The Sensible Discussion Thread – Thai Turmoil –

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Re: The Sensible Discussion Thread – Thai Turmoil –

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 1:53 pm

Red-shirted people disperse from Supreme Administrative Court

Pro-government red-shirted people ended the besieging of the Supreme Administrative Court Tuesday afternoon after cutting off power supply to the court complex.

Leaders of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship asked the protesters to disperse and regroup at the Civic Plaza of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration in the evening.

They dispersed after the Supreme Administrative Court issued an order for them to stop the blockade of the court head office within 15 minutes or face legal actions for contempt of court.

The Nation
I wonder if the irony is lost on the Thai general public... reds leave semi-peacefully when ordered. I guess they know that legal action would pursue them unlike other parties

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 2, 2008, 2:21 pm

Chaovarat becomes caretaker PM

No-1 Deputy Prime Minister Chaovarat Chanweerakul will become caretaker prime minister pending a meeting of the caretaker Cabinet, former PM's Office Ministers Sukhumpong Ngonkham said Tuesday.

He said the caretaker Cabinet would make a former decision as to who should be caretaker prime minister replacing disqualified prime minister Somchai Wongsawat.

The Nation
IMO This measure changes nothing. PAD will not withdraw on this outcome.

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 2:21 pm

I found in a few of the AP pictures the soldiers were covering the magazine wells of their M16s as if to hide the fact they were locked and loaded... where were these guys when the airport was getting stormed? It really speaks of the Thai elite cliques priorities [-(

I agree Ban but they will face increasing pressure now [-o<
PAD: entire Cabinet must leave office

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Somsak Kosaisuk on Tuesday vowed to continue rallying at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports and demanded the departure of the entire Cabinet.

Following the verdict on party disbandment, Somsak said the PAD would not allow the Cabinet to work in the caretaker capacity until the formation of the next government.

He said every minister must depart along with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Of 36 Cabinet members, 22 are not affected by the party disbandment and can carry on in the caretaker administration.

The Nation
Ok there you go..... greedy bastards ](*,)

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 2:34 pm

posted 3 times for some reason
Last edited by Kaiheitai on December 2, 2008, 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 2:34 pm

Well hopefully some moderates start to rally, the silent majority must be getting pissed already...
Last edited by Kaiheitai on December 2, 2008, 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 2:36 pm

Except for this yokel, nice muzzle awareness Rambo.... this is why I was scared training with Thais at Cobra Gold! #-o

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 3:48 pm

PAD needs 2 more days to remove all belongings from Government House

The People's Alliance for Democracy needs two more days to dismantle all structures and remove all of its belongings from the Government House compound, Suriyasai Katasila, a PAD leader said Tuesday.

He said the PAD would officially hand over the Government House to the PM's office on Thursday.

The Nation
F#%@$ the PM office, give back the airport you PoS

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 2, 2008, 3:57 pm

PAD: entire Cabinet must leave office

People's Alliance for Democracy leader Somsak Kosaisuk on Tuesday vowed to continue rallying at Don Mueang and Suvarnabhumi airports and demanded the departure of the entire Cabinet.

Following the verdict on party disbandment, Somsak said the PAD would not allow the Cabinet to work in the caretaker capacity until the formation of the next government.

He said every minister must depart along with Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Of 36 Cabinet members, 22 are not affected by the party disbandment and can carry on in the caretaker administration.

The Nation
In your dreams.

Now that they've prevailed in the demand that the PM leave before they will give up their demonstrations they have upped the bet, and raised a cabinet.

crazy

Post by crazy » December 2, 2008, 4:06 pm

Tony Croweater wrote:Given the Constitution Court decision which will more than likely dissolve the PPP on Tuesday, I tend to lean toward a 'judicial coup' occurring.

But what happens after that doesn't bear thinking about. Hopefully the much anticipated individual's birthday speech on Friday will calm the situation.
Spot on Tony.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 2, 2008, 7:27 pm

It would appear that PAD is moving on, airport open dec 4th.
The outcome at the ballot box will be interesting at least life can try to return and I am sure HM will have a few words to the wise about this, and hopefully this time they will listen, as the BBC reporter said, noone can calculate the damage to Thailand we will all just have to wait and see.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 3, 2008, 7:45 am

"We have won a victory and achieved our aims," media mogul and PAD founder Sondhi Limthongkul said, reading a statement to reporters.

