Swedish tourist slain at Mai Khao

Thailand news, views and comments
donthani
udonmap.com

Swedish tourist slain at Mai Khao

Post by donthani » March 16, 2008, 6:37 am

Saturday, March 15, MAI KHAO: The body of a Swedish tourist was found at Mai Khao Beach, at the north end of Phuket, this morning.

Lt Col Somkid Khaosang of Tah Chat Chai Police Station named the deceased as Hanna Charlotta, 27.

Her body, dressed in a one-piece swimsuit, was found about 11:30 am on the beach around 300 meters from Mai Khao Beach Bungalow, where she was staying, Lt Col Somkid said.

Her throat had multiple stab wounds, he said, adding that her body had been taken to Thalang Hospital for autopsy.

Lt Gen Sakchai Limcharoen, Superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police Station said in a press release that police believe three to four people were involved in the attack, which is believed to have been an attempted rape.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 16, 2008, 7:00 am

A Swedish tourist was found dead Saturday on a beach in Thailand, police said.

The woman was identified as a 27-year-old who had been visiting the island of Phuket, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, with two friends, police Lt. Gen. Sakchai Limcharoen.

One of the woman's travel companions discovered her body midday Saturday near the bungalow they had rented, Sakchai said.

She appeared to have been attacked with sharp objects, Sakchai said. Police were investigating the attack.

The Swedish Embassy was closed for the weekend and could not immediately be reached for comment.

Can You Dig It Dug.?

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » March 16, 2008, 11:48 am

As this is my neck of the woods, I feel I should comment. I visit Mao Khao, about three or four times a week, so I know the area pretty well.

Personally I am shocked and disgusted that this should happen, but sadly it appears that she was attacked by Thai nationals, who seem to think lonley young girls on a deserted beach are fair game, when they do not reciprocate the worst happens ( a similar incident happened on Koh Samui a few years ago). Whilst I wholly condemn this tragedy and however is responsible will be executed (as like last time). The fact of the matter remains, western women should not go around at night on their own and also they have to keep a sense of dress about them, many times I have seen girls walking along the beach with only a thong on, whilst this is ok in Europe, Thais take a dim view of this and the odd few take it upon themselves to act.

Lets hope they catch whoever is responsible fast and maybe it will be a lesson to other western girls to take extra care.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 16, 2008, 12:10 pm

Paul if you are talking about the 2 Thai fishermen who raped and murdered the english woman, from memory their death sentences were commuted to life imprisonment.

Somebody please correct me if I am wrong - I plead old age.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » March 16, 2008, 12:30 pm

Despite his old age,jack is correct.
The two thai fisherman in Koh Samui were originally sentenced to death but the sentence was later commuted to life imprisonment.
In this case the Swedish girls body was found 300 metres from the guest house where she was staying.As she was wearing a one piece swimsuit its maybe a fair supposition she had gone out for a swim ?
Sure,young western girls should watch where they go alone but there is absolutely no justification for this sort of attack.
The perpretrators are no better than animals and deserve execution but,like Koh Samui,its likely to be life imprisonment for them if they are caught.
Just my view....

Zidane
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » March 16, 2008, 1:07 pm

Jack, My apologies, you are correct, I thought they were executed.................mores the pity they were'nt !!

Zidane, agree with you, but going swimming alone at night is not recommended !
especially with so many Buffalo (Thai) around, life appears to cheap to them.

An angry Farrang !

monkeyman
udonmap.com

Post by monkeyman » March 16, 2008, 1:18 pm

yesterday?

FOXNEWS.COM HOME > WORLD

Swedish Woman Found Dead on Thai Beach
Saturday, March 15, 2008

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,338117,00.html

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 16, 2008, 7:20 pm

More from a swedish newspaper. www.thelocal.se

The woman was found stabbed to death on Mai Khao beach on the tourist island of Phuket, said Thai police to AFP.

"It has been confirmed that the woman is Swedish and that she is dead," said Tobias Nilsson at the Swedish foreign ministry.

"The woman was found on Saturday morning local time and police are investigating the circumstances," Nilsson said.

According to a report in Dagens Nyheter the woman had been camping on the beach with a travelling companion.

The woman took a stroll along the beach on Saturday morning while her friend remained in their tent. After an hour and a half the friend grew concerned and went out to look for her. The woman then found her 27-year-old companion dead further along the beach.

She is in a state of shock and is being cared for by Thai medical staff and the Swedish consulate on Phuket.

