Internet Wifi Lumpini Place

General Udon Thani topics only!
JohnKing
udonmap.com

Internet Wifi Lumpini Place

Post by JohnKing » August 25, 2024, 9:15 pm

Past couple of years have used True in my phone and used it as a mobile hotspot in Lumpini Place. Past two or three weeks it has been terrible. So slow. Lose connection of video call on phone and caould not use video on call using laptop.
Anyone had the same problems?
Would another network be better?
Use this for work communication but as only here for a few months each year a long term contract to the apartment would be much more than I need.
Thanks for any advice.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: Internet Wifi Lumpini Place

Post by Potamoi » August 26, 2024, 7:00 am

Sounds like your 'unlimited' True data package on you phone may have reached the max data usage for 5g/4g/3g and they throttled you down to 384kbps for the remainder of the month. If this is the case, you may need to upgrade the prepaid subscription I assume you use.

You could sniff around and see if your neighbors have a strong enough signal with their fiber Wi-Fi then perhaps knock on doors and ask if they would be willing to sell/share their internet with you. Leave a note on their door? Just a thought.

Then if these problems/solutions don't match, you could consider switching to AIS which likely has better coverage. If your phone hotspot is too clumsy, you can get a little pocket router too.
https://shopee.co.th/product/258963391/ ... FSEALw_wcB
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

JohnKing
udonmap.com

Post by JohnKing » August 26, 2024, 11:42 am

"Sounds like your 'unlimited' True data package on you phone may have reached the max data usage for 5g/4g/3g and they throttled you down to 384kbps for the remainder of the month."
I did not known there was such a restriction! I thought unlimited was unlimited!!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2024, 11:54 am

It is a bit misleading - it is unlimited, but after you reach a certain download limit, the speed can then be throttled for the rest of the month as Potamoi says.

JohnKing
udonmap.com

Post by JohnKing » August 26, 2024, 12:02 pm

Very Misleading. First week back here I download many movies and a tv series. Guess that used up what was allowed and now stuck with internet at a crawl. Will not buy this package again!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » August 26, 2024, 1:29 pm

Which package did you get? There are many sizes and prices and most tout 'unlimited'*. I'm quite sure you can upgrade to what you think you will use but be warned it can get costly when using mobile to watch TV.

I think there are some postpaid packages that have free Netflix and certain other media if I recall. Since I have fiber at home and office I hardly use my data so I don't pay that much attention but there are some promotions out there if you look enough.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 26, 2024, 1:42 pm

Try restarting your phone!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 26, 2024, 2:04 pm

JohnKing wrote:
August 25, 2024, 9:15 pm
Past couple of years have used True in my phone and used it as a mobile hotspot in Lumpini Place. Past two or three weeks it has been terrible. So slow. Lose connection of video call on phone and caould not use video on call using laptop.
Anyone had the same problems?
Would another network be better?
Use this for work communication but as only here for a few months each year a long term contract to the apartment would be much more than I need.
Thanks for any advice.
I’m in a similar situation but would suggest to you to buy an ‘annual’ package if for work (and play).
Not expensive, I only pay about 770 Baht a month from AIS and it gives fast reliable speeds
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

JohnKing
udonmap.com

Post by JohnKing » August 26, 2024, 4:05 pm

Visited True. Yes they reduce speed on so called unlimited package! I not have residency or Thai bank account. I did have a bank account prior to covid but that lost as I was not country for two years. Have had the same long term rental apartment at Lumpini for five years but only here three or four months a year in two or three stays. With the now 60 day stamp on arrival things much better but a bank account again would make life so much easier. Took a 300 baht 60gb 30 day package from True which they tell has high speed all the time. Will see how it works out!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2024, 10:29 am

The OP could get a 4G SIM router with wi-fi and a 1-year unlimited data SIM. The 4G routers can be had for around 1000 baht (with the 5G ones around 3000 baht). The data-only SIM are around 1500 baht. That works out around 125 baht/month for always-on, stream what you like, truly unlimited internet. Even if used only half the year, still a cheap option.

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.Khk5l

https://s.lazada.co.th/s.KhP5q
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » August 27, 2024, 10:42 am

tamada wrote:
August 27, 2024, 10:29 am
The data-only SIM are around 1500 baht.
Nice option Tam.

Can you elaborate on which SIM carrier you are using or recommending? I was under the impression they all have data caps for the faster speeds but that might just be for phone+data packages.
Benjamin Franklin

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 27, 2024, 3:33 pm

I have DTAC but the AIS network strength is equal if not superior over all. Moot point, same company with shared infrastructure. The nt Thunder (ToT) is reportedly the dogs balls in speed in the major conurbations but not sure if it's as resilient up here in Oodorn. The recommended way to evaluate networks is get 1 each of their shortest validity SIMS (usually 30-days and around 400 baht) and thoroughly test throughputs on all the types of your normal usage (streaming, gaming, etc.) at your planned "fixed" location. Then go with the one that delivers the best overall speed.

There's something in their configuration, and that of the router, that's different from the regular data-enabled SIM and its implementation in a smartphone. The ability to "hotspot" is either disabled or throughput hobbled if it's used in a smartphone. I had it explained to me by someone who was a data SIM 'anorak' but I didn't take notes.

They work for exactly 12 months (or 1, or 3, or 6) from activation and then expire. You can't reactivate it with a similar-size speed package but add-on data packages can be loaded, same as they would in a smartphone. However, they would have the same limits as the OP has experienced, even when used in the SIM router, so buy a new one.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”