THE IRISH CLOCK

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
Naam Jai
udonmap.com

THE IRISH CLOCK

Post by Naam Jai » November 17, 2007, 7:36 pm

Nice drop of Guiness, John Smiths on its way and Tiger on draught. The food is excellent. The ambience "homely" and un bothered.

So where's the competition?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 17, 2007, 8:11 pm

I agree that the Clock, with Steve & Mali in charge is an excellent place to stay, drink, or eat. But, luckily, different people have different requirements - otherwise you would not be able to get through the door of the Clock for the customers inside.
For example, if i were single, and wanted female company the Clock would not rate highly on my list of places to go. If I wanted Thai company & not Falang, again the Clock would be down the list. If I wanted somewhere that was boisterous & noisy again the Clock would be far down the list.
Luckily there is space in Udon for a variety of different venues & entertainment, if we were all the same the world would be a very boring place to be...
:D

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » November 17, 2007, 8:18 pm

BobHelm
Yes but where IS the competition?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 17, 2007, 8:59 pm

Naam Jai,

Just look at the front page of Udonmap.com under 'Our Sponsors' & take your pick... :D

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » November 17, 2007, 9:31 pm

i must admit the clock is hard to beat all round its got to be in the top 3 places in udon will be plonking myself there beer / laptop / food and more food and more beer :lol: :lol: :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 17, 2007, 10:42 pm

it's a weekly stop for me, tiger, steak and mush pie, and wifi. hard to beat for that. as pointed out by Bob, other venues for other moods. 8)

luckily, i can find one for every day of the week, i love udon :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)

fussychunk
udonmap.com

Post by fussychunk » November 18, 2007, 2:00 am

How long have Steve & Mali been there? Back in August when in Udon I popped into the Irish Clock and had a soured pint of John Smiths...tasted like 1 of those german beers. :( Was going to take it back but the misses dosnt like me complaining about things as she thinks i show her up!

I just drink Chang as its hard to screw that up!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » November 18, 2007, 2:01 am

I love the Clock, I always feel comfortable there.

The full English breakfast, those pies, the clean toilets where you don't have to perform lavitation.
The choice of beers, the decent pool tables, the friendly wenches, and Steve and Mali.
You have to pinch yourself to remind one that the Clock is smack bang in the middle of Issanshire.

A quiet retreat.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » November 18, 2007, 4:21 am

fussychunk wrote:How long have Steve & Mali been there? Back in August when in Udon I popped into the Irish Clock and had a soured pint of John Smiths...tasted like 1 of those german beers. :( Was going to take it back but the misses dosnt like me complaining about things as she thinks i show her up!

this december ,one year

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 18, 2007, 4:49 am

if the beer is 'off' at some place it's well worth saying something to the guvnor of the establishment so he/she/they can rectify the problem, remember the person pouring/serving it probably would'nt know the differance between a good beer and a bad beer.

you know it makes sense. ;)

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » November 18, 2007, 5:27 am

Beermonkey
Especially as Steve doesn't drink or hasn't for many years.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » November 18, 2007, 11:14 am

fussychunk wrote:How long have Steve & Mali been there? Back in August when in Udon I popped into the Irish Clock and had a soured pint of John Smiths...tasted like 1 of those german beers. :( Was going to take it back but the misses dosnt like me complaining about things as she thinks i show her up!

Have you tried the Tiger on draught there? Good stuff and goes great with the Sunday roast beef dinner special. I tried the Guinness dark but it was bitter and not to my personal liking, must be one of those "acquired taste" things.

One thing I do have in common with the English is enjoying a full breakfast and you get a good one at the Clock with refills on coffee. I don't know about the baked beans that come with it but they were very tasty.

