Lemon Trees

General Udon Thani topics only!
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 7, 2006, 4:05 pm

can't see no problem growing lemon trees, maybe try the garden center on the main road to nong kai in udon they seem to have an abundance of allsorts.If you look hard enough i bet there are a few trees growing wild in a few places along with chillies and limes. mixing lemon+lime seeds could be interesting.

Can You Dig It Dug.?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » February 7, 2006, 9:12 pm

Starting with the seeds of the fruit locally is a good starting point. If imported fruit it could be a problem only if they were nuked to kill bugs. sometime this kills the seed, sometimes not. :shock:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 7, 2006, 9:41 pm

Good Idea I hadn't thought of that place and that is where we bought our grass.

If not I will take Val's suggestion, I'm fairly sure that fruit for commercial sale is treated and I'm not sure you would have much luck with that.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 7, 2006, 10:52 pm

yes my grass also came from there,good quality and nice people.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » February 8, 2006, 10:55 am

If imported, the Meyer lemon may be the favorite.

Long a favorite of restaurant chefs, the Meyer lemon has made its way across the country from California groves. These lemons have such a pure, clear lemon taste that they are often called the "true" lemon.

Although their true origin has never been established, Meyer lemons are most likely a cross between a lemon and a mandarin orange. This would account for their characteristic sweet and less-acidic taste, rounded orange shape, golden orange flesh and hint of orange flavor.

Meyer lemons are quite juicy and an average lemon will yield at least 1/4 cup of juice. If you hold one of the lemons in your hand and give it a slight squeeze, you can feel the juice through its thin skin.
http://www.washingtontimes.com/food/200 ... -1099r.htm

valentine

Post by valentine » February 8, 2006, 11:13 am

Ray, just for information. My tree which is growing in a glasshouse in the UK, was planted from a seed obtained from a fruit purchased in Tesco just over 4 years ago. This year it had its most abundant crop of 20 mature lemons, some fell off in the developement stage, but I attributed that to the closed enviroment of being in a glass house. The fruit sold in UK is normally treated in a process described as waxing. This is purely a cosmetic treatment that helps the fruit to retain its freshly picked appearance and has no effect on the contents.You can also use the pith without harm when making cakes or jam.
My previous offer still applies, just let me know. :)

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 9, 2006, 1:16 pm

Val I'm going to accept your offer, my thoughts are that I couldn't be the only one who wants some real lemons, so I will grow the seedlings and give them to people who want them. That is if I don't kill them. I have two thumbs bit niether are green :lol:

valentine

Post by valentine » February 10, 2006, 2:12 pm

ray23 wrote:Val I'm going to accept your offer, my thoughts are that I couldn't be the only one who wants some real lemons, so I will grow the seedlings and give them to people who want them. That is if I don't kill them. I have two thumbs bit niether are green :lol:
Picked and drying will soon be on their way, but remember, like humans, they are not self pollinating so you'll have to grow at least two. :lol:

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 10, 2006, 7:27 pm

Based on my kill ratio I think I will grow them all I assume you start them in pots? :?

valentine

Post by valentine » February 10, 2006, 7:36 pm

Better in those little black plastic bags, easier to remove when repotting, just cut the side they come out without disturbing the roots.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » February 10, 2006, 7:41 pm

Thanks I would never have thought of that

trubrit
udonmap.com

Lemon Trees

Post by trubrit » October 12, 2011, 2:58 pm

Just an update on this topic. My tree has been in 5 years now, producing beautiful full size lemons. Full of juice, ideal for squash or the occasional G&T. Last year it produced about 20 kilos, this year though , presumably because of all the rain, I estimate the crop to be in excess of that . All the neighbours have been taking away bag fulls. My wife has made gallons of lemon juice and still the tree is full with many falling to the ground to rot. So if your in the neighbour hood pop in and pick your own , gratis of course .
thai house 023.jpg
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

udonviking
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by udonviking » November 19, 2013, 4:22 pm

Hi Folks,

I am searching for a lemon tree for my garden. I have been looking for a while and so far no results. Anyone knows where I can buy a lemon tree in Udon or in Isaan? Even a cutting would be very interesting.

Thanks a lot :lol:

parrot
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by parrot » November 19, 2013, 4:31 pm

Tungsrimeuang has an annual fair in early December.......around Tungsrimeuang. Loads of plant vendors.....one who surely will have a lemon tree. You might want to bring a photo along (showing the difference between a lemon and a lime) so the vendor understands exactly what you're looking for.
By the way, growers in our area are going crazy with a new variety of lime that produces plump juicy limes. They're betting on reaping profits when lime prices skyrocket each year.....usually around March/April.
If you're in the neighborhood of Kilo 16-17, on the way to Nongwahsaw, just off the left hand side, there's a grower there who's specializing in this particular variety of lime. You may be able to get cuttings from him......or an idea where you can buy your own.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by mortiboy » November 19, 2013, 4:33 pm

udonviking wrote:Hi Folks,

I am searching for a lemon tree for my garden. I have been looking for a while and so far no results. Anyone knows where I can buy a lemon tree in Udon or in Isaan? Even a cutting would be very interesting.

Thanks a lot :lol:
Here you go.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMwADXEK0pQ
Mai mee tahng !

udonviking
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by udonviking » November 19, 2013, 4:41 pm

parrot wrote:Tungsrimeuang has an annual fair in early December.......around Tungsrimeuang. Loads of plant vendors.....one who surely will have a lemon tree.
Thanks a lot; I have thought about Tungsrimuang and if I am lucky I might find a lemon tree there. The problem with Tungsrimuang is that they are so keen to sell so they will sell you any plant as a lemon tree, just to make some extra thb. I speak of experience ;)

udonviking
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by udonviking » November 19, 2013, 4:44 pm

I found this place on the net. They are in the Bangkok area, so this could be an option if I don't find any seller closer to Udon. http://www.nanagarden.com/%E0%B8%A1%E0% ... 003-4.html

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by BobHelm » November 19, 2013, 5:04 pm

Macca
udonmap.com

Lemon tree

Post by Macca » November 19, 2013, 5:39 pm

If you head out of town on the A2 towards Khon Kean there are a few places on the left side, just after Mitubushi showroom, selling plants.
I know someone who bought lemon tress from there about a month ago, not sure how much though.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Lemon Trees

Post by trubrit » November 19, 2013, 5:40 pm

Here we are three years later. Picked over 50kgs already and about that much on the bush again, this year.
IMG_7315.JPG
IMG_7318.JPG
The Thai's don't use lemons very much , preferring the smaller lime for their somtum etc. So apart from my G&T , a few on my morning pancakes and in my tea we give the rest away.I had two bushes but the wind knocked one down, so I grafted a cutting onto this one . It worked very well, as you can see .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”