Baht What up with Dat?????

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
bumper
udonmap.com

Re: Baht What up with Dat?????

Post by bumper » June 22, 2009, 8:43 am

Not much can be said about thuis the BOT sees things as they see them, this makes it very clear. Like I said hope the refreshments were good at the meeting cause thats all they got out of it.

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW
'Worst over for economy but recovery not visible'
By Chamnan Noisamran
The Nation
Published on June 22, 2009

BOT chief Tarisa says she is opposed to using foreign-exchange reserves to stimulate growth Ads by Google

The economy has seen through the worst but a recovery has not yet come to pass, the Bank of Thailand governor said.

In a special interview, Tarisa Watanagase said, "The Thai economy has bottomed out but signs of an economic recovery are not apparent yet. This broad outlook is a result of our discussion with the private sector. We still need to take a look at the July figures first."

Still, Tarisa said the global economic conditions have begun to improve, compared with the turmoil in late 2008. Interest-rate spreads have started to return to normal because deep-seated problems in the US financial system have been tackled to a certain level following a recapitalisation of five to six financial institutions.

In Asia, Tarisa added, the situation is also getting better, with China mounting a massive fiscal stimulus package to address its unemployment. Exports of Asian countries are still in negative territory, but the conditions are beginning to stabilise, particularly for Thai exports. The electronics sector, for instance, has begun to hire again.

Recently, Dr Narongchai Arkasanee, a well-known economist, and other academics, called on the central bank to use US$200 million (Bt6.82 billion) to $300 million of its international reserves of $120 billion to help stimulate the sagging economy as the government is cash-strapped.

Tarisa vigorously defended

the central bank's international reserves management, saying that in economic theory it is not an appropriate policy

to use international reserves to prop up the economy.

"We have already talked it out with the prime minister and the finance minister that using international reserves to stimulate the economy is not a good option.

Apart from the US dollar, there are other currencies in the reserves. If we sell the dollar from the reserves, the value of the baht will jump, which would complicate the problems. And if the Bank of Thailand were to push out the baht by converting the US dollar in its own account, this would also amount to printing money," Tarisa said.

"No country in the world is spending money from its international reserves directly. If we were to use the reserves to buy up some oil reserves, then this matter can be put to rest because it would not affect the domestic economy."

With the staunch stand of the central bank against using the foreign exchange reserves, the Abhisit government has no other choice but to raise Bt800 billion via two bills from the financial markets to fill up the hole in its budget and to also stimulate the economy.

The House of Representatives has passed the Bt400-billion borrowing package introduced as an executive decree, and the Senate would deliberate this bill today. The other Bt400 billion borrowing package has also been passed by the House of Representatives, but it would be deliberated by the Senate probably in August.

Tarisa said the amount of US$120 billion in international reserves is actually not high because it is derived from export earnings, from foreign investors' portfolio investment in the stock market and from foreign borrowings of Thai firms and from foreign direct investment.

As for calls for the central bank to keep the baht weaker to boost exports, Tarisa said the central bank is managing the baht through a nominal effective exchange-rate system by weighing the Thai currencies with those of other trading partners, not only the US dollar.

In January, the baht stood at Bt34.92 to the US dollar, compared to Bt34.57 in May this year. This, Tarisa said, represents the baht's appreciation of only 1 per cent during the first five months of this year based on the nominal effective exchange rate mechanism.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 2, 2009, 6:42 am

I don't know guys but the BOT may be playing the game in the other direction and 34 seem like the target rate. Of SCB will get you 33.90 with the ATM rate. But as usual it seems to be the lowest exchange rate availabe via the ATM methhod
Asian Currencies: Rupiah, Peso Lead Weekly Gains on Fed, Stocks
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Lilian Karunungan

June 27 (Bloomberg) -- Indonesia’s rupiah and the Philippine peso had a weekly gain on optimism overseas investors will buy Asian bonds and stocks after the Federal Reserve signaled U.S. interest rates will be kept at near zero.

The rupiah was the biggest gainer this week among Asia’s 10 most-active currencies outside Japan as its 10-year bond yielded 7.6 percentage points more than similar-dated U.S. debt, near the highest in a month. U.S. policy makers said on June 24 they will keep the benchmark interest rate at “exceptionally low levels” for an “extended period.” The peso rose this week after the central bank said the Fed’s decision gives it scope to keep its “accommodative stance.”

“Investors are finally buying back Indonesian assets and that helps the rupiah,” said Mika Martumpal, a currency analyst at PT Bank Commonwealth in Jakarta. “The real interest rate is still competitive and is still more attractive than the U.S. dollar.”

The rupiah climbed 1.8 percent this week to 10,220 a dollar in Jakarta yesterday, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. The peso rose 0.2 percent to 48.305 in Manila, according to Tullett Prebon Plc. The Thai baht rose 0.3 percent to 34.07.

