Gem / loose stone availability

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Gem / loose stone availability

Post by JesusDominga » January 12, 2010, 3:29 pm

Que pasa,

New to this forum, and would appreciate any insight to gem / jewelry shops, if any in UT, as I haven’t noticed, just the usual gold shops. I’ve asked at gold shops, even the few having offerings of such, and either not here, or not offering any assistance. My preference would be loose stones, as I am a dealer/professional. Thank you for any feedback. Usually ge them and visa from Cambodia side, but seem to be here more often, but nothing seems available as in Chantaburi. Thanks.

JD

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: Gem / loose stone availability

Post by BobHelm » January 12, 2010, 4:07 pm

It is not something that I have seen in Udon. Have seen in the markets in Vientiane, but have no idea what the law is for importation into Thailand. It is a common occurrence in & around Chang Mai & the North, just not in the North East.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 12, 2010, 5:36 pm

Um, sounds an od request from an alleged dealer, who does not seem tobe aware of any rules or laws regarding importation.
My advice to you sir, look and ye shall find, there are one or two in udon, but you need to know who they are. I am not about to impart that knowledge to an anonymous person who posts a question which I feel you should be able to find out for oneself.

if i seem award so be it, but I am wary of people seeking info on potential importation irregularities.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » January 12, 2010, 6:48 pm

Suppose it really depends on what stones you are looking for . If its sapphires, ruby or jet then I recommend a trip to Boi Ploi near Kanchanaburi. The sapphires and jet (NIM) are mined locally and the rubies are brought over from Burma. As a dealer you should know what your doing but there are many fakes floating about as well as a lot of heat treated stones to improve the coloration. A debatable issue whether this is a good or bad thing. Other than these three most others originate from elsewhere and are imported so normally not of very high quality and certainly not cheap .Of course if your really looking for a bargain there are many vendors on the beach in Pattaya who will be only too happy to show you whats in their tobacco tin . :lol: :lol:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 12, 2010, 8:24 pm

Khun Paul wrote:Um, sounds an od request from an alleged dealer, who does not seem tobe aware of any rules or laws regarding importation.
My advice to you sir, look and ye shall find, there are one or two in udon, but you need to know who they are. I am not about to impart that knowledge to an anonymous person who posts a question which I feel you should be able to find out for oneself.

if i seem award so be it, but I am wary of people seeking info on potential importation irregularities.
What a strange response.

Where does the OP talk about importation, and/or irregularities?

Look and ye shall find - what?

:-k :-k :-k

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » January 13, 2010, 1:16 am

try the Maesai area, chiangrai thailand

stoneman
udonmap.com

Post by stoneman » January 13, 2010, 1:16 pm

If he is a real gem dealer, then he should know that the only place in Thailand to get finished stones in quantity is Bangkok...The other areas mentioned are mining and cutting areas...There are 3 - 20 to 30 story buildings in BKK that are full of stone dealers...add to that, all the dealers in the buildings within a 10 block radius and you have the center of the Thai stone business...Udon is not the Gem Capital of Thailand...

I have been in the jewelry business for almost 40 years and have owned a jewelry company in BKK for over 5 years...

Stoneman

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » January 13, 2010, 2:46 pm

That was interesting, thanks BH for confirming what I suspected, and also saw some in Laos, though they were in tourist areas and no bargain. No surprises really, as they don’t really produce nearly as much as Cambodia or Burma.

Thanks TB, have that area on my radar, might hit it this trip since still plenty of time on visa. Agree with you, about the heated ones, some look stunning especially if have the ‘star’ is a must. Easily made and should be cheaper. Have a couple different scopes I travel with, will always be the land of scams, but that’s more a negative toward the people allowing themselves to be scammed. Some of the best deals past Chantaburi area, which seems to be the transfer point for Cambodian stones, was with a couple ‘gem scam’ shops in Bkk. They dealt with you fairly once knowing you didn’t come from the Grand Palace by their tuk tuk. As long as it is represented honestly, I have no problems with them overcharging tourist, though do have a problem w/powers to be, after getting excise tariff, then wanting tea money. Not good for business here and after a couple times, makes it hard for one to conform to system when they don’t play fair.

Which brings us to the funniest post I’ve read in a long time, thanks KP, I needed an afternoon chuckle, though you may want to invest in a spell checker and dictionary. Though you definitely get the ‘award’ for most paranoid, condescending, criminal accusing, unhelpful top secret post. Hope that flag doesn’t signify English as your primary language, as it isn’t mine, but I seem to manage. I thought of driving all over the northeast looking for shops I didn’t expect to find. Much easier than simply asking the local community that has lived here for years, and even longer considering the extended families who may of pointed someone in the correct direction, when asked where to find something. As since wholesale, wouldn’t expect to find on high rent main street. But I’ll keep looking, maybe I’ll find ‘Mr Ed’ tied up somewhere, maybe at that top secret school in Sri Chiang Rai :-$ :-$ . Hope you’re not this helpful to all new posters, anonymous people, or do you know the other 10,000 members personally.

