US ex-servicemen watering hole in Udon - Edited version.

General Udon Thani topics only!
jepp
udonmap.com

US ex-servicemen watering hole in Udon - Edited version.

Post by jepp » January 3, 2009, 9:50 am

Greetings, I'll soon be visiting Bangkok and UT soon and am ex Australian Navy. Served in USA and US base Aust. too. Interested to know if special place that US ex-servicemen drink at in Bangkok & UT? I Will try Washington Square in Bkk unless redirected.

bumper
udonmap.com

Re: US ex-servicemen watering hole?

Post by bumper » January 3, 2009, 8:47 pm

Well there is a VFW here, I don't think there is any particular bar in Udon where guys drink. The only thing that comes to mind might be Harry;s bar. If nothing else harry is good to have a caht with.

Google VFW Udon and yuo should find it

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » January 3, 2009, 9:54 pm

, Dear Jepp,
If you cannot find a suitable drinking bar, please come over to Jingjoes Bar in Udon, up near Big C and Makro. It is Australian owned and run by an Aussie and no girl hassles. We have apartments and some of the residents and locals are ex armed services.

It is purely a drinkers bar and there are no take-aways, and we have a good chef in the kitchen. Just follow the yellow and black kangaroo road signs or check the map on Udon map.

As mentioned Harrys Bar on the ringroad is a pleasant bar also to drink in and Harry is a nice bloke.

I hope this can help you.

Thanks, Tik.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » January 4, 2009, 8:42 am

After I googled and looked at the forum threads I'm sure there is no U.S. VFW building where you might meet a few ex-military types for a chat and a few beers. Believe when the VFW holds their 4th of July festivals a few hundred show up though wives and assorted family outnumber VFW members. There is a core of potential Americans that might want to mix ocasionally.

Too bad that some hotel, restaurant or bar, TJs for instance, couldn't be persuaded to decorate a large party room with some of the trappngs of an EM Club with the expectation of expanding their local customer base. Perhaps the VFW group has already tried this approach.

I believe the point is that American ex-military types would like to have a place where they are likly to meet the same and have something in common to chat about. I'm ex-Army myself.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » January 4, 2009, 8:51 am

if you show up at the night market get together the first Saturday of the month you will meet a lot of fine Gents with there wives who mostly come from the UK & USA and I believe every one is a ex servicemen
some from the Vietnam war era and later I know of a few who are retired military and show up regular
so you should not have any problems meeting them sadly you might be surprised that most of us aged
over the years and our memories are not what they use to be but I am sure you will find us entertaining
Happy New Year

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » January 4, 2009, 9:31 am

Absoultely correct as to buildings, it has been tried and wasn't supported sufficiently.

They have monthly meetings and lunchs together. At oen time TJ's was the meeting spot, Harry's way anothe time. Chareon Hotel at a nother time. At the moment I don't know where they meet. I am member but I don't attend meetings

It is great idea but unfortunatley not enough support to make it a reality, no formal drinking spots whatsoever.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 4, 2009, 9:36 am

I'm retired USMC and been living here approximately 2yrs, I'm not sure if the OP had the VFW in mind but they meet on the 2nd Wed of each month in the Belle Italia restaurant.

There is/was a bar in Washington Square (forget the name) that is/was popular with ex-military. It used to be frequented by a few who served Laos during the Vietnam war. I haven't been there since the mid-90's so don't know if it still exist or remains a hangout for ex-military and there's nothing similar here in Udon. However, if it's of any interest the Le Camérone French restaurant in Udon claims to be the only foreign legion restaurant in town :D

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » January 4, 2009, 10:15 am

If anyone wishes to have a look at Jingjoes bar in Udon, you may find it suitable for your meetings. We have a main bar area with free pool table and next to the bar is a small room for dining etc and outside we have a covered thatch hut with tables and stools.

Next to the bar we have a block of vacant land for parking up too 10-15 cars, depends how you park the car. Please have a look at Udonmap website.

Thanks
Tik.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » January 4, 2009, 12:16 pm

It was mentioned on another thread that the Harley O'Toole bar was sold to American gentleman. Perhaps he might be interested in an American "watering hole" theme.

Now what advise could be given for designing an Americanized bar catering to aging, ex-military retirees? How does he go about populating this bar by attracting ex-military types?

