U.S. Politics

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: U.S. Politics

Post by jackspratt » September 25, 2024, 11:15 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 25, 2024, 10:37 pm

I’m sure you have a point you are trying to make, I’m just not sure what it is.
Sort of weird, isn't it?

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 26, 2024, 5:47 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
Critical Thinking Skills Required. Apparently, you ain't got 'em.

Some on here -- who will remain nameless -- (you can research it if you're interested and catch up) stumbled all over themselves (without providing sources) posting about her great record as an attorney and how she's going to go after Trump blah blah blah.

Her record ain't so great.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 26, 2024, 6:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbow5ngT7IM

Megyn Kelly, no friend of Trump, corrects the record on the cases brought against Trump.

Lawfare.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 26, 2024, 6:38 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 26, 2024, 5:47 am
Some on here -- who will remain nameless -- (you can research it if you're interested and catch up) stumbled all over themselves (without providing sources) posting about her great record as an attorney and how she's going to go after Trump blah blah blah.
I'm really responding to your long post a couple of posts upthread, but I didn't want to reproduce it all here, so I'm using this one. Let's correct a few things you said.

By way of background, I'm not talking through my hat. I've been a litigator for nearly 40 years. Litigator means that I appear in the Trial Court regularly, arguing motions and conducting trials. Conducting trials is a specialized skill. Similarly, researching, writing appellate briefs, and arguing appeals in the Appeals Court is also a specialized skill, but different from trying cases.

Because of the specialized experience required to do either, very few lawyers do both. And certainly not in any volume. While I have appeared in the Trial Court hundreds of times, I have done exactly four appeals. In 40 years (won 2, lost 2). Similarly, appellate lawyers only very rarely do trials, as they have neither the skills not the experience.

In terms of how many times a lawyer's name appears on an appellate brief or in the docket of the appeal, it means nothing and is not related to how much the lawyer may have or have not worked on the appeal. When an appellate lawyer does an appeal, s/he typically puts the name of the lawyer who conducted the trial under appeal on the brief. That doesn't mean that the trial lawyer did any work on the appeal, just that s/he conducted the trial, and the appellate lawyer is recognizing his/her work in the case. Similarly, the appellate lawyer's name almost never appears on the trial court's docket for that case.

There are also many cases which are not reported in WestLaw because the appellate court rendering the opinion/decision considers the issues raised as minor and of no value as precedent, the appellate court is merely sorting out the case for the parties involved.

Bottom line? It's impossible to determine how much work an attorney has done by means of a WestLaw search, either how many cases s/he has tried, or how many appeals s/he has done.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 26, 2024, 9:40 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:

My thinking skills are just fine, I just don’t have a degree in blah blah blah, which is pretty much what your previous post was.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 26, 2024, 4:14 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:

Whereas Donald Trump's record, and no doubt his "critical thinking skills" are exemplary?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 26, 2024, 4:38 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 26, 2024, 9:40 am
My thinking skills are just fine, I just don’t have a degree in blah blah blah, which is pretty much what your previous post was.
It's quite a leap to claim not to understand "blah blah blah", but then claim to be able to identify it.

But cognitive dissonance is going around.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 26, 2024, 4:41 pm

Udon Map wrote:
September 26, 2024, 6:38 am
It's impossible to determine how much work an attorney has done by means of a WestLaw search, either how many cases s/he has tried, or how many appeals s/he has done.
Of course. We agree. No search is perfect, and the information provided acknowledged that the searches were incomplete and that not everyone does things the same way.
Practices can vary . . .

Westlaw . . . goes back only to 2014 . . .
However, what was learned in the small amount that was available did not show any great legal expertise on the part of Kamala.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 26, 2024, 5:44 pm

Declan, trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. You are looking more and more like you have no idea what you are talking about. Keep it up, many of us enjoy your flaying around with misinformation which you defend your right to disseminate so liberally ( or is it liberalysilly).
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 26, 2024, 5:54 pm

Being mediocre in your chosen profession certainly didn't constitute an impediment to Trump being elected in 2016.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 26, 2024, 6:42 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 26, 2024, 4:38 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
September 26, 2024, 9:40 am
It's quite a leap to claim not to understand "blah blah blah", but then claim to be able to identify it.

But cognitive dissonance is going around.
I’m reading some of it now.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 26, 2024, 10:06 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 26, 2024, 4:41 pm
However, what was learned in the small amount that was available did not show any great legal expertise on the part of Kamala.
No, you learned nothing about her knowledge or the quality of her work. You had some indication of the volume of her work based on the number of hits in Westlaw, that's all. Admittedly inaccurate indications of the volume of her work, and nothing at all about its quality.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 27, 2024, 4:15 am

Udon Map wrote:
September 26, 2024, 10:06 pm
the quality of her work
There are sufficient criticisms from news stories and interviews with the people she wronged to indicate the quality of her work in the legal system. And of course, her time in the senate and as VP makes "quality" a scarcity.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 27, 2024, 6:32 am

Hey Declan,

Would you like to compare Kamala's experiences in the criminal justice system to Donald's?
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » September 27, 2024, 6:36 am

Yes, good idea. let's compare notes on what people who worked with these candidates say about them. I'll start....

1. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis said Trump had the understanding of “a fifth- or sixth-grader,” and "Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us.”

2. White House chief of staff John Kelly described Trump as “unhinged”. Kelly has recounted how, in a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of a scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

3. National security adviser H.R. McMaster said the president had "the intelligence of a kindergartner."

4. Economic adviser Gary Cohn said Trump was “dumb as ----.”

5. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said of Trump, "His understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of U.S. history was really limited. It's really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn't even understand the concept for why we're talking about this." Further, he found it challenging "to go to work for a man who is pretty undisciplined, doesn’t like to read, doesn’t read briefing reports, doesn’t like to get into the details of a lot of things,

6. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin called Trump an “idiot."

7. Chief of Staff Reince Priebus called Trump an “idiot" as well.

8. U.S. ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley said Trump "went down a path he shouldn't have, and we shouldn't have followed him, and we shouldn't have listened to him. And we can't let that ever happen again."

9. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos said, "When I saw what was happening on Jan. 6 and didn't see the president step in and do what he could have done to turn it back or slow it down or really address the situation, it was just obvious to me that I couldn't continue," and as a result she resigned.

10. Omarosa Manigault Newman, the highest-ranking African-American staffer in the West Wing, said that Trump is a “racist, misogynist and bigot.”

11. White House chief strategist Steve Bannon said that Trump was “like an 11-year-old child.”

12. U.S. National Security Adviser John Bolton excoriated former President Donald Trump as an utterly self-interested man who is "unfit" for office and “fundamentally ignorant” about national security.

13. Vice President Mike Pence said he “cannot in good conscience” endorse Donald Trump after MAGA supporters were actively trying to hang the VP on J6.

14. Another U.S. Secretary of Defense, Mark Esper said Trump is a “threat to democracy”.

There are many more jaw dropping insights from other people who worked with him, but I'm too lazy to dig them up right now. And keep in mind a lot of these people will need to go into hiding if this psycho buffoon gets reelected.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » September 27, 2024, 6:59 am

A bit unkind Anyfarious, he had an excellent knowledge about the war of Independence and praised the strategy of the patriot for seizing the airfields first. Hahahahahaha

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 27, 2024, 7:03 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 27, 2024, 4:15 am
Udon Map wrote:
September 26, 2024, 10:06 pm
the quality of her work
There are sufficient criticisms from news stories and interviews with the people she wronged to indicate the quality of her work in the legal system. And of course, her time in the senate and as VP makes "quality" a scarcity.
I don't regard "criticisms from news stories" and "interviews with the people she [allegedly] wronged" to be particularly reliable sources.

So that long quote about a Westlaw search doesn't really mean anything after all, given the speed at which you have backed away from it, yes?

anefarious1 wrote:
September 27, 2024, 6:36 am
5. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said of Trump, "His understanding of global events, his understanding of global history, his understanding of U.S. history was really limited. It's really hard to have a conversation with someone who doesn't even understand the concept for why we're talking about this."
You left out the best one!

Tillerson, a very smart and experienced person who once led Exxon globally, called Trump a "f------ moron" after a meeting at the Pentagon with members of Trump’s national security team and Cabinet officials.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 27, 2024, 7:06 am

anefarious1 wrote:
Yes, good idea. let's compare notes on what people who worked with these candidates say about them. I'll start....
All of the backstabbers who undermined the Trump Administration is not anything on which to hang your hat. Leftists love 'em when they're betraying their CiC and their country; but hate them when they are doing the job they swore an oath to do.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 27, 2024, 7:06 am

Udon Map wrote:
September 27, 2024, 7:03 am
I don't regard "criticisms from news stories" and "interviews with the people she [allegedly] wronged" to be particularly reliable sources.
Do what's best for you. :-"

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 27, 2024, 7:10 am

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 27, 2024, 7:06 am
anefarious1 wrote:
All of the backstabbers who undermined the Trump Administration is not anything on which to hang your hat. Leftists love 'em when they're betraying their CiC and their country; but hate them when they are doing the job they swore an oath to do.
Sort of like Trump having not a single positive thing to say about the Obama and Biden administrations. Amazing that during 12 consecutive years, the executive branch did nothing which benefitted the country at all.

One big difference is that in the Obama and Biden administrations, as in nearly all other administrations, both Democratic and Republican, major policy decisions were reached based on debates of different ideas rather than on the President's uninformed whims.

Return to “U.S. Politics”