Air Asia - New Cabin Baggage Rules

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 10, 2013, 2:22 am

GARYZX6R wrote:Just booked a flight to Bangkok with AA. They charged 640bht to pay by credit card or debit card ! Still the flight in total was just over 1000 bht with everything included, one way so still cheap.
In that case one can drive to the airport and pay cash for the flight and save the 640 baht credit card usage fee; however, the checked baggage charge is 40% more since you're not booking online. Might save a few baht that way, but then there's the cost and hassle of making an extra trip to the airport, so probably better off to bite the bullet and pay online. The best options are not to pay the online fee for choosing a seating assignment since it's more cost effective to simply check in early and get a good seat assignment at the terminal, and then pay online through a cost free direct debit to your Siam Commercial Bank account if you have one.

Air Asia is by far cheaper than the other flight options out there, but you can still save a bundle by knowing how to navigate all the schemes on their website that trap you into spending extra money unnecessarily. I like Asia Air, but I hate their online trickery! Happy flying!

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » June 10, 2013, 6:18 am

Everything seems to be a "scheme" or "trap."

It's pretty common in every business to offer customers an added convenience in return for a price. I don't consider them to be schemes and traps. :lol: My friends and I just prefer to put the decision on us rather than focus in on what dastardly thing a company has done to try to fool us (we actually never look at it that way). We call it "shopping for the better value and then making a choice."

I guess this is just another case of the glass being half full or half empty. :roll:

Someone could also save a ton of money by only bringing a carry-on toiletry kit, sleeping under bus stops in BKK and washing up in the mornings at PTT. Gotta avoid those schemes and traps at the hotels and with those sinister taxi drivers (neither of which I have ever had the slightest problem).

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 10, 2013, 12:47 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:Everything seems to be a "scheme" or "trap."

It's pretty common in every business to offer customers an added convenience in return for a price. I don't consider them to be schemes and traps. :lol: My friends and I just prefer to put the decision on us rather than focus in on what dastardly thing a company has done to try to fool us (we actually never look at it that way). We call it "shopping for the better value and then making a choice."

I guess this is just another case of the glass being half full or half empty. :roll:

Someone could also save a ton of money by only bringing a carry-on toiletry kit, sleeping under bus stops in BKK and washing up in the mornings at PTT. Gotta avoid those schemes and traps at the hotels and with those sinister taxi drivers (neither of which I have ever had the slightest problem).

Is the glass half empty or half full?
is a common expression, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for optimism (half full) or pessimism (half empty), or as a general litmus test to simply determine an individual's worldview. The purpose of the question is to demonstrate that the situation may be seen in different ways depending on one's point of view and that there may be opportunity in the situation as well as trouble.

This idiom is used to explain how people perceive events and objects. Perception is unique to every individual and is simply one's interpretation of reality. The phrase "Is the glass half empty or half full" can be referred to as a philosophical question.

The eternal optimist is certainly entitled to his worldview, and if that works for him then more power to him. My guess is that most people, if they were being honest, have a half empty or pessimistic worldview. It's generally the younger and inexperienced crowd that sees the world through rose-colored glasses. Men that have traveled the world and have been overly exposed to all facets of life and it's pitfalls seem to be much less naive and more cautious, and they tend to be on the lookout for sharks while others are busy gazing at the scenery. They too are entitled to their worldview, and they're neither right nor wrong and certainly don't deserve to be denigrated for their philosophical beliefs. When I was a young whippersnapper I used to sleep with a copy of Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill under my pillow. Having a positive mental attitude doesn't preclude the fact that the world is full of unsuspecting rip-off artists at every turn in the road from politicians to airlines to taxi drivers, and the list is endless. Thinking positive doesn't make all that go away, and a good dose of pessimism tends to give one a nice balance in life and helps to cushion the fall when it comes. The idea that "positive suggestions to the subconscious mind are transformed into a physical equivalency" is at best sheer myth and a dangerous road to go down.

Having said all that, the first time I attempted to navigate the Air Asia website it took me a good hour to figure out how to get myself out of all the "default" traps to spend money unnecessarily. For example: reading the instructions one is led to believe that unless an advance seating selection is taken for an extra charge, then the customer could be separated from a traveling companion. That makes sense to me, but they should also have said that seating is available at check-in, and they have no business playing on my worst travelling fears. I personally like things either black or white, and not gray, and I never like to be put in a situation to assume anything. I learned a long time ago that when one assumes he "makes an ASS out of U and ME"! I like the idea that Asia Air is giving me choices so that I can be a discerning traveler, but I would prefer that they be based on credible and sufficient information so that I can make an informed decision on what is best for ME and not Air Asia. To give Air Asia the benefit of the doubt one could conclude that their website programmers have simply designed a site that is well above the ability of the average consumer/computer user to adequately comprehend...not user friendly. I prefer to believe that they have purposely designed it that way to take advantage of unsuspecting consumers who are not your average computer geeks in order to increase their bottom line. In my business career I have been involved with multinational companies whose undisclosed business model was to do exactly that...ON PURPOSE! For that and many other reasons I choose to see the glass as "half empty". It's my worldview and I'm sticking to it!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » June 10, 2013, 1:09 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Is the glass half empty or half full? is a common expression, used rhetorically to indicate that a particular situation could be a cause for optimism (half full) or pessimism (half empty), or as a general litmus test to simply determine an individual's worldview. The purpose of the question is to demonstrate that the situation may be seen in different ways depending on one's point of view and that there may be opportunity in the situation as well as trouble.

