Breaking stuff all the time

General Udon Thani topics only!
Whistler
udonmap.com

Breaking stuff all the time

Post by Whistler » July 16, 2023, 7:38 pm

Yesterday I connected the wires to a fan, admittedly a cheap 2 pin plug which was all that was available locally, today the cord was pulled again and wires ripped out of the plug after telling all the females in the house to pull with your grip on the plug, not rip out by the cord, then it struck me, I have never experienced so many broken things in my life.

Wine glasses have a very short life, fridge shelves and freezer doors easily broken, plates, etc etc. If I try to fix something, inevitably an extra pair of hands appear that have to be beaten off if the repair is ever to be completed, ditto assembling furniture.

Is it just me, or do others experience 'bull in a china shop' events on a regular basis. A Thai thing?

Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Breaking stuff all the time

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 16, 2023, 8:07 pm

My guess is that it could happen to anyone anywhere, Thais and non-Thais; however, in your example, it is probably you.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 16, 2023, 8:24 pm

"...all the females..."

I feel the OP's pain. The harem is way overrated.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 16, 2023, 9:09 pm

Whistler
Time in life when things start to change Every 20 years or so we go through phases and must adjust
It appears you have to entered the Plastics Stage to replace glasses, wine glasses, shelves revert to plastic boxes to store items
Plastic mugs are a wonder and can help with this

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 17, 2023, 12:41 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 16, 2023, 8:07 pm
My guess is that it could happen to anyone anywhere, Thais and non-Thais; however, in your example, it is probably you.
So others break things but it is my fault. That must go down as the dumbest statement I have seen on here for a long time.
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 17, 2023, 12:42 am

Doodoo, wine out of a plastic cup is simply not on

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » July 17, 2023, 2:49 am

Whistler wrote:
July 16, 2023, 7:38 pm
Is it just me, or do others experience 'bull in a china shop' events on a regular basis. A Thai thing?
I'm the clumsy one between my wife and I at home but our staff do break things more often than what I remember from the past. I've always blamed it on products becoming cheaper in quality and more built in obsolescence.

One example being a simple heat gun. We use them alot. I found one brand that can actually last its two year warranty period but I need to replace the mains lead on it within the first couple of weeks of use as they all have an open or short in the connection to the handle area fairly quickly. Its poorly designed there and cheap material. I may start replacing that component when I open the box new.

I use these type of plugs now from Lazada for the plug end upgrade the cable to 2.5mm2 and extend the length a little more than original for convenience while I'm at it.
Plug.jpg
Plug.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i1085 ... em_title.1
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » July 17, 2023, 3:38 am

Whistle

Once again some research would have helped you
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=outdoor+wine ... doa-p_2_22

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » July 17, 2023, 6:26 am

Whistler wrote:
July 17, 2023, 12:41 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
So others break things but it is my fault. That must go down as the dumbest statement I have seen on here for a long time.
Your answer confirms it. It's not a Thai thing, the experience is all on you.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 17, 2023, 6:52 am

I did break a plate last week
my fault
Lots of elecrical plugs and switches sold here are absolute crap
Wine glasses dont break by themselves most likely it came in contact with the floor after over use

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 17, 2023, 7:05 am

Tis true, many items sold ,more especially in cheaper stores and off the market are NOT suitable for the job at hand. Those that buy shoddy electrical items even plugs are inviting problems the worst of which is the demise of the user.

Common-sense purchase of good robust items fall foul of this will do and it is cheap attitude , which most of the time is counter productive. I have been taking the view that if an appliance comes with a factory moulded plug I keep the cable and plug and use a good adaptor to join ti to a longer caable. safer and less likelihood of problems.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » July 17, 2023, 11:38 am

Thais like to BORROW things and than forget to return them. I now keep all my good tools in my computer room. Over a couple of years all the extra wrenches and misc. tools kept in a big box outside have walked away. One brother in law has burned up and ruined all the drill bits kept outside beside my drill press. He wanted to borrow the ones I keep inside and I said NO! He is now angry at me and rarely comes around unless he wants to take one of my wife's chickens. She has too many chickens so I don't care.

I do agree with Whistler that the Thais destroy many things simply by being careless. When I question how something got broken, all I get are innocent looks and no one was guilty. It must have been a ghost or me. I have quit doing repair jobs because my wife, who knows everything, wants to tell me how to do the job. I tell her to get one of her super intelligent handymen (morons) or do it herself.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 17, 2023, 12:19 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
July 17, 2023, 6:26 am
Whistler wrote:
July 17, 2023, 12:41 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
Your answer confirms it. It's not a Thai thing, the experience is all on you.
Good to see some sensible comments on here by sensible people. Kinda makes your comments stand out by contrast.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2023, 4:02 pm

The OP suggests that people are always interfering with his DIY efforts which ultimately fail anyway.

There's no shame in admitting you're cack handed, none at all.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 18, 2023, 5:38 pm

tamada wrote:
July 18, 2023, 4:02 pm
The OP suggests that people are always interfering with his DIY efforts which ultimately fail anyway.

There's no shame in admitting you're cack handed, none at all.
Handy man extrodinairre, I wal into Mr DIY and they form an ho our guard, ditto Global and my local pay pay shop.

Women are consistently telling me that I am the best at screwing

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » July 18, 2023, 5:52 pm

UP

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » July 18, 2023, 6:35 pm

While trying to avoid an over generalisation i must confess to finding many of the Ban Nok thais to be the most ham fisted bunch I've ever come across.

There ability to break everything and anything seems to hold no bounds.

Just my honest observations 8-[

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 18, 2023, 7:02 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 18, 2023, 5:38 pm

Praise the Lord - Izzix has arisen. :D

viewtopic.php?p=177921#p177921

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » July 18, 2023, 7:22 pm

jackspratt wrote:
July 18, 2023, 7:02 pm
Whistler wrote:
July 18, 2023, 5:38 pm

Praise the Lord - Izzix has arisen. :D

viewtopic.php?p=177921#p177921
My woodwork teacher taught me that screw and glue is better than nailing, some people appreciate that I was listening that day long, long ago.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » July 18, 2023, 8:23 pm

Whistler wrote:
July 16, 2023, 7:38 pm
Yesterday I connected the wires to a fan, admittedly a cheap 2 pin plug which was all that was available locally, today the cord was pulled again and wires ripped out of the plug after telling all the females in the house to pull with your grip on the plug, not rip out by the cord, then it struck me, I have never experienced so many broken things in my life.

Wine glasses have a very short life, fridge shelves and freezer doors easily broken, plates, etc etc. If I try to fix something, inevitably an extra pair of hands appear that have to be beaten off if the repair is ever to be completed, ditto assembling furniture.

Well,Probably get some jibes.
But Since I moved into this old place I live.
So many "accidents"occure" Silly things.
Almost as though a invisable hand shoves things out of my grasp!
I think here is a entity resenting my presence.
i never had this problem before i move here!
I think the place is cursed!
My wife thinks I'm crazy! :-k

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”