Divorce procedure.

General Udon Thani topics only!
udonfox
udonmap.com

Divorce procedure.

Post by udonfox » July 2, 2023, 11:43 am

Does any one know the procedure for a consensual divorce. 21 years of marriage is now over. Has any one gone through this procedure ? Thanks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Divorce procedure.

Post by tamada » July 2, 2023, 11:57 am

How is this divorce done?

Husband and wife return to the same local registry office (known as amphur, amphoe or khet) where they registered their marriage. Here, parties submit necessary documents and make a personal declaration of their intention to have a divorce. There is no need for them to have a ground for divorce. Their mutual decision to end the marriage is enough.

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_servic ... eREALw_wcB
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 2, 2023, 12:01 pm

Go to amphur, take 2 witnesses, take all ID, make declaration, 80 baht fee, takes about 30 minutes. Fae easier than marriage. Amphur will ask about children and joint property that can make it more complex. I divorced last August, easy peasy if you keep it simple.
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 4, 2023, 9:08 am

If on a marriage visa it will become null and void
so you will need to apply for a different one straight away

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » July 4, 2023, 9:19 am

Just to say, unless rules have changed, I'm fairly certain it's unnecessary to return to the same registration office (where married) to divorce. I married in Nongbualamphu, divorced in Phuket.

Isaanfarang
udonmap.com

Post by Isaanfarang » July 4, 2023, 10:13 am

I married in Bangkok 2006 and divorced in Udonthani 2019. Had to use a lawyer and go to the family court because a fast divorce done at the Amphur might not get accepted in Germany because it does not fit German standards of divorce.That would end up in a 2nd divorce procedere in Germany. With the divorce at the court I didn't had that problem.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 4, 2023, 10:15 am

Brian Davis wrote:
July 4, 2023, 9:19 am
Just to say, unless rules have changed, I'm fairly certain it's unnecessary to return to the same registration office (where married) to divorce. I married in Nongbualamphu, divorced in Phuket.
You've done it so the rules have changed. Makes sense as one can get a Kor Ror 2 (marriage registration extract) at any Amphur and not just the one you registered the marriage at.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 4, 2023, 10:40 am

noosard wrote:
July 4, 2023, 9:08 am
If on a marriage visa it will become null and void
so you will need to apply for a different one straight away
If it's a marriage visa (issued overseas by a Thai embassy or consulate), it doesn't become null and void and runs to its expiration. However the marriage extension (issued and renewed annually in Thailand by RTP Immigration), it becomes null and void on the divorce date.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

udonfox
udonmap.com

Post by udonfox » July 17, 2023, 1:48 pm

So where do I go in Udon, which office , to get a divorce form. I take it, according to Tam, my visa will change. Even though I've got more than 40, 000 baht a month coming in from Pensions from UK, my 90 day report will no longer be valid ? If that is correct, then what visa do I apply for ? Thanks.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 17, 2023, 4:12 pm

here ya go Google came to the rescue once again

https://www.thaiembassy.com/family/divorce-in-thailand

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 17, 2023, 5:47 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 17, 2023, 4:12 pm
here ya go Google came to the rescue once again

https://www.thaiembassy.com/family/divorce-in-thailand
Is that website better than Tripadvisor?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 17, 2023, 6:13 pm

Tam
Why dont you tell us

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2023, 1:36 pm

udonfox wrote:
July 17, 2023, 1:48 pm
So where do I go in Udon, which office , to get a divorce form. I take it, according to Tam, my visa will change. Even though I've got more than 40, 000 baht a month coming in from Pensions from UK, my 90 day report will no longer be valid ? If that is correct, then what visa do I apply for ? Thanks.
You go to the local (any) amphur with your spouse to file for divorce.

You should post your visa question separately in the Visa and Immigration forum but your current EXTENSION (not a visa) expires the day you divorce as does the 90-day report, etc..

What visa you are entitled too depends on your age as well as your income.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 18, 2023, 2:19 pm

OR
for Visa questions go to the source and bypass the comments on UdonMap that MAYBE incorrect and head off to the Immigration Office. Each Office are slightly different . I have friends in Pattaya and they tell me sometimes they have different solutions to their questions

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2023, 3:35 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 18, 2023, 2:19 pm
OR
for Visa questions go to the source and bypass the comments on UdonMap that MAYBE incorrect and head off to the Immigration Office. Each Office are slightly different . I have friends in Pattaya and they tell me sometimes they have different solutions to their questions
Good point but keep in mind that the immigration police are not formally in the visa business beyond issuing an interim 90-day visa while an applicant transitions from a non long-term visa to either a marriage or retirement extension. The OP's long-term stay entitlement (the extension) will end with the divorce, including anything remaining on a 90-day report.

Return options are either visa-exempt or Tourist visa and, if over 50, convert either to a retirement extension, making sure the seasoning requirements for funds in your Thai bank account are met. I understand that a single-entry TR visa can be obtained in Vientiane or Savannakhet with proof of income and/or funds required for the application.

Good luck
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 18, 2023, 3:59 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 18, 2023, 2:19 pm
OR
I agree, Doodoo. In fact, when I wanted information about the marriage visa and the 90-day visa, we went to immigration first and got the poop from them. Happily, I don't need to know divorce procedures yet, but if I do, I will go in person beforehand and ask. Immigration in Khon Kaen is just a hop, step and jump away from me at the Baw Kaw Saw 3. It's within walking distance, about an hour or less to get there.

Sometimewoodworker is a trustworthy source.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 18, 2023, 4:53 pm

TAMTAM
"immigration police are not formally in the visa business "
I never said go see the Immigration Police , I said the Immigration Office. And if they aren't in the business of issuing visas what business are they in, and where would one go to ask about getting a Visa?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2023, 5:36 pm

Doodoo wrote:
July 18, 2023, 4:53 pm
TAMTAM
"immigration police are not formally in the visa business "
I never said go see the Immigration Police , I said the Immigration Office. And if they aren't in the business of issuing visas what business are they in, and where would one go to ask about getting a Visa?
DOODOO

The Immigration Office is staffed by members of the Royal Thai Police Immigration Division. Unless you mean go talk to the blue-painted Immigration Office walls for advice of course.

I already explained the LIMITED visa options the Immigration Police who work at the Immigration Office provide.

You typically get a Thai visa from a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate where the staff work for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is not the same as the Royal Thai Police people at the Immigration Office. Nowadays, it's mostly done online by eVisa so no need to even go in person. I bet you didn't know that either.

Keep it up, you're killing me.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 18, 2023, 7:32 pm

Of course I know nothing of the OP situation or circumstances, but have you considered just staying married to avoid the hassle of a divorce?
Is there any real upside in getting a divorce unless you intend to remarry?
Just a thought.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”