VPN

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Charlieb
udonmap.com

VPN

Post by Charlieb » November 14, 2023, 6:04 pm

I would like to get an idea of which VPN others are using if any. I have tried a couple different ones but have not found one I am satisfied with, I tried SurfShark and ExpressVPN. I got my money back for both. Both of these VPNs seemed to limit my network experience rather than help it. Sites were blocked and download speeds were cut by as much as 70% in some cases.

My main desire for a VPN is to change my geographic location for some streaming services. I tried to attach to a server in the US (Dallas) but ran into all sorts of problems. They told me to use a server in Thailand or somewhere closer. What good would that do me?

So, I am open for recommendations.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: VPN

Post by AlexO » November 14, 2023, 6:56 pm

I am pretty sure that the use of VPN's is illegal in Thailand. I used to have a VPN for my streaming box, had nothing but problems until cancelled VPN. Since, have read a couple of articles about Thai Authorities not allowing secret internet communications via VPN's.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 14, 2023, 7:00 pm

I have been using PureVPN for a couple if years. Works well enough including traveling/roaming overseas, using satellite comms and even Elon Musk's Starlink LEO satellite system.

I read good things about NordVPN and I just found out I get it free with my Revolut account so I may try that.

Using a VPN in Thailand is not illegal. Using one to subvert their draconian computer crime legislation is illegal but not using a VPN itself.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 14, 2023, 7:06 pm

Using a VPN in Thailand is not illegal. Using one to subvert their draconian computer crime legislation is illegal but not using a VPN itself.

Thanks for the clarification. I read that they do try and bugger up comms via VPN, all to do with protecting certain institutions and individuals.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » November 14, 2023, 7:48 pm

I think nearly all VPN's will slow you down to one degree or another.

I've used ExpressVPN on my phone but for PC's I used StrongVPN for some time then it seemed like Netflix figured things out so I switched to PureVPN then NordVPN.

Of course Netflix has since put a node in Thailand so VPN is not necessary for that (unless you want US/UK/etc specific content) but I can say NordVPN does work most of the time for Amazon Prime Video, paying my AZ property tax and browsing Home Depot or other web sites that prevent non-US originated access. I may have used it for iPlayer when I first installed that in the postcode of my completely fully paid up TV licence.

Years ago, I used Smart DNS Proxy which didn't degrade streaming speeds much (once again Netflix figured that out too so I stopped paying for it). This was nice as I set it up on my FireStick instead of my router so the rest of the network was unaffected.

Unrelated to VPN but may be useful to someone: While I was in the US this year I used a phone app to spoof my GPS location as the online lottery to hike in a special, highly sought after, sandstone area we wished to visit required we be inside a tightly GEOfenced area 2 days before applying. Worked well for that purpose. Can't recall the name I just took the top rated one on the Google Play list then deleted it after use. I can see there may be some nefarious uses for that app apart from my innocent travel timing.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 14, 2023, 8:20 pm

AlexO wrote:
November 14, 2023, 7:06 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I read that they do try and bugger up comms via VPN, all to do with protecting certain institutions and individuals.
Perhaps this will help.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55156&p=681495#p681495

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 15, 2023, 7:32 am

Charlieb wrote:
November 14, 2023, 6:04 pm
My main desire for a VPN is to change my geographic location for some streaming services. I tried to attach to a server in the US (Dallas) but ran into all sorts of problems. They told me to use a server in Thailand or somewhere closer. What good would that do me?
I use NordVPN. I need it because my bank only allows access to U.S. IP addresses. I find it easy to use, and works the same on my iPhone as it does on my laptop.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 15, 2023, 10:12 am

I guess I will try NordVPN next. It has been recommended by others.
Thanks

can123
udonmap.com

Post by can123 » November 15, 2023, 12:54 pm

I use Nord VPN almost constantly as it allows me to watch BBC iPlayer etc. I watch UK TV live albeit seven hours difference in time zones.
There is a limit to how much Thai TV soaps I can watch.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 15, 2023, 3:48 pm

I subscribe to Express VPN = very impressed with their customer service! There has been an on going cyper conflict between them and "Kayo Sports Australia" (who have a HATE for VPN's and, who, are the only avenue for we expats to stream their content - Kayo don't seem to care I'm paying customer). Express sorts it within hours of me giving them notification, 24/7.
Had the same problem a few years ago with Fubo (USA) - Fubo gave up = streaming no longer a problem!!!!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 21, 2023, 5:03 am

<redundant>
Last edited by tamada on November 21, 2023, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » November 21, 2023, 7:34 am

Off-topic posts removed.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 21, 2023, 11:32 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
November 15, 2023, 3:48 pm
I subscribe to Express VPN = very impressed with their customer service! There has been an on going cyper conflict between them and "Kayo Sports Australia" (who have a HATE for VPN's and, who, are the only avenue for we expats to stream their content - Kayo don't seem to care I'm paying customer). Express sorts it within hours of me giving them notification, 24/7.
Had the same problem a few years ago with Fubo (USA) - Fubo gave up = streaming no longer a problem!!!!

This statement was previously deleted by the mods for being off topic. For the sake of accuracy Kayo is not the only streaming sports content provider, several other cheaper options like IPTV and this does not require a VPN
Last edited by Whistler on November 21, 2023, 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 21, 2023, 11:55 am

IPTV is a really generic term. It is like saying use the internet. Why not provide specifics like how to find a provider IPTV players, etc.?

Just a thought

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 21, 2023, 12:01 pm

Charlieb wrote:
November 21, 2023, 11:55 am
IPTV is a really generic term. It is like saying use the internet. Why not provide specifics like how to find a provider IPTV players, etc.?
Increasing
Just a thought
You are correct Charlie, it is a generic term. However it is also a registered app on the app store.

Here is another one, but by no means the only one. I use from a canadian guy in Kut Chap, $3800 baht a year. I login with password and server name and that is it. If you want more details PM me

https://iptvexpress.info/?gclid=Cj0KCQi ... 81EALw_wcB
Best being part of this forum by placing the intellectual challenged on foes list. A lot less post to read and a great time saver.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » November 21, 2023, 5:59 pm

I think the one on the Play Store is IPTV Smarters.
I find that I cannot use the same providers most of you guys use since they seem to be skewed toward Europeans. I am an American and need things like NFL and American TV programs. Since I do not enjoy watching a game at 3 AM, I also need catch-up.
I have a pretty good provider for which I pay $60 for 6 months. Its called IPTVEROS. Like all providers there are glitches now and then but for the price, I can't complain.
I mostly use TiViMate as a player but have installed IPTV Smarters and XCIPTV as well.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 21, 2023, 7:14 pm

I use starters as the delivery layer. Not bad

AmericanExpatUT

Post by AmericanExpatUT » July 19, 2024, 7:53 am

Private Internet Access is a great VPN, i pay for my own exclusive Server on west coast of America, bounce around whereever I want to watch different geo location locked streaming services plus it allows all my devices to be used at the same time. I even have the wifes iPad and Iphone on it....

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”