This might be a tough call as no one seems to know of any such bar in Thailand.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 4, 2009, 12:55 pm

hmm, believe it is open for business already, haven't stopped in yet, plan to, Harley's that is. believe he is going with american theme. not sure if 'ex military type' would be the most profitable theme, as i try to forget, what little, and, i do mean very little experience in the military. as i also try to forget the rest of my working past, unless topical to the conversation. prefer to talk about now, family and each other, when needing a laugh. talking about past jobs, whether military or civilian, that sounds damn depressing. if the subject of work comes up, i hope i'm in a bar :guinness: :guinness:

jepp
udonmap.com

Post by jepp » January 4, 2009, 2:16 pm

Thanks for all of the posts, Probably I've forgotten most of the details about my service too, I just seem to have a good rapport with Poms, Kiwis, Yanks, etc. and especially with ex-service people. Having served with them, and bumped into them in bars o/seas and always found them to be characters. I spent a lot of my service in USA or with Americans and thought there would be some residing in UT.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 4, 2009, 2:33 pm

Try the Texas Lone Staar Saloon in Washington Square, Bangkok. Originated from the original Texxan Bar (Pat Landry and George Pipas) in Patpong in the early '80's. Moved to WS at that time under the proprietorship of George Pipas.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » January 4, 2009, 3:35 pm

Oh you will find plenty of characters in Udon, ex service or not. I doubt you will have any problem starting up a convesation in any of the places mentioned. so if that is the criteria plenty of places. By thw way I'm serioss it is not hard to meet other farrangs here. Everyone got a story of some kind. I'm working on a new one now. Bum, or hero have't made up my mind yet :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 4, 2009, 4:49 pm

mak wrote:Try the Texas Lone Staar Saloon in Washington Square, Bangkok. Originated from the original Texxan Bar (Pat Landry and George Pipas) in Patpong in the early '80's. Moved to WS at that time under the proprietorship of George Pipas.
Yup that's the one, I couldn't remember the name. Last visit there i was introduce to Pat Landry and some other characters of his time 8)

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » January 4, 2009, 9:24 pm

In Bangkok I would try the Bourbon Street its in Wash Square it's Yank Central. Doug the guy that owns it is a great guy and will have no problem pointing out some ex service guys for you to meet. The rooms for rent are also great thou it does not look it from the outside, the staff is the best in Thailand (central).

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » January 7, 2009, 12:23 pm

papaguido wrote:
mak wrote:Try the Texas Lone Staar Saloon in Washington Square, Bangkok. Originated from the original Texxan Bar (Pat Landry and George Pipas) in Patpong in the early '80's. Moved to WS at that time under the proprietorship of George Pipas.
Yup that's the one, I couldn't remember the name. Last visit there i was introduce to Pat Landry and some other characters of his time 8)
Was Tony Poe one of the other characters, Rito? George Pipas passed away last summer. Rumored for awhile that Washington Square area will be leveled and condos/high rises constructed there by the Indian landlords but the economic downturn may have breathed life back into the Square.

Madrid Bar in Patpong is another old hangout for ex-servicemen and Air America guys from the Vietnam era.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 7, 2009, 12:52 pm

Rumored for awhile that Washington Square area will be leveled and condos/high rises constructed there by the Indian landlords

Cavalry 1 - 1 Indians :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 7, 2009, 1:26 pm

polehawk wrote:
papaguido wrote:
Was Tony Poe one of the other characters, Rito? George Pipas passed away last summer. Rumored for awhile that Washington Square area will be leveled and condos/high rises constructed there by the Indian landlords but the economic downturn may have breathed life back into the Square.

Madrid Bar in Patpong is another old hangout for ex-servicemen and Air America guys from the Vietnam era.
No Tony P. I met here. The other characters were of AA & USAID that worked upcountry in Laos.

jepp
udonmap.com

Post by jepp » January 11, 2009, 9:29 pm

Thanks for all of the info, I am studying a small map, with bad eyes, so can someone offer map references and/or address for: Jingjoes bar, Harley O'Toole bar, and the Big C ....... Please?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 11, 2009, 10:23 pm

wow, i thought my reading eyes were bad..... :D ok, big C is easy, prosi rd (AEK Udon hosp on it) and the ring road, on right hand side, on the way out of town to sakon nakhon just before red light at ring road is u-turn, jingjoes is on a soi of the same side as big c, prosi rd going back into town, easy to find, follow the kangeroo signs. i think past makro, start looking, but before the first red light. harley o tool bar is almost across the street from irish clock. same street as nobi's DN, orange moon, top mansion, runs parallel to chareonski shopping mall toward train station, first left. if you past mr tong's or 7-11 at red light, u-turn, you missed it.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”