Cricket 2023

General sports news and discussions.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Cricket 2023

Post by tamada » July 5, 2023, 6:59 am

Epic dummy spit there. Toys all over the bloody shop.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 5, 2023, 8:59 am

tamada wrote:
July 5, 2023, 6:59 am
Yes. Why can't you pommy sooks just accept the umpires decision and move onto the next game?
Watch Me!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 5, 2023, 12:30 pm

marjamlew wrote:
July 5, 2023, 8:59 am
tamada wrote:
July 5, 2023, 6:59 am
Yes. Why can't you pommy sooks just accept the umpires decision and move onto the next game?
Yes! Speak up you "pommy sooks". I'm still buzzin' after Scotland's recent wins. It's a win-or-die game (for the Cloggies) tomorrow.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: The Spirit of Cricket

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 5, 2023, 12:47 pm

marjamlew wrote:
July 5, 2023, 6:25 am
The Spirit of Cricket
Can you believe it? The national meltdown. The sanctimony. The holier than thou arrogance. The English.

There are two astounding aspects to the Jonny Bairstow run out. The first is the delusion that has been revealed within English cricket and, it seems, the entire nation.

The delusion is that they think they own and regulate the concept of ‘the spirit of the game.’ For them it’s their right to give the rest of us a good old dressing down – no, a ferocious scolding – about what is, and isn’t fair.

And, of course, for them there’s no need to be consistent with their deliberations. They didn’t seem to care about the spirit of the game a decade ago when the umpire inexplicably missed Stuart Broad clearly edging the ball to be caught at first slip.

Broad knew he edged it. The Australians knew he edged it. Broad stood his ground. Given the obsession his country seems to have with upholding all things that fall under ‘the spirit of the game’, one would have expected Broad to walk. He didn’t.

On Sunday, Broad was brought to the crease as the next batter in line after Bairstow. When he arrived in the middle of the ground, it seemed he had the almighty spirit pulsating through his moral conscience. He told wicketkeeper, Alex Carey, that the Bairstow run-out would be what he’s forever remembered for.

This is the same Stuart Broad who said after he edged to slip and didn’t walk:

“Those things aren’t remembered. It’s winning the series that will be remembered. We do have a win-at-all-costs mentality. I think we’re quite an unpleasant team to play against at the moment. Teams won’t play against us and enjoy the experience. That’s want we want.”

Anyone else smell the stench of hypocrisy?

The second staggering aspect of the whole episode is the reaction from the locals. From the bloated elitists in the MCC long-room chanting ‘cheat’ to the Australian players as they walked past, the crowd chanting ‘same old Aussies, same old cheats’, the less than squeaky clean coach who won’t have a beer with the Aussies, the journalist asking if we’ll see an underarm bowl from the Australians during the series, to the typically unhinged front pages of the nation’s newspapers.

They scream at us with bluster and condemnation, insisting we don’t understand sportsmanship, or respect the spirit of the game.

But the truth is, it’s the English who have let themselves down and acted like bad sports far more than the Australians. Fundamental to being a good sport and upholding the spirit of the game is the notion of accepting the umpire’s decision.

Only a day before the run-out incident, Mitchell Starc appeared to take a catch – he controlled it, then upon falling to the ground, slid the ball along the ground. The umpire deemed that because his hand was not under the ball, it was not a catch. The decision was, frankly, bulldust.

But while disappointed, and probably a little disillusioned, the Australians got on with it. After all, respecting the umpire’s decision is fundamental to upholding the game’s spirit.

Of course, the English were ok with that decision because it went their way. But a day later, when the shoe was on the other foot, the nation was engulfed in an almighty – and it must be said – unflattering meltdown.

They seem confused. Cheating is when you transgress the laws of the game. We’ve been there before. But whatever way you look at it, Australia did not do that on Sunday at Lords.

But that won’t stop the English – they’ll go on beating their chest, stomping their feet, bleating, chanting about Bazball and the legacy which they’re yet to create, and, of course, the importance of the spirit of the game.

Their famous supporter group, the Barmy Army, will sing about sandpaper and Australian’s being cheats. The rest of the fans will boo the Australian players.

And it will be all ok, because don’t forget, the English are the arbiters of what’s banter, sledging, what feels right, sportsmanship, and the spirit of the game. Just like they decide when the ball is dead and when the over has been called. The rest of us appear to live in their world.

Except, so far, the part about winning.

Can you believe it? The national meltdown. The sanctimony. The holier than thou arrogance. The English.

There are two astounding aspects to the Jonny Bairstow run out. The first is the delusion that has been revealed within English cricket and, it seems, the entire nation.

The delusion is that they think they own and regulate the concept of ‘the spirit of the game.’ For them it’s their right to give the rest of us a good old dressing down – no, a ferocious scolding – about what is, and isn’t fair.

