The good old days of 2006

General Udon Thani topics only!
BobZubali
udonmap.com

The good old days of 2006

Post by BobZubali » December 21, 2023, 2:46 am

Apart from Justin's (Aussie Bar), and Steve's (Bar Udon), what other falang bars were there?

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Re: The good old days of 2006

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 21, 2023, 7:42 am

Harry's Bar on the Ring Road, Opened in Dec 1998. Robins Nest, Only lasted a few months. Mcky's Bar. There were a few others.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » December 21, 2023, 10:03 am

Nobi's restaurant - smoked sausages - with wife Ning.

holdflod

Post by holdflod » December 21, 2023, 10:42 am

Up2U, Fifty/Fifty bar, Mojo's,

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » December 21, 2023, 6:19 pm

Harry's was quite far from where I lived, so I only went there a few times.

Mojo's wasn't bad when Alan ran it.

Jingjoes was usually good.

I especially liked Nobi's, and Dieter's Rauch Kate was also v. good.

TJ's was a twice weekly visit for the beef stew with a hot buttered roll, or a cheeseburger with home fries.

The Bookhouse & Coffee Shop (Jeremy) is the last v. good falang place that I can think of.

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » December 21, 2023, 6:21 pm

holdflod wrote:
December 21, 2023, 10:42 am
Up2U, Fifty/Fifty bar, Mojo's,
Never heard of the first two.

Where were they?

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » December 21, 2023, 7:45 pm

I lived in Khon Kaen in 2006 and only came up to Udon for a weekend and was in Mojo's. I moved full time in 2007 and let loose back into the wild. There was a Bar Berry opposite as was The Charoensri Complex. Downunder bar, Aussie bar (Th. Adunyadet) , Pla and Jerome bar, Dragon bar, Richmond Steak House, Fuzzy Ken's (both Th. Prajak). Full Moon was a bit further out mostly it seemed Thai clientele as was Tawan Daeng. Bar Code came along late '07 IIRC.

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » December 21, 2023, 10:38 pm

Irish Alan wrote:
December 21, 2023, 7:45 pm
I lived in Khon Kaen in 2006 and only came up to Udon for a weekend and was in Mojo's. I moved full time in 2007 and let loose back into the wild. There was a Bar Berry opposite as was The Charoensri Complex. Downunder bar, Aussie bar (Th. Adunyadet) , Pla and Jerome bar, Dragon bar, Richmond Steak House, Fuzzy Ken's (both Th. Prajak). Full Moon was a bit further out mostly it seemed Thai clientele as was Tawan Daeng. Bar Code came along late '07 IIRC.
I was forbidden to go to Bar Berry by TTW, lol.

Justin's second Oz bar (next to Dieter's Rauch Kate) was his last outing in Udon as I recall.

Richmond Steak House was a great place for friendly chats with strangers.

Full Moon on Tahan Rd was a brothel, oops, also a no-no with TTW, lol.

And I liked the Italian restaurant near to the entrance of the old complex because I could drink beer in there without ordering any food(!)

Fuzzy's was a quick u-turn for me because Ajarn Alien was in it whenever I passed by. (NOT lol)

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 22, 2023, 4:13 pm

although not a "farang bar" per se, the Night Market with Piccolo Roma, the big screen for sports and beer towers was a favorite gathering point...
Dave

BobZubali
udonmap.com

Post by BobZubali » December 22, 2023, 6:25 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:
December 22, 2023, 4:13 pm
although not a "farang bar" per se, the Night Market with Piccolo Roma, the big screen for sports and beer towers was a favorite gathering point...
I used to like Picola Roma when it was on the market, and I had some great times in there.

Thinking back, Georgie's (Jorgi's) German restaurant was quite good apart from the fact that the steaks were so rare they were hardly ever available.

I wasn't a big fan of Molly Malone's because of a certain regular (the one who rode a mountain bike, and usually had a plaster / bandage / stitches / missing teeth).

There was a short lived place on the same block as Dieter's on Soi Adunyadet. It was okay. The guy ended up selling most of his kitchenware to Jeremy.

And the beer shop on Soi Prachasanti was always well worth a visit. People like Middlesbrough Steve, Peter Jackson, and Norwegian Lidvid were regulars.

There was also another short lived place on the road between Nong Prajak and Wattana Hospital. Falang food. Very good.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”