40% are doing the dirty on their partner

Thailand news, views and comments
izzix
udonmap.com

40% are doing the dirty on their partner

Post by izzix » October 16, 2007, 1:13 am

Poll finds 40% spouses have lovers

BANGKOK: -- While most people in committed relationships demand faithfulness from their partner, a recent survey has found that a number of them cheated - or are still cheating - on their significant other.

Of the 1,480 people aged 18 and older who were polled, about 40 per cent said they had had one or more romantic relationships with people other than their spouse or committed partner.

Nearly 40 per cent of these unfaithful partners said they were still cheating on their partners.

"We are concerned that having 'giks' [casual affairs] will become something common," said Noppadon Kannika, head of the Assumption University's Social Innovation in Manage-ment and Business Analysis Research Centre, yesterday.

The centre conducted the survey on October 9 and 10 in Bangkok and nearby provinces in a bid to explore why people cheat on their partners.

According to the survey, women's fussiness, men's incompetence, family conflicts and loneliness are among the main reasons why people are unfaithful. Pursuit of sexual pleasure, the desire to prove one's sexual appeal, and stress were also cited as reasons.

Some 87 per cent of respondents said they heard about extramarital relationships and casual lovers from news reports.

Noppadon voiced concern over the finding that the respondents tended to consider these casual relationships - known as "giks" in Thai - common.

However, when asked what they would do if they found out that their partner had cheated on them, more than 85 per cent said they would not be able to accept it.

Asked about their reaction to the recent scandal over a top official at the Social Development and Human Security Ministry having extramarital affairs with subordinates, 76 per cent said their trust in the ministry had diminished.

More than half of those polled wanted government agencies, non-governmental organisations, politicians, Cabinet members, businessmen, actors, actresses and singers to campaign against unfaithfulness.

"We are also concerned that people who should be role models in society, like politicians, high-ranking government officials and celebrities, are often seen as unfaithful to their partners," Noppadon said.

--The Nation 2007-10-12

jepp
udonmap.com

Re: 40% are doing the dirty on their partner

Post by jepp » April 24, 2009, 12:52 pm

This article refers to "giks" as extramarital affairs. There is another common term used in Thailand that I am trying to recall. Can anyone help please?

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » April 24, 2009, 1:07 pm

jepp wrote:This article refers to "giks" as extramarital affairs. There is another common term used in Thailand that I am trying to recall. Can anyone help please?
Do you mean "Mia noi?' Only other one I know about.But must be more.I think Mia noi is more of an ongoing affair.
Than a GIK
Seems a bit sketchy the reason .I dont know if the other partner excepts it or not.But it's not free she has to be "Take care of.
Also It does'nt say the % of males, and % females do in the hanki panky I think mostly the ladies!
My God! Two of em :yikes:I got a job keeping one wife ! .....But she's worth it!

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » April 24, 2009, 5:46 pm

I think it was Johnny Carson who once said: "It's not really cheating if you do it in another area code". :lol:

Then there is always the Bill Clinton school of thought ;) .

We Americans, always can find a loophole.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 24, 2009, 6:36 pm

gik is simply friend or acquaintances who have mutual consenting sex together, no bond or attachment decided at beginning of relationship.

mia noi is more of an ongoing 2nd wife/family thing.

though i am always suspect of who and where they get these respondents from. if interviewing subscribers to playboy, and home and gardens, i would suspect different numbers.

what do you really expect, no surprises, considering mia noi used to be widely accepted, and on tv, a certain person parades around with his girlfriends and illegitimate kids, and accepted or tolerated by all of thailand. :-k :-k :-k

if you don't know, don't ask, won't get the answer on this forum from me :frying pan: :frying pan:

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » April 25, 2009, 12:16 am

Izzie, you posted this to make you feel better because you're riding the choo choo train with those middle aged sisters across the soi, you filthy, ferrety little man! :lol:

Return to “Thailand News”