In the coming week, Bank Indonesia will hold its monthly meeting on policy rates. South Korea and Thailand will both report industrial production data and exports.

Payments Surplus

The Indonesian currency strengthened as overseas investors added to their holdings of the nation’s shares following an eight-day run of net sales, according to stock exchange data. Foreign holdings of Indonesian local-currency bonds were at 85.9 trillion rupiah as of June 25 ($8.4 billion) compared with 85.8 trillion rupiah at the end of last week, the Ministry of Finance posted on its Web site.

The peso halted two weeks of declines as central bank Governor Amando Tetangco said on June 25 the Fed’s policy stance “will benefit emerging markets such as the Philippines.” The central bank, which has lowered its overnight borrowing rate in all five meetings since December to 4.25 percent, will hold its next policy meeting on July 9. The Philippine Stock Exchange Index gained a third day, posting a weekly advance.

“The peso’s stronger opening relates to expected improvement in equities,” said Lito Biacora, vice president for treasury at Bank of the Philippine Islands in Manila.

Commodities Climb

Malaysia’s ringgit rose this week on speculation export earnings will improve as prices of crude oil and palm oil climb. The commodities together accounted for 10 percent of Malaysia’s overseas sales in the first four months of this year, government statistics showed. The Kuala Lumpur Composite Index of stocks advanced 1.4 percent this week.

“The ringgit is benefiting from the risk-appetite rally in stocks,” said Tan Voon Ching, a currency trader at OSK Investment Bank Bhd. in Kuala Lumpur. “Higher commodity prices may be a sign of a better recovery outlook but the question remains whether the trend is sustainable.”

The ringgit climbed 0.1 percent this week to 3.5335 in Kuala Lumpur, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. It earlier reached 3.5255, the strongest level since June 18.

Crude oil has risen almost 60 percent this year, while palm oil has climbed about 39 percent.

Elsewhere, the Korean won fell 1.2 percent this week to 1,284.25 and Taiwan’s dollar dropped 0.1 percent to NT$32.925 against the U.S. currency. The Vietnamese dong was barely changed at 17,802 and Singapore’s dollar was little changed at S$1.4542.

To contact the reporters on this story: Lilian Karunungan in Singapore at lkarunungan@bloomberg.net.

Last Updated: June 26, 2009 18:10 EDT

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » July 2, 2009, 1:28 pm

33.94 at the cute pink ATM machine 12:30

SCB showing 33.93

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » July 14, 2009, 12:01 am

JimboPSM wrote:Following various comments about how the USD/THB was perceived to move over a month end I decided to produce a chart to try and show pictorially exactly what happened over the last month end....

..... The red "dots" show each of the official rates on each day and the horizontal(ish) blue lines connect between the closing rate of one business day and the opening rate of the next business day....

..... However a statistical sample of only one month end is not exactly conclusive evidence and as such should be treated with a degree of caution before using it as the basis to decide on a definitive course of action :-k
Out of academic interest I carried on with collecting data to see how the end of June looked in comparison to May and updated the chart accordingly.

The statistical sample now covers all of two month ends - with data from two month ends the evidence for the hypothesis that the USD always falls at the end/start of the month looks less compelling as the USD actually rose against the THB (albeit only by a small amount) on the first working day of July.

The data was obtained from Kasikorn (the other major Thai banks I have checked are virtually identical).

Daily rate changes in Thailand from 18th May to 13th July 2009
USD-THB - Daily Changes MEJun09.JPG
USD-THB - Daily Changes MEJun09.JPG (93.91 KiB) Viewed 1420 times

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 4, 2009, 7:24 am

after reading many threads about the baht I come realize my prediction as well as my dream about the baht crashing & burning will not happen in my life time. I will never recover what I lost in the exchange rate I can say this with out any reservations I bought a truck for 620000 baht but I paid more than 1 million in the exchange rate it tough lessen to learn but I can say this I will never buy a high price item
in Thailand ever again and August of 2010 if I am still alive and healthy I will leave Thailand unless they weaken the baht to 37. I will go were they love & accept as well as dispense the USD and that looks like Cambodia this way it eliminates the exchange rate all you have to pay is the ATM rates which could be nothing to about 5 USD. on another note Tarissa will not bend to weaken the baht no matter how many exporters complain about the strength of the baht. so my only hope is the USD get so strong that they have to weaken it

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 4, 2009, 8:53 am

Ron, the baht weakened last week, though maybe not against the (weakening) dollar.

The pound has been doing very well recently against the baht.

So maybe you should be blaming it on the dollar, - perhaps it's an American conspiracy rather than a baht conspiracy !!! :roll:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 4, 2009, 9:50 am

Yeah ! Ronnie, The Baht is DOWN to 57 Today against the pound, Last Week it was 54 Something,So The Baht is starting to Fall,Maybe 60 in the near future,Now THAT'S More like it !! :D :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 4, 2009, 9:54 am

arjay wrote:Ron, the baht weakened last week, though maybe not against the (weakening) dollar.