Is he trying to tell the 'sheep' he had at the airports and Parliament House that it was their protests that influenced the judges. I certainly hope and believe that is not true.

IMO, if he was as half as smart as he makes out to be he should have held off any disruptions until after the courts decision which had been widely publicised to be bought down on the 2nd then considered his options.

To me it looks like he is back peddling knowing he has bitten off more than he can chew and maybe the back down is a dreaded ‘face saver’. I mean the dissolution of the party hasn’t changed anything really when it comes to government. OK there will be a few faces missing at the next elections if that’s called a ‘victory’.

Just my two bobs worth.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 3, 2008, 8:16 am

I think if they had held off waiting for the court,the gov't would have already amended the constitution,change the judges and Thaksin would have received his ''money'' and been on the hot track towards his ''dictatorship''.I can only imagine what that egotist would do after winning his way back! :yikes:

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 3, 2008, 12:04 pm

Well I think it will be interesting how this affects the PAD sheep once they go home and have a chance to lay off the Sondhi/ASTV yaa baa for awhile and actually absorb what their actions have caused... you know when they were camping at the gov't house and Swampy there was only one acceptable news source in that bubble... they might be idiots but I hope they are not ****** idiots [-( of course I was talking with a Thai grad school girl the other day who is supposed to be educated and she thought PAD was great... a lot of it is just reactionary polarization, sad

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » December 3, 2008, 1:02 pm

The PAD leaders should really be arrested and charged with terrorist offences. Of course that won't happen. Thailand will now degenerate into a backwater, politically and economically. What a pity that the economic halcyon days of Thaksin's leadership have been reduced to this.
Re the immediate above post; it is hard to believe that any even remotely educated person can have any sympathy whatsoever for PAD mob of hooligans. Perhaps the Bkk Thais should be disenfranchised?

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 3, 2008, 1:11 pm

rufus wrote:Perhaps the Bkk Thais should be disenfranchised?
A little taste of their own medicine... talk about a sense of entitlement [-(

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » December 3, 2008, 1:19 pm

There is a chance that Thais could devise a government different from, but better than, their present democracy.

The authors of the U.S. Constitution didn't think much of a democratic government. The word democracy can't be found in the U.S. Constitution or the Declaration of Independance.

Perhaps a constitutional aristocracy would work for Thailand.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 3, 2008, 1:22 pm

TJ wrote:There is a chance that Thais could devise a government different from, but better than, their present democracy.

The authors of the U.S. Constitution didn't think much of a democratic government. The word democracy can't be found in the U.S. Constitution or the Declaration of Independance.

Perhaps a constitutional aristocracy would work for Thailand.
Best suggestion I have heard!
Wonder how they would go about setting it up? =D>

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 3, 2008, 1:50 pm

Hmmmmm, Thailand is already a constitutional monoarchy although "aristocracy" may better reflect the power distribution and structure. So are you guys swilling brewskis with Lee Kwan Yew, Mahatir Mohhamed, Sondhi, and Shintaro Ishihara on weekends praising the whole "Asian Values" bit? IMO, that political concept is farcical. Democracy is not causing Thailands weakness, it is entrenched Krung Thep interest groups who aren't willing to give an inch to culturally inferior brown 'Lao' people from Issan or those northerners who are still mad about losing their kingdom...

However it would be interesting to have a frank discussion on the central institution of Thailand... personally I don't know enough about that situation to be forming solid opinions but I have read on numerous different forums that its sanctity is being question increasingly frequently especially among the disenfranchised non-Krung Tepians... well I don't want to get ixnay'ed at immigration for the majeste bit so I tread lightly :| but you have to admit their was some pretty blatant interference in politics by the funeral bit in October :-k

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 3, 2008, 2:03 pm

To me, this puts it very succinctly:
One seasoned journalist summed it up nicely: "Covering this crisis is like trying to explain the unexplainable, without mentioning the unmentionable."

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » December 3, 2008, 3:19 pm

was there even such a word way back when............. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Return to “Open Forum”