Falangs Invade Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
maaka
udonmap.com

Re: Falangs Invade Udon Thani

Post by maaka » April 9, 2010, 4:34 am

thanks Tilo for your input, yes I was aware of all that, and that the captial of thailand was originally in Laos, before moving back to Udon in 1920/30s, and for there to Bangkok. I just didnt want to give a full history lession when the thread was about modern day farang invading udon..but good to inform everyone of alittle history..

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 9, 2010, 7:03 am

"Thailand has never been colonized..."

I laugh every time I hear that garbage. :roll: LOOK AROUND. It's being colonized RIGHT NOW!

:confused:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 9, 2010, 7:19 am

Yes, Thailand has never been directly colonised...except for the North (Chiang Mai) when it was under Burma's control, but even then the Burmese ran Lanna Thai through puppet rulers.
maaka wrote:thanks Tilo for your input, yes I was aware of all that, and that the captial of thailand was originally in Laos, before moving back to Udon in 1920/30s, and for there to Bangkok. I just didnt want to give a full history lession when the thread was about modern day farang invading udon..but good to inform everyone of alittle history..
When was the capital of Thailand ever in Laos? This is the first time I have heard that.

The capital of Thailand has never been in Udonthani, and certainly not in the 1920s-30s, when it was in Bangkok. Udonthani is the capital of the province of the same name, but it has not ever been the national capital.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 10, 2010, 4:49 am

yes Tilo, that comment threw me a bit also. I think maybe he was thinking about the provincial capital, which was in Nongkhai but was moved to Udon in late 19th century after the french took over Laos, as Nongkhai was considered to vulnerable. Cannot remember where i read that, but did so last year.

Or maybe thinking about when the Laos kingdom was dominant.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 10, 2010, 10:13 am

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 11, 2010, 9:06 am

Maybe, although the article did not spark any memory. May be it was at the museum which i visited in 2008. But at least i got it right!

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » April 13, 2010, 12:48 am

After being stationed at udon in 71 ,usaf.I've come back twice.Most of the farangs that I've talked to are visitors.I imagine
there are plenty of farangs living here.I think the majority of them most of the time hang around the house,just go out occasionally.
The biggest problem that I see having many farangs in one area is prices go up.Check out chiang mai.

Udon farang
udonmap.com

Post by Udon farang » April 13, 2010, 11:15 pm

The explosion of farangs has caused me to move out. It wouldn't be so bad if they were well behaved, but they aren't. I never saw such a collection of misfits and derelicts in one place as I do in Udon. Too bad, 7 years ago it was a wonderful place to stay. Thai's would smile and and be happy to see a foreigner. Not anymore. The abundance of miscreants have changed all that.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » April 13, 2010, 11:23 pm

i have to agree with mr udon farang. why dont we show the same respect to the oppisite sex has we do in our own countries. the one;s with thai wives are the worst. i dont mean everyone. if the cap fits wear as they say.

Philip101
udonmap.com

Post by Philip101 » April 14, 2010, 1:50 am

I think udons like (was like) one of those deserted beaches that nobody knew about...

one person finds it, tells another person who tells another person who tells another person and so on

Like udon, hardly any ferangs pre 2000, then some more came and every year more ferangs arrive

its anoting but its one of those bummers in life

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » April 14, 2010, 12:09 pm

Yep, the falang tsunami is just beginning for reasons I posted at the beginning of the thread. In 10 years, there may be as many as currently in places like Pattaya but (IMHO) with an emphasis on families. Lots of opportunities for the those who are adroit enough to anticipate them in advance.

Anyone care to speculate where the herd will head next after Udon is saturated and overpriced? My guess is Loei for various reasons.

Anyone care to speculate what year a decent school with a real English program will open?

Philip101
udonmap.com

Post by Philip101 » April 14, 2010, 11:48 pm

its got loads of ferangs now but i would say firstly NONG KHAI, after that, KURAT (sorry i dont know if its spelt properly)
then finnaly chun buri.

THEN vietnam THEN LAOS and maybe then cambodia

well, thats my guess anyway

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”