Mai Khao beach is Phuket's longest beach, stretching over 12 kilometers. The beach is protected due to the sea turtles that come ashore to lay there eggs and so is one of the island's calmest. The pair were staying at Phuket Campground, right on the beach.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » March 17, 2008, 5:54 am

Sunday, March 16, 2008
No progress in Hanna murder investigation

MAI KHAO: The body of Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, who was found murdered on Mai Khao Beach yesterday morning, has been flown to Bangkok for forensic tests, Col Sakchai Limcharoen, Superintendent of Tah Chat Chai Police Station, told the Gazette this afternoon.

“There is no news to report at this time, but police are working quickly to solve this case. We have questioned many people, but no-one has reported being a witness to the crime, including her girl friend,” he said.

Hanna Charlotta was staying at Mai Khao Beach Bungalow resort with Emma Storman, who found Hanna’s body about 300 meters from the resort.

Tah Chat Chai Police Deputy Superintendent Lt Col Payongsak Petchrod told the Gazette, “The place where the body was found is hard to see and very quiet. There is a mound there and behind that is thick with trees. There are no restaurants near there, and no people.”

Emma told police that she did not see anyone in the area around the time of the murder, Lt Col Payongsak said. “Emma left the resort to buy some water and she told Hanna that she will join her sunbathing later. About 30 minutes later, she returned to find Hanna dead,” he said.

“Hanna was very beautiful and she was sunbathing topless. Emma said that they normally sunbathed topless if there were no people around,” he added.

“There were many stab wounds on her neck, one on her back, one near her navel and both of her hands had been cut by something sharp. It’s possible those wounds came from her fighting her attacker,” Lt Col Payongsak said.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 17, 2008, 12:15 pm

The Killing of Falangs is becoming a National sport at the moment. I'd like to see a little Sanity restored before things get out of control. 8)

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » March 17, 2008, 12:31 pm

Aardvark wrote:The Killing of Falangs is becoming a National sport at the moment. I'd like to see a little Sanity restored before things get out of control. 8)
I wonder why this is ? Could it be that we are taking their women ? Although I understand that women out number guys by 4 to 1 , according to my wife there were always more girls in her class than boys and the same remains now.

Or is it a case of let kill em for fun ?

Either way, this needs to be stopped ! :mad:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » March 17, 2008, 1:20 pm

I don't think it is a National sport!Every falang murdered is National news!Add to that,the imprudent actions of many foreign victims and you have headlines!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 17, 2008, 7:21 pm

Minister of Tourism traveled to see progress over the swedish tourist murder case

Minister of Tourism and Sports, Mr.Weerasak Kowsurat accompanied with a team of officials reportedly traveled to the resort island of Phuket where he wants to see the progress in the investigation over Swedish tourist murder.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found dead on Mai Khao Beach in Phuket, only 400 meters away from her bungalow, with multiple stab wounds on her body.

Police assumed that the wounds were believed to be a result of struggling against assailants which has led to her death.

The police indicated that the case is progressing very well.

In addition, he said the Phuket Tourism Association has announced to give 100,000 baht as an arrest reward to those who provide clues since the murder may affect the country’s tourism image.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 17, 2008, 11:26 pm

MAI KHAO: Police investigating the murder of Swedish tourist Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 26, whose body was found at Mai Khao Beach on Saturday morning, are waiting to speak to a key person before moving to arrest their prime suspect for the murder, Phuket Police Deputy Commander Col Paween Pongsirin told the Gazette today.

“We have received important information from villagers in the area. I can’t say anything more to the media at this moment,” he said.

Col Paween confirmed that yesterday police interviewed three men in connection with the murder. No arrests were made.

However, Col Paween did not confirm reports that the wounds inflicted on Hanna were made by a knife similar to those used by local fishermen.

Hanna had been staying at the Mai Khao Beach Resort with friend Emma Storman, who found Hanna's body 300 meters from resort. According to police, Hanna died from stab wounds to her neck and body.

Officers from the Crime Suppression Division from Bangkok arrived in Phuket this morning to assist with the investigation, which included questioning local residents.

“We have limited evidence from the murder scene because of the proximity to the sea. We are awaiting the results of DNA tests from Hanna’s body,” Tah Chat Chai Police Superintendent Pol Col Sakchai Limcharoen said.

A 100,000-baht reward is being offered by local businesses for anyone who comes forward with information that leads to finding those responsible for Hanna’s death.

Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat arrived in Phuket today to visit the murder scene and meet with Emma, who is being treated for shock at Phuket International Hospital.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » March 18, 2008, 1:00 am

Beautiful blonde sunbathing topless on a remote beach with horny fishermen around is asking for trouble.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 18, 2008, 11:30 am

izzix wrote:Beautiful blonde sunbathing topless on a remote beach with horny fishermen around is asking for trouble.
I assume you have you seen a photo of her, izzix.