JS, thanks, confirms I wasn’t doing LSD, as I had to re-read my original post to see how he deducted all that. Think he needs to work on comprehension abilities and people skills. Didn’t realize I was an international jewel smuggler, maybe I should write a book, this post is turning into one.

SM, was hoping you’d pop in, almost stole your avatar :D :D . Yes I am, and yes I do know about that area, huge offerings. Though been lucky in small spots also.

Thanks again to those assisting, appreciate it very much.

JD

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » January 13, 2010, 6:39 pm

As you know, one of the major semi-precious stone areas is Chantaburi in the SE. They have a gem festival in early June. The stones are not from the area and if you don't know the trade you will probably not do well. But if you do, there are bargains to be had. Many of the dealers are Christian Vietnamese refugees who fled during times when Christians were being persecuted.

I haven't been there since 2002, but I expect things have only become more organized and more difficult to find good natural stones, but then again, natural stones are now a small part of the market.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 13, 2010, 8:59 pm

Which brings us to the funniest post I’ve read in a long time
One aims to please, glad you found out the info, oh by the way if i want to use a spellchecker I will, I do not need anyone to advise me, thanks all the same, oh by the way I hae known of people using info gained for spurious activities, one cannot be too careful here as the authorites to tend to glean info themselves by posting innocuous questions.
Not unheard of in England and the USA either, paranoid I may be but I am not stupid, but then as always that is a matter of opinion.
As for my main language, it is unfortunately English but then you knew that didn't you. I take it you are always so insulting to people, I was not insulting just being open and honest in not trusting a person asking a question that may have been something other than it was.

As for being helpful, obviously I was not to you, for that I am so sorry, that you felt obliged to launch into a tirade. Your English is passable, as for my comprehension abilities, they can be when I want to be excellent.
The fact you have the audacity to belittle me is just amazing, but then as you so rightly say you are not English which in itself speaks volumes.

Good day to you.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 13, 2010, 9:22 pm

Sometimes silence is golden :D

What was it Abe Lincoln said :-k

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » January 15, 2010, 4:46 pm

'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865), (attributed)

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » January 16, 2010, 6:02 am

there are two jewellers in Udon central that I know of, where I have sat and watched guys making jewellery and setting stones. whether they can assist you is another story, and is up to you to find out..

one place is along from the city library, on the same side of the road, heading towards the university. It is a small place, but you can pick your stones and have them set, or have them design something for you.

the other jewellers is in a side street off Phosri Road. there is a set of traffic lights halfway down, and the street is opposite a medium sized alcohol shop on Phosri Road, and on the opposite corner is a huge tv/appliance store, set alittle back from the pavement..if you walk down that narrow street on the right hand side, you will come across a small doorway, and thru the doorway you will see a couple of guys sitting at benchs working with stones and jewellery....

ideally the place you want to go, if you are a dealer /professional, is Merqui in southern Burma

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » January 16, 2010, 4:06 pm

maaka, Thank you very much maaka. :D

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » January 28, 2010, 12:49 pm

Woody from another thread, responding to comments
yeah all the guys that have said positive things are on the payroll
Khun paul from same thread, regarding insinuation from comment.
one should be careful what you say about people unless of course you are personal friends with everyone and they know your sense of humour, I am not too happy about your insinuation at best kindly refrain form such comments in the future.

Seems like the pot calling the kettle black, may I use your response to respond to your insinuation of my assumed intent of criminal activity….. [-X \:D/ \:D/ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » February 17, 2010, 4:54 pm

Thanks again for the help, just back from Kanchanaburi, and was pretty much what I expected, bit touristy for any real bargains, and didn't really care to search that deep. So I'll be sticking with Chantaburi, and BKK, though I hate the big city, big surprise, since from Mexico City area, not too many bigger, tires me out.

But nice relaxing time in Kanchanaburi and area.

THANKS AGAIN :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 21, 2010, 7:00 pm

This Thread Has Been A Real Gem....thanks.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » February 21, 2010, 8:05 pm

It sure has, BM.
My good friend in, Madagascar, lives and has connections with all the mines and polishers on the Island for years now and sells a great variety of stones by the thousands internationally, some crystals five feet tall, and other unbelievable heavy weight stuff.
Gathering from the original post, this fella wasn't into stepping up to the big plate, but since you stuck yours into it, Mr, Cool BM, thought I would too.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”