Advice upon death of an Australian citizen

General Udon Thani topics only!
tamada
udonmap.com

Advice upon death of an Australian citizen

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 10:11 am

An acquaintance of mine is now receiving palliative care in Udon Army hospital. My wife and I are assisting his Thai wife with the formalities of notifying the Australian Embassy, obtaining the letter of release, death certificate before proceeding with a local cremation.

My understanding is that the hospital where he expires will notify the Australian Embassy who will issue the letter of release to the hospital. We will check if this hospital can complete this formality or require next of kin and friends to do some of the work.

I have checked the embassy website and don't think we have missed anything but as always, any advice or additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Advice upon death of an Australian citizen

Post by Whistler » July 2, 2023, 10:31 am

From what I know, you are on the money. If your friend has any Australian assets, he should cover this aspect with an Australian compliant will
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 2, 2023, 11:40 am

Tam
Sorry to add confusion.
I've assisted in quite a few of these.
The death gets The Police notified they then notify embassies..
I've Had to postpone two cremations waiting for death and embassy release certificate.
Then a few other's were The certs hadn't arrived.the Police Said ok
They were cremated without The arrival of docs tit
I didn't question it as didn't want to Open up a pit.
Then having to deal with bank's.pensions etc
The worse part in My experience was having to deal with families overseas.when they get The money grab mentally.
One set of families got into the British embassy's trying to get everything Frozen.
The embassy contracted me explaining The legalities of his Thai wife.
They were Great. they even explained to The money grabber's That they were Lucky to have someone who could liaise with them
The amusing part of this particular Case..he was absolutely skint. But gave most people the impression he was loaded

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 11:51 am

Whistler wrote:
July 2, 2023, 10:31 am
From what I know, you are on the money. If your friend has any Australian assets, he should cover this aspect with an Australian compliant will
Thanks. Your PM's aren't configured to receive a response.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 11:53 am

Hoopoe wrote:
July 2, 2023, 11:40 am
Tam
Sorry to add confusion.
I've assisted in quite a few of these.
The death gets The Police notified they then notify embassies..
I've Had to postpone two cremations waiting for death and embassy release certificate.
Then a few other's were The certs hadn't arrived.the Police Said ok
They were cremated without The arrival of docs tit
I didn't question it as didn't want to Open up a pit.
Then having to deal with bank's.pensions etc
The worse part in My experience was having to deal with families overseas.when they get The money grab mentally.
One set of families got into the British embassy's trying to get everything Frozen.
The embassy contracted me explaining The legalities of his Thai wife.
They were Great. they even explained to The money grabber's That they were Lucky to have someone who could liaise with them
The amusing part of this particular Case..he was absolutely skint. But gave most people the impression he was loaded
He will pass in care of the hospital so no need for police involvement which apparently is the case if one choses to expire at home. Also not privy to the affairs of his estate so just assisting with the pre-cremation formalities.

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 2, 2023, 12:11 pm

I've been in that situation on two occasions and found the Consular Section of the Australian Embassy extremely helpful and easy to talk too. They will need a copy of his Passport (which I just emailed to them) and Death Certificate when available, maybe in this case the hospital will do both.

Providing his next of kin, in Australia, are OK with his Cremation in Thailand there will be no problems or hoops to jump through (I figure that has been sorted by now?). The Embassy is not really interested in Estates etc.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 2, 2023, 12:16 pm

tamada wrote:
July 2, 2023, 11:51 am
Whistler wrote:
July 2, 2023, 10:31 am
Thanks. Your PM's aren't configured to receive a response.
Fixed
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » July 2, 2023, 6:27 pm

tamada wrote:
July 2, 2023, 11:53 am
Hoopoe wrote:
July 2, 2023, 11:40 am
Tam
Sorry to add confusion.
He will pass in care of the hospital so no need for police involvement which apparently is the case if one choses to expire at home. Also not privy to the affairs of his estate so just assisting with the pre-cremation formalities.

Ta
tam
Just a bit More information on My experience on all The death's.
Those That were in hospital.intensive care.
Etc once it was decided there's nothing More they can do (or The monies running out. I'm talking foreigners) were sent home to die still wired up to any machines That were keeping them alive .
(This can also create problem for those in rental accommodation As The lessee won't allow it)
I've seen two taken out to The farm's.
Maybe something to do with hospital's keeping death's at hospital Numbers down
Just a heads-up on possible next move

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » July 3, 2023, 12:00 am

tamada wrote:
July 2, 2023, 10:11 am
An acquaintance of mine is now receiving palliative care in Udon Army hospital. My wife and I are assisting his Thai wife with the formalities of notifying the Australian Embassy, obtaining the letter of release, death certificate before proceeding with a local cremation.

My understanding is that the hospital where he expires will notify the Australian Embassy who will issue the letter of release to the hospital. We will check if this hospital can complete this formality or require next of kin and friends to do some of the work.

I have checked the embassy website and don't think we have missed anything but as always, any advice or additional information will be greatly appreciated.

Ta
tam
Hi Tam

In some small way your friend is lucky having a Thai wife and others to assist him at this time of need.

But I suspect the process might be a little bit more difficult if he/she was a Foreigner on their own (not married or not in a relationship), with no one having POA over their affairs at that time.

I often wonder how difficult the authorization process with the hospital and or with the police, would be, or even how one would obtain a letter of release from the Australian Embassy to the Hospital, if the person was single status foreigner living in Thailand, with no immediate family their.

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”