Therefore, hopefully you can post a link to share with the rest of us.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » March 18, 2008, 1:18 pm

It is unfortunate that a person must be killed before people discuss the need to follow common sense safety precautions. Thailand can be a very beautiful place but there is also a dark side. Some Thais are very passive about preventing problems or protecting others. The travel industry does not do enough to caution travelers about the need for safety. You have to read a lot of different websites to get a sense that everything in a particular tourist area is not all sweet and innocent.

Also I don't know if the Swedish government does enough to caution it's citizens who travel about the cultural differences and potential safety problems they might face when they come to Thailand. Topless sunbathing is not the norm in Thailand. Women walking alone on a isolated area/beach is not a smart idea. Lonely fisherman have nothing better to do than drink their days away

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 18, 2008, 3:11 pm

I wonder if the recent trip by the minister of tourism had anything to with the expedient ID of the suspect or the cash reward offered. For 100,000bt, I bet there were a ---- load of suspects. Just hope it's the right guy when and if they get him.
Arrest warrant out for suspected killer of Swedish tourist

PHUKET, March 18 (TNA) - A Thai court-approved arrest warrant has been issued for a local man suspected of the brutal killing of a Swedish tourist last Saturday in this popular resort island, local police announced on Tuesday.

Charlotta Hanna, 27, a Swedish national, was found dead Saturday at popular Mai Kao beach. Police said she had been attacked and stabbed in the neck.

Phuket provincial governor Nirand Galyanamitra and Police Maj-Gen. Decha Butnampetr, provincial police commissioner, jointly announced at a news conference here that the suspect, identified as Akradej Tanke, 31, is being sought under an arrest warrant.

The suspect was believed to have fled his home in Phuket's Thalang district and gone to the southern province of Chumphon after the murder, the governor said.

"A largr-scale manhunt by the combined police forces of Phuket and Chumphon is now underway to bring him to justice as the case has tarnished the tourism industry," said Mr. Nirand.

Mr. Akradej was convicted on a charge of theft in 2006, and has changed his name many times, he added.

A cash reward of Bt100,000 (US$3,225) has been offered for any clues leading to the arrest of the murderer.

The Swedish embassy earlier dispatched an official to assist in the police investigation. (TNA)-E001
http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=3326

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 18, 2008, 7:32 pm

MAI KHAO: Police have been issued an arrest warrant for Phuket native Akkaradej “Chon” Tunkae, 31, a local resident in Mai Khao, for the murder of Swedish tourist Hanna Backlund, 26.

Hanna was found stabbed to death on Mai Khao Beach about 300 meters from where she was staying. Her body was discovered by Emma Stenman, who Hanna was holidaying with at the time.

At a press conference at Phuket Provincial Hall at 9:45 am, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Decha Butnampeth said that Akkaradej is believed to be in Chumphon. “On the morning of March 16 [the day after the murder], he called his wife and told her that he was in Chumphon with his daughter.

“We are working closely with Chumphon police to find him,” he said.

“Before he left, he was seen with wounds on three fingers of his right hand. His middle finger, ring finger and little finger all had plasters [band aids] on them,” Gen Decha said.

Phuket Governor Niran Kalayanamit said, “After questioning about 12 local villagers, including his wife, it was discovered that he liked to hide and look at foreign women who went swimming at the beach. He seemed obsessed.

“He cleaned swimming pools and did gardening for some local government offices. He was separated from ex-his wife and had remarried. He has one daughter from his ex-wife and he lived about eight kilometers from the scene [of the murder],” he said.

In 2006, Akkaradej was charged by Cherng Talay Police with robbery and later found guilty, Gen Decha said.

At that time Akkaradej used the name “Tatchai”. He changed his name after being released from prison, he added.
Photo on this link.
http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index ... 7113165752

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 19, 2008, 5:24 pm

Quoted from Thaivisa:
March 19, 2008 - 2:50PM
Related coverage

* Female Phuket tourists to be given safety whistles

A Thai man suspected of killing a Swedish tourist on the southern resort island of Phuket has surrendered to police after a three-day manhunt, police said today.

Hanna Charlotta Backlund, 27, was found stabbed to death on Saturday near her bungalow on Mai Khao beach in northern Phuket where she had gone for a walk.

Police Lieutenant General Tani Twidsi told Reuters Akaradech Tangae, a 31-year-old labourer who surrendered to police yesterday, said he had tried to rape Backlund, but she resisted and he stabbed her to death.

Akaradech fled to neighbouring Burma but returned after police assured his relatives that a murder charge would not carry the death penalty.

"He is a 'peeping tom'. He loves to bring friends to this remote and quiet beach to look at naked tourists swimming or sunbathing," Tani said.

Phuket, one of the six southern provinces hit by the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami which killed 5395 people in Thailand, is a popular destination for Western tourists fleeing cold winters.

Reuters

Return to “Thailand News”