TOYS WANTED !

General Udon Thani topics only!
Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

TOYS WANTED !

Post by Librarian » October 14, 2010, 12:43 pm

i know this is the wrong forum to post this , but i imagine this forum gets more exposure than classifieds

so i,ll post here first and hope the mods dont move it for a day or 2 ! ;)

can you help ?

we get a lot of families with young children visiting our restaurant . we would like to provide toys for the children to play with while mummy and daddy are scoffing away :D

toys are really expensive here in Udon (having checked Toys r Us etc ) so before we invest in some playthings , i thought to ask here if anyone has surplus toys their growing up children dont need anymore .

i can come pick them up or you can drop off at The Bookhouse , either way , we,d be / the children would be grateful of anything donated

thanks - Jeremy , Nok (aka Librarian and Mrs L :D . )

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: TOYS WANTED !

Post by stattointhailand » October 14, 2010, 6:14 pm

Probably find that most people on 'ere send their unwanted "Toys" back to the bar when they have finished playing with them :-"

firsttimebangkok
udonmap.com

Post by firsttimebangkok » October 14, 2010, 6:53 pm

Toys aren't that expensive mate!!!! You own a business don't be such a 'cheap charlie'.

thedude
udonmap.com

Post by thedude » October 14, 2010, 7:02 pm

I got a bunch I'll drop off for you Jeremy - I'm sure others do - and will - too; these things seem to breed like little bunny rabbits...

Another good idea the little ones will appreciate for sure! Like mine!!! Cya soon, DUDE

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 14, 2010, 7:33 pm

I know I am an old fuddy daddy so possibly my views are not relevant but for me the biggest turn off to going to any restaurant is the presence of kids , dogs and smokers , in no particular order. Recently , not in Udon , I was greeted by a waitress holding a young screaming child who wanted to take my order. She simply didn't understand when I told her to take the child away and come back to attend to my order in a more professional manner , so we exited the premises. :roll:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 14, 2010, 7:37 pm

If the business owner was asking for a gift which he was then going to ask for customers to pay for then your posts might make something like sense firsttimebangkok.
As it is they do little to enhance your rapidly fading reputation in my book.
One sarcastic comment on this thread could just be put down to bad manners, two suggests a maybe you have ulterior motives for your comments...

Your choice of course TB...back on the thread in question if the little ones had something to play with then maybe they would not be screaming & maybe waitresses would not have to carry them around.

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » October 14, 2010, 11:01 pm

we bought our son a wonderful , sit in , remote controlled car for his first birthday present . he loves it , and so do the children of our customers - unfortunately it takes a key to start it ( engine noises etc ) and some enterprising 7 year old ;) realized he could hot wire it by using a paint brush handle to jam in the slot where the key fits .. breaking the lock and smashing the sound player :D .. kids are kids so no worries but at 5000 baht from Toys r Us for a new one , we were lucky it could be repaired ;)

we,ve just given away surplus prams , clothes and other baby stuff we no longer need to someone who can make use of it - hence my thinking , there are probably parents who have kids toys that are just gathering dust , that may wish to donate them for the pleasure of other kids that will take some enjoyment from them .

i imagine everyone was a child once ;) , and i would imagine the parents of the children , who took them to eat out at a restaurant , would have been grateful that there kids could lose themselves playing with toys while they peacefully ate a meal .

Nok and I have been blessed with a beautiful son who is now over a year old and therefore i have made my views on customers who do not like children , very clear in other threads . This business is promoted as a family friendly one , where children are most welcomed .

my question was a simple one , any spare toys for the benefit of customers children who may gain enjoyment from them , will be gratefully received here at the Bookhouse ,

please save your sex comments , or posts regarding dislike of children , to someplace else , or to an audience that is interested in your views on the subject , and not on a thread titled Toys Wanted , obviously aimed at Childrens Toys -

Family Librarian

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 14, 2010, 11:25 pm

Sorry Jeremy, just a tongue in cheek way to get it back to the top of the list.
We're hopeing for little un no2 soon so are keeping everything in store for a while, but when he/she is done you will be most welcome to anything that they haven't managed to break. Good luck and great idea.

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » October 15, 2010, 12:07 am

no offense taken by your post Stat :D

its the reference to Battery Sex Toys , in my thread about Childrens Toys , that i find inappropriate , tasteless and mildly offensive

i want to put toy cast offs to good use , and various comments declare me a cheap charlie , call me jermany , mistakenly insinuating friendship , and changes to my thread title in a posted reply , to imply i am seeking free food supplies for my business due to hardship -WOW !!!

i,m trying to arrange something that will benefit others and get replies like that :shock:

take me to your dealer Guys ;) .. you must have one

Jeremy -

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » October 15, 2010, 12:42 am

Jeremy,

Is this a business or Orphanage you are running?

I for one am very surprised that someone who is running a business in Udon sucessfully (Good Job!) is asking his patrons to donate toys to make his buinsess more successful......