This idiom is used to explain how people perceive events and objects. Perception is unique to every individual and is simply one's interpretation of reality. The phrase "Is the glass half empty or half full" can be referred to as a philosophical question.
Yes, and your perceptions rarely assume anything other than someone out to get you -- dentists, doctors, shop keepers, police, bank tellers, bank safe deposit boxes, your son's boss, restaurants, hospitals, and pretty much Thais in general. Now it's airlines and their web sites with traps and schemes. That's your perception.

My perception is completely different. Am I naïve? Not at all. Do I view the world through rose-colored glasses? Hardly. I don't ignore red flags or danger and act as if they don't exist. I act on them. But I don't see a sinister Thai wanting all my money behind every customer counter. My experiences here in Udon and in Thailand, thankfully, are completely different than yours.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 10, 2013, 2:04 pm

Semperfiguy 1 WBU Alum. 1. =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/ :D :D :lol: :lol:

Moderators to advise Forum Members of next thread title, and startng date, designated for the return leg!
:-" :roll: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 10, 2013, 8:27 pm

Now now Matty put yer 'andbag down ....two's enough for one thread. No need for you to get involved :-# ,

Brilliant One
udonmap.com

Post by Brilliant One » June 10, 2013, 10:57 pm

I recently flew in from Australia to Suvarnabhumi (JetStar A$503) and got an Air Asia flight the next day from Don Muang to Krabi.
I didn't book a return flight from Krabi because I wasn't sure how long we would stay, e.g. bad weather etc.
I ended up staying 12 nights. (I was also dreading the houseful of family and relatives, and 2 dogs, waiting for me in Udon haha).
My big surprise when booking the return flights from Krabi to BKK to Udon was that Thai Smiles was slightly cheaper than Air Asia. This was last Saturday.
I wasn't concerned with the small cost saving, but I was able to check my baggage straight through from Krabi to Udon, and Thai Airways are more generous when you are a few kilos over the 20kg limit. Also, I was able to get my Royal Orchid Points. I think Air Asia is going to have to lift it's game.
You definitely have to watch out for their add-on costs for seat selection, credit card surcharge, snacks etc. but this is the case with all the budget airlines. (They have to make their money somewhere).
I don't think it's a glass half full or empty (optimistic / pessimistic) attitude. I just think it gets back to just about every purchasing decision we make, it's a matter of caveat emptor ("let the buyer beware") In future I'll be keeping an eye on what Thai Airways has to offer, before booking with the so-called cheaper airlines.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 11, 2013, 9:20 am

Brilliant One wrote: My big surprise when booking the return flights from Krabi to BKK to Udon was that Thai Smiles was slightly cheaper than Air Asia. This was last Saturday.
I wasn't concerned with the small cost saving, but I was able to check my baggage straight through from Krabi to Udon, and Thai Airways are more generous when you are a few kilos over the 20kg limit. Also, I was able to get my Royal Orchid Points. I think Air Asia is going to have to lift it's game.
You definitely have to watch out for their add-on costs for seat selection, credit card surcharge, snacks etc. but this is the case with all the budget airlines. (They have to make their money somewhere).

In future I'll be keeping an eye on what Thai Airways has to offer, before booking with the so-called cheaper airlines.
There, another unbiased informative post about Aircrapasia. Brilliant One, did you also notice that your Thai smiles flight was on time and they don't employ ladyboys or homos?

OT................. \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 11, 2013, 9:40 am

old-timer wrote: There, another unbiased informative post about Aircrapasia. Brilliant One, did you also notice that your Thai smiles flight was on time and they don't employ ladyboys or homos?

OT................. \:D/
I have flown with both AA and ThaiSmile recently, and in contrast to OT's prurience, I had no interest in the gender or sexual preferences of the flight attendants. :D

Brilliant One
udonmap.com

Post by Brilliant One » June 11, 2013, 9:54 am

OT ... Thai Smiles was pretty much on time. The flight attendants were very attractive young women (I presume).
I nearly missed a flight to Melbourne a couple of years ago because Air Asia was 3 hours late arriving and leaving Udon, however they did make up somewhat by offloading my baggage first and rushing me by mini-bus to meet the connection. These are hassles that I like to avoid if at all possible. Not a pleasant way to travel.

Brilliant One
udonmap.com

Post by Brilliant One » June 12, 2013, 6:37 pm

Nice surprise today. I looked online for Thai Airways next week from Udon to BKK. Best price 2090B
I was picking up a relative arriving in Udon today, so I thought I would buy the ticket at the airport instead of using my credit card online. I asked the guy can you match the internet price. He said "No - it's cheaper". Paid 1670B no changes, no refunds etc. Came away feeling like a "cat that's licked the cream" haha.

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » June 18, 2013, 4:17 pm

747man wrote:Parrot, Were the hosties dancing to the music, Whilst serving ??
You're probably waiting for Cebu Pacific to start serving UTH. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqh8e2KYIrU.

I don't find Air Asia's website deceptive. The information we need to make decisions is all on the screen in front of us. What we do need to do is spend the time reading it. Perhaps we're just to accustomed to having others decide what's important and then having it spoon fed to us.

Return to “Travel & Transport”