A funny incident while eating brekkie at the Clock awhile back. An elderly monk came in to solicit donations for refurbishment of a local wat. He was accompanied by a young Thai male who did all of the talking and handed out literature about the cause. This guy was wearing a t-shirt with a strange inscription of "---- Off, Mate" on the front side. The TW asked him where he bought it and why was he wearing this t-shirt while trying to collect donations? The Thai guy answered that he bought it at the night market but had no idea of what the English words actually meant. We advised him to either change the t-shirt or wear it backwards as a message to anyone who didn't donate a couple of baht to the cause. Last seen, they just continued on with the door-to-door collections. :lol:

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » November 18, 2007, 11:34 am

polehawk wrote:Have you tried the Tiger on draught there? Good stuff and goes great with the Sunday roast beef dinner special. I tried the Guinness dark but it was bitter and not to my personal liking, must be one of those "acquired taste" things.
Yes it is... A lot of American tourists go to the Guinness brewery hopstore (visitor centre) and sample the Guinness but almost spit it out. It is common practice for them to put Coca Cola in it.. In Ireland this is the equivalent of giving your grandmother a goodnight kiss and putting your tongue in!
polehawk wrote:"]A funny incident while eating brekkie at the Clock awhile back. An elderly monk came in to solicit donations for refurbishment of a local wat. He was accompanied by a young Thai male who did all of the talking and handed out literature about the cause. This guy was wearing a t-shirt with a strange inscription of "---- Off, Mate" on the front side. The TW asked him where he bought it and why was he wearing this t-shirt while trying to collect donations? The Thai guy answered that he bought it at the night market but had no idea of what the English words actually meant. We advised him to either change the t-shirt or wear it backwards as a message to anyone who didn't donate a couple of baht to the cause. Last seen, they just continued on with the door-to-door collections. :lol:

Hey I was there that day... :shock: He asked me to help him refurbish the temple so I gave him a hammer and bag of nails.

jepp
udonmap.com

Re: THE IRISH CLOCK

Post by jepp » March 10, 2009, 1:09 pm

On recent holiday in UT, lacking the confidence to eat in the street/markets, and looking for aircond. I headed for the Irish Clock. We ended up eating there often as the food was 1st rate, staff very friendly, and dunny clean. 5 stars

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 10, 2009, 7:05 pm

Jepp, yes Irish Clock gives you a feeling of food safety, but would say that after no problems first trip ate at a lot of other places, including street stalls (did have direction by TGF); never got any illness. Had more trouble in Oz! (up north).

Kevro
udonmap.com

Post by Kevro » March 10, 2009, 7:41 pm

Jepp,

when ever I am lucky enough to be in the big smoke I always head to the Irish Clock for a feed. Was there yesterday for a lunch and I sure needed the falang food fix. It was very nice after the village cuisine (understatement).

Might score a whole weekend in 2 - 4 weeks

kevro

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » March 10, 2009, 10:14 pm

I ate at the Irish Clock the last time I was there,in october.I ate there every morning,and some nights.the food was really good.And the hired help they were quite friendly.I was going to hit on the young one but I know she was probably to young so I didn't.But A very nice place to eat.

Laemthong
udonmap.com

Post by Laemthong » March 19, 2009, 5:53 am

I had a great time here while in Udon. Great food and lovely staff.

Best wishes to Steve, Mali and staff and see you all in July.

mapache
udonmap.com

Post by mapache » March 19, 2009, 1:47 pm

I stayed at the Irish Clock for two months last summer. Great place! Wonderful owners and workers! I did have a problem with the wireless internet service that Steve was not able to fix while I was there, perhaps now it's fixed. Specifically, the wireless internet did not work well in all rooms. In one room it worked great all the time, but when I moved to another room it didn't work at all, and I would have to take my laptop downstairs to the bar to use it.

I have one tip that you might not know about: the western breakfast (or whatever it's called) is free if you are staying there, but you can eat other food, Thai for example, for breakfast and get credit for the price of the western breakfast. For example, if the western breakfast costs B100 and your Thai breakfast cost B120, you only have to pay the B20.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 19, 2009, 1:51 pm

i believe wifi is good on all floors now, and good tip about credit to other meals, as i'm not a big breakfast person myself. 60 baht meat pie sounds good :lol: :lol:

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”