Im also very surprised becasue Jeremy seems so level headed on his regular thread.

Ill be leaving my annual donaton at the orphanage to help Kids that really need it.

Shame on you Jeremy! If you want toys then please go out an d buy them for your customers Children!

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 15, 2010, 1:29 am

Well, you could view it as an attempt to get something for his business for free, but he is not CHARGING for anyone to use these toys (well, not yet i presume!). It is more like providing a social service. If he said all meals were going up 10 baht to pay for toys there would be many complaints i am sure, particularly from the no-kids crowd. Seems like a reasonable request to me. Your choice if you want to donate. Not sure i know any other restaurant offering to provide this service in Udon. And if it keeps the little monsters quiet, i am all for it!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 15, 2010, 7:20 am

Librarian wrote:
i imagine everyone was a child once ;) , and i would imagine the parents of the children , who took them to eat out at a restaurant , would have been grateful that there kids could lose themselves playing with toys while they peacefully ate a meal .

please save your sex comments , or posts regarding dislike of children , to someplace else , or to an audience that is interested in your views on the subject , and not on a thread titled Toys Wanted , obviously aimed at Childrens Toys -

Family Librarian
It would appear that a couple of the above comments were aimed at me so . Yes I was a child once, still am at heart sometimes. I was also a dog owner and once for a very brief period, a smoker. None of which precludes me from stating I don't like them around when I am eating .You yourself admitted above,"while they peacefully eat' That is my desire . Unfortunately my experience, not in your establishment, is that , whilst the child's parents are peacefully eating, other diners are subjected to the noise and activity instead .As it seems you are proposing providing mobile toys, it seems a reasonable assumption that they, the kids, will be , well, mobile.Going everywhere .You even mention some of the toys having sirens .Now speaking personally, that is not my cup of tea. A restaurant should be just that , not a playschool . I know it is a very old fashioned idea for the child to sit at the table whilst eating and not run around, but surely if it is too young to do so , whatever happened to baby sitters? Then not only the parents can have a peaceful meal out , so could everyone else .
Don't think this means I don't like kids. I love them, but in an appropriate setting. To me , that's not a restaurant .

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 15, 2010, 8:10 am

well , i must agree with trubrit, it is all ok to have a playground for children , they can play separate without disturbing any of the other customers enjoying their lunch or diner, to keep it short ...you do not have the space for this jeremy, some people wouldn't mind eating with screaming children running around like chicken, others will not come back......, about the free toy's , in a way firsttimebangkok is making a good statement, in my opinion ( sorry) , some of the farang restaurants whom do have a little bit descent pricing about the food, take this advantage back on the prices of the drinks
85 b for a chang ( i can drink 2 bottles locally 42b /big bottle) 100b for a singha...etc, ( central proves normal price is possible 55b/chang) if you are making 100% profit on drinks only , i am sure you can buy some cheap toy's for your customers children, but of course more easy and cheaper getting them free...., so it is up to the customer now they like a children playground restaurant or they will stay away.....

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » October 15, 2010, 8:22 am

I like the idea of Toys for children to play whit in an restaurant even if i never eat at the bookshop. I stay up in the mountains but......maybe soon i can come eat in your restaurant. Then i can take my 3 year old daughter whit me and if she is not Khin jaw.....we can give some old toys as well!

SOMEBODY THINKS THE SOUNDS WILL BE WORCE IF THE CHILDREN HAVE SOMETHING TO POINT THERE INTRESTED IN....THAT IS NOT TRUE AND WE MUST LOOK FOR EXPERIENCE IN THIS MATTER.......AND I SAY....I DO HAVE....EVERYBODY IN SWEDEN KNOWS ABOUT =D> IKEA, IKEA, IKEA =D> ......PUT THE TOYS IN A CHILDRENS CORNER AND I THINK EVEN TRUEBRIT WILL BE SATISFIED.....REALLY....AND ITS EASY FOR THE CHILDREN TO LEARN THAT THE TOYS STAYS IN THE CHILDRENS CORNER IF THEY LIKE TO PLAY WHIT THEM!..........SALUT! \:D/

kjellsnell
udonmap.com

Post by kjellsnell » October 15, 2010, 8:34 am

The Lodge in Hua Hin are also making a children play area.....maybe can have some ideas to share....

http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... 10&t=16164

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » October 15, 2010, 9:17 am

I also happen to agree with the viewpoint, most recently expressed by trubrit and kopkei, that I don't want to go to a restaurant and have have bunch of kids running and screaming around. It would tend to ruin my meal. But I also recognize that this is a business and Jeremy is entitled to run it anyway he sees fit.

I have eaten here many times and, as of yet, have never had any issue with "kid control". I've always found my meals delicious and the atmosphere pleasant. At times, kids were present but always well mannered. But, if that would change, I would probably tend to go to another place to eat. Hopefully, Jeremy will be able to strike an acceptable balance.