And, of course, for them there’s no need to be consistent with their deliberations. They didn’t seem to care about the spirit of the game a decade ago when the umpire inexplicably missed Stuart Broad clearly edging the ball to be caught at first slip.

Broad knew he edged it. The Australians knew he edged it. Broad stood his ground. Given the obsession his country seems to have with upholding all things that fall under ‘the spirit of the game’, one would have expected Broad to walk. He didn’t.

On Sunday, Broad was brought to the crease as the next batter in line after Bairstow. When he arrived in the middle of the ground, it seemed he had the almighty spirit pulsating through his moral conscience. He told wicketkeeper, Alex Carey, that the Bairstow run-out would be what he’s forever remembered for.

This is the same Stuart Broad who said after he edged to slip and didn’t walk:

“Those things aren’t remembered. It’s winning the series that will be remembered. We do have a win-at-all-costs mentality. I think we’re quite an unpleasant team to play against at the moment. Teams won’t play against us and enjoy the experience. That’s want we want.”

Anyone else smell the stench of hypocrisy?

The second staggering aspect of the whole episode is the reaction from the locals. From the bloated elitists in the MCC long-room chanting ‘cheat’ to the Australian players as they walked past, the crowd chanting ‘same old Aussies, same old cheats’, the less than squeaky clean coach who won’t have a beer with the Aussies, the journalist asking if we’ll see an underarm bowl from the Australians during the series, to the typically unhinged front pages of the nation’s newspapers.

PLEASE HELP US CONTINUE TO THRIVE BY BECOMING AN OFFICIAL FOOTYOLOGY PATRON. JUST CLICK THIS LINK.

They scream at us with bluster and condemnation, insisting we don’t understand sportsmanship, or respect the spirit of the game.

But the truth is, it’s the English who have let themselves down and acted like bad sports far more than the Australians. Fundamental to being a good sport and upholding the spirit of the game is the notion of accepting the umpire’s decision.

Only a day before the run-out incident, Mitchell Starc appeared to take a catch – he controlled it, then upon falling to the ground, slid the ball along the ground. The umpire deemed that because his hand was not under the ball, it was not a catch. The decision was, frankly, bulldust.

But while disappointed, and probably a little disillusioned, the Australians got on with it. After all, respecting the umpire’s decision is fundamental to upholding the game’s spirit.

Of course, the English were ok with that decision because it went their way. But a day later, when the shoe was on the other foot, the nation was engulfed in an almighty – and it must be said – unflattering meltdown.

They seem confused. Cheating is when you transgress the laws of the game. We’ve been there before. But whatever way you look at it, Australia did not do that on Sunday at Lords.

But that won’t stop the English – they’ll go on beating their chest, stomping their feet, bleating, chanting about Bazball and the legacy which they’re yet to create, and, of course, the importance of the spirit of the game.

Their famous supporter group, the Barmy Army, will sing about sandpaper and Australian’s being cheats. The rest of the fans will boo the Australian players.

And it will be all ok, because don’t forget, the English are the arbiters of what’s banter, sledging, what feels right, sportsmanship, and the spirit of the game. Just like they decide when the ball is dead and when the over has been called. The rest of us appear to live in their world.

Except, so far, the part about winning.

https://footyology.com.au/spirit-of-cri ... t-out-guv/
Thanks for being so concise and to the point marj :lol: ...now let me get back to my equally short story "war n Peace"

Its only a game and the whinging poms should except it and move on .. be getting us thoroughbred Brits a bad name.

dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 5, 2023, 1:39 pm

You miss the point Jon and I think minimise what happened. Cricket is only a game, but the abuse from the English, from the PM down is not just a game, the targeting of an ethic Pakistani by the arrogant MCC elite is not a game.

It is an utter disgrace and a stain on England.
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

TheSportsBar
udonmap.com

Post by TheSportsBar » July 5, 2023, 1:57 pm

ENGLAND CRICKET TEAM: IT’S NOT THE SPIRIT OF CRICKET IF IT HAPPENS TO US

The English cricket team and its fans are having one of the most enjoyable meltdowns in sporting history following Jonny Bairstow forgetting he was in the middle of a cricket test at Lords and going for a little walk.
“We are deeply upset that a lawful action that we have tried many times ourselves has worked against us this time, which feels unfair,” said Professor of Ethics at Oxford University Stuart Broad.
“Given it’s out in black and white, we are now going to bang on about the Spirit of the Game, even though we ignore that too when it suits us.”
Marylebone Cricket Club member Simon Cuffleton-Smiggly-Wright said he was outraged the colonists had used better cricketing ability to defeat England.
“We didn’t conquer most of the globe by allowing the other side to fight fair,” said Cuffleton-Smiggly-Wright.
“And how are you meant to know all these rules? Who came up with them? They seem a bit all over the shop if you ask me. Need a good sorting out.”
Fellow member Geoffrey Beaumont said he would have confronted the Australian players physically in the members if years of inbreeding hadn’t made his bones like glass.
“It’s cheating, pure and simple. When you do something in the game that is within the laws, and the umpires rule it out, that’s cheating.”
“Still, it feels like again we should have won, so technically, we are 2-0 up.”
Australian fans have noted the England cricket team and its fans have successfully thrown their toys out of the cot and something Jonny Bairstow would struggle with.