The pound has been doing very well recently against the baht.

So maybe you should be blaming it on the dollar, - perhaps it's an American conspiracy rather than a baht conspiracy !!! :roll:
:lol: On the money,IMO :cry:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 4, 2009, 10:15 am

well the market is bouncing back in the USA maybe it will help the USD I sure hope so

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 4, 2009, 8:43 pm

I got email today from a friend he sent me editorial on the baht Tarissa claimed I quote her in her statement that USD has fallen against all S/E Asian countries so I did some research and guess what the USD is stronger against all of them since last year here are the country I check out Indonesia Malaysia
Vietnam Cambodia Philippines so who pulling who chain it very easy to make up stories to tell people
who are complaining about the strength of the baht hurting there export business like I said in my previous post I don't see any relief for us they are going to hammer away until we leave or die or forced out

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » August 4, 2009, 10:08 pm

58 Baht to 1 Pound now......Getting BETTER !!! :D :D :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 5, 2009, 8:14 am

747 only because the GPB is doing better against the USD / some how when the dollar get stronger the thai baht stands still but it the USD get weaker the Thai baht get stronger some how that picture does not make sense to me or am I reading to much in to this crap

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 5, 2009, 8:38 am

aznyron wrote:747 only because the GPB is doing better against the USD / some how when the dollar get stronger the thai baht stands still but it the USD get weaker the Thai baht get stronger some how that picture does not make sense to me or am I reading to much in to this crap
Ron. As most economist seem to put the pounds true worth against the dollar at 1.75. The current gain in the pound against it should I feel ,be more correctly attributed to the dollars weakness rather than the pounds strength. Thats how I read it anyway.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » August 5, 2009, 9:19 am

Last I visited Europe, the Pound was a bit over $2.00, oops carbon dating again.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 5, 2009, 10:17 am

Excluding the movements of the USD against the THB (which are a law to themselves), the increase in the value of the USD that took place from July 2008 to March2009 was primarily due to the “flight to safety” that occurred in the currency markets all over the world as economies went into meltdown.

The decrease in the value of the USD that has occurred since March 2009 is primarily due to the partial unwinding of the “flight to safety” that occurred above.

There are a number of other factors involved, but collectively (in my opinion) they are relatively insignificant as, when taken together, they have not affected the longer term comparative market outlook of the different currencies.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » August 11, 2009, 7:55 am

Update to the chart showing all the rate changes each day, this now includes three month ends.

The only month end which showed a marked fall in the USD (or rise in THB) was the beginning of June, movements for both July and August were insignificant.

It may be that there has been a shift in policy, but the last couple of months do not show any marked variation in the exchange rate at the beginning of a month.

Daily rate changes in Thailand from 18th May to 10th August 2009
USD-THB - Daily Changes MEJul09.jpg
USD-THB - Daily Changes MEJul09.jpg (125.61 KiB) Viewed 1287 times
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » August 11, 2009, 12:54 pm

After bringing paper currency into Thailand does anyone ever exchange their foreign currency with local Thai businessmen instead of Thai banks? This would be to realize a better rate and receive more baht.

I've heard that Thai banks commonly exchange currencies with local Thais to get more than they would with their posted exchange rates.

I have exchanged dollars at a store (on busy Walking Street) that had posted an exchange rate in their window that was better than that offered at the banks that day. Nothing was purchased. Others were exchanging currency in the store. IMO Thai businesses posting private exchange rates in windows are likely breaking some law.

Occasionaly the manager of one of my favorite bars will exchange a few hundred dollars from me for baht at a rate better than the local bank rates. It is not in Udon Thani and he is likely doing some petty speculation.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 28, 2009, 5:57 pm

Not a lot of change in the last ninety days or so. :pirate:

Average Rates
January
34.9117 THB (21 days average)
February
35.3221 THB (20 days average)
March
35.7708 THB (22 days average)
April
35.4476 THB (22 days average)
May
34.6437 THB (21 days average)
June
34.1341 THB (22 days average)
July
34.0507 THB (23 days average)
August
34.0239 THB (19 days average)

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 28, 2009, 7:26 pm

Thanks Bumper. Not as purty a picture as Jimbo paints with his graphs in color but the results are the same. Wonder what Ronnie is thinking about this downward trend? :-k

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 28, 2009, 8:01 pm

Yeah, I notice that it is actually 33.8 on the front page (Bangkok Bank) rate today...Being UK & so a bit parochial I should be delighted at this trend (with apologies to my American cousins) but I see that the GBP is down to 55 to the baht again - it was 56 + earlier in the month...I am starting to feel a "Ronnie" moment coming on - but, joking aside, it REALLY does make me wonder exactly why the TB should be strengthening against anything except maybe the Zimbabwean currency :( :(

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”