Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Looking for a something in particular but don't know where to buy it? Try asking here...
milkman
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by milkman » June 16, 2013, 5:20 pm

My wife and I visited a friend in Italy last month. He went on and on about how this stuff called Stevia is 300 times sweeter than sugar, but doesn't make you fat. And how Stevia tastes better than sugar, but has no calories. He had bags and bags of it around. It did taste pretty good, so now that I'm back and back on a diet, I'm thinking I should find some Stevia. Anybody have a clue where I can find it?

parrot
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by parrot » June 16, 2013, 5:51 pm

It's available in country....but you may have to hunt for it. Try Villa for starters or try contacting the folks at
http://www.yawangreensweet.com/

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by hermajesty » June 16, 2013, 6:03 pm

I used to find it at Villa in Bangkok. I have not looked here. It came in a small, green box of individual packets, like the poisonous sugar subs do (nutrasweet, splenda, sweetnlow). In Bangkok I got the real leaf, dried, at a Chinese pharmacy in Chinatown so I would try some Chinese pharms, here, if you are interested in the leaf. You can boil it and make a liquid sweetener but it would take some scientific experiments to get ratios down. I started it but never continued, so good luck there!

I can't remember the Thai name for the leaf but it might be something as simple as "bai waan" or "leaf sweet". The C. pharms definitely all knew it.

Fyi, I like stevia and bring it in from the US because I am picky and don't like the normal bitterness most stevia products have. Kal stevia, by brand, is my stevia of choice. If ordering it is an option, consider Kal. Many stevias have additives, like maltodextrin, which to me, rather moots the point. Big companies are mainstreaming stevia right now in the US. I think the rise of diabetes, the obesity rate etc... play a big part. Wish they would genetically UNmodify the food supply but what do I know!

Good luck and let us know how it goes here in Udon!

HM

Villa, then Tops would be where I would look first unless you want to go organic and get the leaves.

parrot
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by parrot » June 16, 2013, 7:16 pm

hm, it's known as yah wahn (หญ้าหวาน). The Chinese pharmacy across and in between the Bangkok Bank and Kasikorn Bank on Phosri Rd might have the raw stuff. Villa might have the real mccoy.

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by hermajesty » June 17, 2013, 9:55 am

ahhh yes that might be it. I looked for it in the beginning of my stay in Thailand and my Thai was rough. My memory is even rougher. I like that pharmacy. Been there a few times for samun phrai สมุนไพร (spices). They have an amazing beast of a pit bull in a pewter gray color I have never seen. On a chain, thank God!

milkman
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by milkman » June 18, 2013, 9:31 pm

Found it! It's at Tops with the other sugar substitutes. Now if it will just help me be half as skinny as my wife!

akwoodworker
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by akwoodworker » June 19, 2013, 11:09 am

Great stuff, I have been using if for over a year. Brew a pot of green tea and one tbs is all I need.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Sugar Substitute Stevia!

Post by JimboPSM » June 19, 2013, 12:57 pm

On the WebMD site “Stevia” is listed under Vitamins and Supplements.
Federal law does not require dietary supplements to be proven safe to FDA's satisfaction before they are marketed. After a dietary supplement is on the market, FDA has certain safety monitoring responsibilities.

Consumers should consult with a health care professional before using any dietary supplement. WebMD and FDA are partnering to give you fast and dependable answers when you need them most.
While WebMD has many positive reviews for “Stevia”, it also contains warnings of some possible side effects:
Stevia and chemicals contained in stevia, including stevioside and rebaudioside A, are LIKELY SAFE when used as a sweetener in foods. Rebaudioside A has generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status in the U.S. for use as a sweetener for foods. Stevioside has been safely used in research in doses of up to 1500 mg per day for 2 years.

Some people who take stevia or stevioside can experience bloating or nausea. Other people have reported feelings of dizziness, muscle pain, and numbness.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
  • Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Not enough is known about the use of stevia during pregnancy and breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Allergy to ragweed and related plants: Stevia might cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the Asteraceae/Compositae family of plants. This family includes ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and many other plants.

Diabetes: Some developing research suggests that some of the chemicals contained in stevia might lower blood sugar levels and could interfere with blood sugar control. However, other research disagrees. If you have diabetes and take stevia or any of the sweeteners it contains, monitor your blood sugar closely and report your findings to your healthcare provider.

Low blood pressure: There is some evidence, though not conclusive, that some of the chemicals in stevia can lower blood pressure. There is a concern that these chemicals might cause blood pressure to drop too low in people who have low blood pressure. Get your healthcare provider’s advice before taking stevia or the sweeteners it contains, if you have low blood pressure.
WebMD page for Stevia: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... A&source=3
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Return to “Where to Buy Things in Udon”