Jolly Good Chaps.....Move along

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 5, 2023, 5:54 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3PSvKuUaMw

Quite an interesting discussion from some old England and an Aussie player discussing the incident.

They make a good point that the Umpires could have done more to either avoid the incident by giving Bairstow a talking too earlier on about his walking out of the crease before the ball being dead, or they could have taken a decision IF they believed they had considered the over to have been over (i.e they were already on the move and not watching the play) :-k

Anyway 3rd Test tomorrow, should be a good one \:D/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 5, 2023, 9:44 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 5, 2023, 1:39 pm
You miss the point Jon and I think minimise what happened. Cricket is only a game, but the abuse from the English, from the PM down is not just a game, the targeting of an ethic Pakistani by the arrogant MCC elite is not a game.

So Warner's a Pakistani? Well paint me red and call me a fire truck.

PS: The PM is a disgrace and a stain on the duvet.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 5, 2023, 11:53 pm

tamada wrote:
July 5, 2023, 9:44 pm
Whistler wrote:
July 5, 2023, 1:39 pm

So Warner's a Pakistani? Well paint me red and call me a fire truck.

PS: The PM is a disgrace and a stain on the duvet.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/ne ... 5dlhq.html
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 6, 2023, 8:45 am

S#!t hits the fan today at Headingly.

https://app.icc.tv/live/241846/england- ... st-3-day-1

Good analysis of the Englander's impending doom here.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/202 ... australia/
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 6, 2023, 10:18 am

Concentrate on the jocks first. Big game kicks off in a few hours with qualification to join the big boys as a huge incentive.

I was thinking of nipping over to India to catch a few games but, the thought of being sat next to some smelly, sweaty geezer stinking of curry is putting me off. The Indians aren't much better.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 6, 2023, 10:28 am

samster wrote:
July 6, 2023, 10:18 am
Concentrate on the jocks first. Big game kicks off in a few hours with qualification to join the big boys as a huge incentive.

I was thinking of nipping over to India to catch a few games but, the thought of being sat next to some smelly, sweaty geezer stinking of curry is putting me off. The Indians aren't much better.
I was looking for a live stream but not sure if Disney+ Hotstar Thailand is same as Disney+ Hotstar India so I digressed to the less important Ashes.

It's the red hair that really bothers you. Go on, admit it.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » July 6, 2023, 9:15 pm

tamada wrote:
July 6, 2023, 10:28 am
samster wrote:

I was looking for a live stream but not sure if Disney+ Hotstar Thailand is same as Disney+ Hotstar India so I digressed to the less important Ashes.

What wouldn't bother me is facing a fatboy spin bowler who gets no turn rather than the only decent pace bowler. The Scots lost the plot leaving England and Wales to fly the flag in India.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 6, 2023, 9:19 pm

samster wrote:
July 6, 2023, 9:15 pm
tamada wrote:
July 6, 2023, 10:28 am
samster wrote:

What wouldn't bother me is facing a fatboy spin bowler who gets no turn rather than the only decent pace bowler. The Scots lost the plot leaving England and Wales to fly the flag in India.
Freedummmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!

An' noo they just got beat by the cloggies. I'm greetin' like a wee bairn in ma porridge.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 6, 2023, 9:55 pm

How many times can you drop the ashes on one day? Mitch Marsh - what a great knock that was.
Watch Me!!

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 7, 2023, 6:56 am

What a days cricket. Great toss to win and all set up now for England to get back into the series. Do they have the nouse and the nuts?
Watch Me!!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 7, 2023, 10:42 am

3 to zip looks a distinct possibility after Marsh's heroics

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 7, 2023, 11:04 am

Whistler wrote:
July 7, 2023, 10:42 am
Wasn't another factor the Englander's fielding lacking oomph? I was reading that with a less casual effort in the outfield, there were three missed catches that could have lopped more than 100 off the Aussie's score.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 7, 2023, 12:21 pm

tamada wrote:
July 7, 2023, 11:04 am
Whistler wrote:
July 7, 2023, 10:42 am
Wasn't another factor the Englander's fielding lacking oomph? I was reading that with a less casual effort in the outfield, there were three missed catches that could have lopped more than 100 off the Aussie's score.
Yep, dropped catches are a feature of every cricket game. What cricket history will record is Marsh's century, long after the dropped catches have been forgotten.

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » July 8, 2023, 9:21 am

2 days 24 wickets. Amazing game of cricket! Do we get another 12 wickets today? Anything could happen. I'm hoping we can get it done and bring home the ashes.
Watch Me!!

Return to “World Sports”