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » October 15, 2010, 10:55 am

i was only asking for some unused toys , and wasnt ready yet to disclose future plans for the Bookhouse , but as the topic is receiving much interest , here we go ;)

We are very interested in our actual customers , ( meaning customers who actually patronize now or will do in the future ) comments , viewpoints and feedback regarding our business - and are always looking at ways to improve on what we do and how we do it .

Obviously , people who continue to post negatively , with a view to try and cause more harm than good , on this and other threads , regarding me , my family and business , but dont actually patronize our business , are posting comments and viewpoints i have absolutely no interest in... is that a fair perspective ?? ;)

The land plot the Bookhouse sits on , is HUGE .. there is an even bigger unused space at the rear of the building, ( with a covered roof and lawn area etc that we still havent developed .. its a much bigger area than our courtyard at the front , so we have a lot of room . My thinking is to provide a safely secured area where families with children can sit , and their children can play , in a separate enviroment to those looking for a more tranquil setting

if i listen to the negative posters / non patrons viewpoints , and decide to delete my thread , and not ask for any old toys , for the benefit of CHILDREN who may come here , who loses out ? is it me or my family ? NO . we lose nothing at all .. Its the children of customers . My question there is - why would anyone want to try and stop customers Children having some toys to play with .....

If the question isnt about stopping customers children from having toys to play with , but rather , more about me asking for them for free .. would it have been better for me to say i am looking to BUY any unwanted childrens toys .. i,ll concede that as a maybe .. BUT , as my thread has already shown , there are people who think its a good idea to put unwanted / unused toys to benefit others who will get enjoyment out of them .

i,m not one of these proud ( or rich ) people that thinks he is above visiting second hand shops or accepting used goods - ( i own a used bookshop ;) ! ) recycle recycle recycle .

unrelated , but relevant , an example of the direct impact topics on this forum can have , are *The Coffee Incident * ;) as a direct result of a poster stating we served the worst cop of coffee he had ever tasted , our coffee sales actually increased by nearly 300 cups per month :D from customers wanting to try for them selves .

that shows , even when i,m not boring readers with my polite , fair replys /topics ;) even negatively intended posts by non patrons , can and do have a positive effect on my business .. ( thanks guys for being horrible :D )

Sunday was our best ever day of trading so far and guess what ? ... Wednesday Mexican was even better ! :shock:

if the ratio of a handful of negative posters on here , vs the 121 meal eating customers we served on Wednesday :shock: remains the same .. thats favourable IMO -

anyway , i meant to say ,

does anyone have any spare childrens toys they dont need that would consider donating them to benefit others ?

Librarian

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 15, 2010, 11:21 am

Librarian . Fair enough reply but you did post what topically should have been a classified ad under the Udon General Discussion Topics to get a greater response which it did. Now it seems you don't like some of them. You even asked the mods not to move it .Now personally I was very careful to keep my comments general, even going so far as saying" not your establishment ' I was discussing the issue raised by wanting toys with my views on young children in restaurants .
Now I know as a new proud father you might find it difficult to believe that there are some out there that do not share your views, but believe me , there are .
As for not wishing to hear the views of non patrons. Do you not think if you took their views into account, they may become patrons? Incidentally I am a, okay, not regular customer, but I do pop in from time to time, mainly for one of your excellent breakfasts. Of course there aren't many kids about then. :lol: Good luck with your expansion plans anyway .

Librarian
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Librarian » October 15, 2010, 11:51 am

Trubrit ,

thankyou for reiterating what i stated in my original post :D .

i stated it would get more exposure in the general forum , which it has . i also understood there would be negative comments prior to posting it because that is the very nature of forums .

to say - now it seems i dont like negative comments , well hell yeah .. they make me all warm and fuzzy inside ;)
surely its a natural human emotion to feel *something* when someone says something bad about your character ? isnt it ?

i find your comment ,- Now I know as a new proud father you might find it difficult to believe that there are some out there that do not share your views, but believe me , there are . -- somewhat patronizing ..if you google by definition the term patronizing - your statement fits the bill perfectly .. it is a comforting thought to know that you are giving me and my business and my family so much of your *brain time* and are kindly looking at ways to help us improve on what we are doing :D thanks mate

your statement infers i am blinkered in my opinion and rigid in my viewpoint.

i accept there are , and always will be , glass half empty and glass half full people , democrats and republicans etc etc

so anyway Trubrit , have you got any spare toys or not ?

thankyou as always - Librarian

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » October 15, 2010, 11:54 am

Librarian wrote:The land plot the Bookhouse sits on , is HUGE .. there is an even bigger unused space at the rear of the building, ( with a covered roof and lawn area etc that we still havent developed .. its a much bigger area than our courtyard at the front , so we have a lot of room . My thinking is to provide a safely secured area where families with children can sit , and their children can play , in a separate enviroment to those looking for a more tranquil setting
A perfect solution.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”