Israel under attack from hamas, war declared.

Udon Map
Admin

Re: Israel under attack from hamas, war declared.

Post by Udon Map » September 14, 2024, 11:23 am

jackspratt wrote:
September 14, 2024, 9:59 am
Udon Map wrote:
September 13, 2024, 6:24 pm
The problem is that the only individual news reporters allowed in by Hamas are those who agree to, and actually do, play by Hamas' rules, namely reporting what Hamas wants them to report. I don't believe that there are any totally independent reporters in Gaza.
Seems that Hamas is not the only barrier to independent reporting.

https://archive.ph/Vwz0z

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/analysis/expla ... ar/3227314
Unfortunately, Jack, neither of your sources has credibility in my book. The first link is to Haaretz, a far left pulication described by a writer for The Atlantic in this way: “I like a lot of the people at Haaretz, and many of its positions, but the cartoonish anti-Israelism and anti-Semitism can be grating.”

The second is to the Anadolu Agency, a state-run news agency from Turkey. According to Wikipedia, "However, Anadolu Agency is frequently described as a mouthpiece of the Turkish government that engages in propaganda, owing to its state-run status."

Before the current war, Hamas restricted journalists. Since the war started, Israel (the IDF) has done the same. I'm more sympathetic to current restrictions as Gaza is an active war zone. There were similar restrictions by the U.S. on journalists during the Vietnam war, and by the Allies during World War 2. The IDF can at least use the excuse that journalists' activity in an active war zone must be restricted for safety of the journalists as well as keeping IDF strategy from the public.

From what I've read, Hamas restrictions before the current war were quite severe. Again, based on what I've read, current IDF restrictions are more severe than necessary.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 14, 2024, 12:08 pm

[Redacted]

. . . To the contrary,I am quite happy when someone provides evidence. [Redacted]

In this instance, the point of my comment to UM was that Israel is also restricting access to independent journalists - I'm sure most perceptive people would have recognised that. I just happened to pick the first two googled articles to link - there are many others if you google - which confirm my point, despite UM's reservations about Haaretz and Anadolu Agency.

[Redacted]

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » September 14, 2024, 12:42 pm

You just cannot help yourself Pratty.
Always a deflection or calling untruths about anything that does not agree with your absolute certainty that you are totally correct in all you post.
Your point is not confirmed and neither is your slavish belief in everything the Hamas propaganda machine states.
Grow up.
Come up with something original.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 14, 2024, 6:49 pm

To be clear, all viewpoints on this topic are welcome. Ad hominem comments or attacks are not. The Mods will take further action if people cannot adhere to this relatively mild restriction. Please, gentlemen, attack the idea or comment, not the poster.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 14, 2024, 6:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 14, 2024, 12:08 pm
In this instance, the point of my comment to UM was that Israel is also restricting access to independent journalists - I'm sure most perceptive people would have recognised that. I just happened to pick the first two googled articles to link - there are many others if you google - which confirm my point, despite UM's reservations about Haaretz and Anadolu Agency.
Yes, there is no question that the IDF has been restricting journalists' access to Gaza since the Hamas attack last October. It is true, however, that I try to limit my serious news sources to those which at least make a reasonable attempt to be impartial. I used to count the BBC in that group, but no longer. In my book, Reuters still meets my test.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » September 16, 2024, 4:44 am

3 Hostages Likely Killed by Israeli Strike Last Fall, I.D.F. Says
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/15/worl ... trike.html

So Israel apparently does investigate itself and accepts blame where the evidence so indicates. What it doesn't do, much to the chagrin of the Hamas apologists, is simply take Hamas' word for what happened.

Return to “Politics - Other than Thailand”