Rough treatment by traffic police

Udon Thani news, views and comments
gunny_USMC

Re: Rough treatment by traffic police

Post by gunny_USMC » December 16, 2009, 11:41 pm

I've been stopped twice by the Police. Both times were for no helmet. Paid the 200.00Tbh. But also the cops were very polite the whole time. I have never had any problems with the Police.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » December 17, 2009, 9:11 am

I have been stopped numerous times, for licence checks breath test etc, the police have always been polite and courteous without exception. Carried out their checks and sent me on my way, they have never asked for or extracted any cash from me.
I wear a helmet, have a Thai licence and am equally courteous to them. I also have a decent helmet not the plastic ones issued when you purchase or bike or can be bought for 100B

I read so many posts on here regarding the dangerous way Thais drive then see so many Farangs drive motorbikes without helmets, apart from the fact it is breaking the law (albeit for an affordable fine) doesnt anyone think, a helmet may just save your life (when there are so many idiots driving on the road) or is it just 'cool' to cruise around without one and take a chance??

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » December 17, 2009, 10:10 am

Tafia wrote:I have been stopped numerous times, for licence checks breath test etc, the police have always been polite and courteous without exception. Carried out their checks and sent me on my way, they have never asked for or extracted any cash from me.
I wear a helmet, have a Thai licence and am equally courteous to them. I also have a decent helmet not the plastic ones issued when you purchase or bike or can be bought for 100B
Ditto.

Never a problem. In fact, they are happy to see that I have a Thai license and wave me on my way without hesitation.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 17, 2009, 4:37 pm

Driven 300,000+km in the years we've lived here. Fined once in Pattaya for driving the wrong way on a one way....legit fine and paid it at the police station. Warned a number of times for driving too long in the passing lane, but never fined. Stopped a number of times for document checks, but always waved through after seeing my documents were in order.

As for renegades on motorcycles doing a rapid 180 in the street to avoid a traffic cop......it's senseless, dangerous (for them and for oncoming drivers), and illegal. It has nothing to do with bad cops taking bribes, IMO. Try that stunt in the US and see what happens.

woody
udonmap.com

Post by woody » January 13, 2010, 11:09 am

for many the "small fine" maybe all they have for a few days
so this may not just be just a flippant/dangerous/illegal action

Return to “Udon Thani News”