic 2 months later just before xmas and delivered him 2 bottles of red wine (because that's healthy for hearts) and a bottle of bubbly and a big box of biscuits for the girls as a tip to show my appreciation for finding the problem and saving my life at ther same time making the experience a non to serious event. They said that it was one of the only gifts they had ever received.( bloody chinese singaporeans) They had no tip jar and expected nothing but still got something for their efforts. They were over the moon and actually could not believe that a patient would walk 4 km to deliver a Tip. But thats me. Don't worry about tips sometimes a smile is enough which i am sure you have plenty of.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 30, 2013, 7:03 am

I recently experienced the exact opposite. A shop that flatly refused to accept a tip.
My petrol strimmer developed a leak at the bottom of the fuel tank. I took it back to where I bought it. Told the lady what was wrong, she spoke some English, and I was told it would be ready on Monday. Monday morning at 8.00am she rings to say everything OK. I explain I pick up in the afternoon. I roll up at 3.00pm the shop looks shut, Buddhist holiday. The shop was shut but she had stayed there for me to collect the strimmer despite her wanting to go to Central Plaza to do some shopping. The bill for a new tube from the tank and a service. 100baht. I was happy with the service provided and gave her a tip with the bill. She refused the tip. "100baht only" she kept saying despite my prompting to accept a tip.
If anyone is interested, the shop is on the way into town from the Global ring road traffic lights. On the right hand side, about half way from the lights to the railway crossing.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » July 30, 2013, 12:04 pm

old-timer wrote:Tut. This post takes this months top spot for making OT cringe with embarrassment.
That, sir, coming from you of all people, I take as a very big compliment.

@Galee
That’s what the rant is about. Putting up a jar/box begging for tips is 100% falang driven behaviour. Tipping is NOT part of the Thai culture. Thais who have little or no interaction with falangs generally do not expect you to tip. Have you ever seen a box with ‘ทิป’ on it?
When I go out with my Thai friends they hardly ever tip, and on the rare occasions that they do it’s just the small change that they leave. I’m sure they would NEVER give a tip to a shop cashier.
I hope I die in my sleep like my grand dad did, not screaming like his passengers

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » July 30, 2013, 12:24 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:
I only tip for services beyond the ordinary.
So it's OK for you to tip when you think service goes beyond the normal, but when I consider they deserve a tip you think it's wrong. Amazing. :shock:

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » July 30, 2013, 12:36 pm

Balthasar G. wrote:
old-timer wrote:Tut. This post takes this months top spot for making OT cringe with embarrassment.
That, sir, coming from you of all people, I take as a very big compliment.

@Galee
That’s what the rant is about. Putting up a jar/box begging for tips is 100% falang driven behaviour. Tipping is NOT part of the Thai culture. Thais who have little or no interaction with falangs generally do not expect you to tip. Have you ever seen a box with ‘ทิป’ on it?
When I go out with my Thai friends they hardly ever tip, and on the rare occasions that they do it’s just the small change that they leave. I’m sure they would NEVER give a tip to a shop cashier.
A rant about a tip jar? Can't be healthy for the blood pressure. There's a world of difference between an expected tip and a tip jar. KFC, McDonald's, all-you-can-eat buffet in 2 hours, air conditioning, ice-skating, mini-skirts and high heels......among a few other things not part of Thai culture. But God forbid if an expat can't get his peanut butter or mayonnaise in the local grocery store! :lol:

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » July 30, 2013, 12:51 pm

A rant about a tip jar is in the same category as a rant about the exorbitant pricing for imported products in Villa Market. Seems to me a simple solution to both - don't agree, don't participate..... :-" :-"
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » July 30, 2013, 1:47 pm

But some restaurants are tacking on a 10% service fee and the restaurants serve mainly Thais. I think this is more offensive than the tip box. If a worker changes my car battery I'll tip him because more than likely his bos changes is a Cheap Charlie. At a hotel the porter usually expects a tip. The samlaew drivers are essentially strong arming into tipping them with their fare or trying not to give you change. In the end it should be up to the individual patron.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » July 30, 2013, 1:59 pm

parrot wrote:A rant about a tip jar? Can't be healthy for the blood pressure.
No at all, Parrot. This is a tongue-in-cheek rant, as I tried to intimate with the psuedo HTML opening and closing tags. ;)

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » July 30, 2013, 2:05 pm

Galee wrote:
Balthasar G. wrote:
So it's OK for you to tip when you think service goes beyond the normal, but when I consider they deserve a tip you think it's wrong. Amazing. :shock:
That was not what he said. Amazing. You still have a problem understanding English.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » July 30, 2013, 2:11 pm

Let's not forget the all time favorite, tipping at the Immigration Office.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 30, 2013, 3:01 pm

Errr I think it must be a problem with ALL us English understanding English then coz when I read the words ....

I assume that he means ......

please enlighten me as to what these words really mean JR :lol:

Quanteen
udonmap.com

Post by Quanteen » July 30, 2013, 3:12 pm

gudtymchuk wrote:A rant about a tip jar is in the same category as a rant about the exorbitant pricing for imported products in Villa Market. Seems to me a simple solution to both - don't agree, don't participate..... :-" :-"
The fundamental difference is that paying an exorbitant price for a can of beans is not optional in Villa, giving a tip anywhere is.
But you're right, if it offends your sensibilities, don't play.

Balthasar G.
udonmap.com

Post by Balthasar G. » July 30, 2013, 5:38 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Errr I think it must be a problem with ALL us English understanding English then coz when I read the words ....

Huh? :confused:
Qu'est-ce que tu dis?
You lost me there, mate. What's it you want to demonstrate?

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » July 30, 2013, 7:29 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Errr I think it must be a problem with ALL us English understanding English then coz when I read the words ....

I am not your teacher. My comment has nothing to do with you.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”