Info on Udon Thani

General Udon Thani topics only!
Richardg

Info on Udon Thani

Post by Richardg » February 12, 2009, 6:33 pm

hello Gentlemen,

I just joined this forum seeking info on living and settling in Udon.

Having lived in Jomtien/Pattaya some time back I'm now in the Uk, living with my Thai Wife and two kids. One born Thailand and one born in the UK.

Nearly three years we have been here and...I hate the grind and the life. I am now trying to convince my Wife (yes) to return to Thailand.
As we have a Family I feel that places like Pattaya are out of the question. I have been looking at Chaing Mai or Udon.

We would be interested in starting some sort of business, and of course a decent private school is very important as my Son would be starting school next year.

Any advice on Udon, living in Udon or business or property prices would be most welcome.

Thank you

laphanphon

Re: Info on Udon

Post by laphanphon » February 12, 2009, 7:41 pm

business, can't help you with, take retirement serious, so can't comment, though many think, and i agree, there are too many bars here already, change hands often, make a nice hobby. try to cater to locals, plenty of competition and they can live cheaper, so you got to think of something good if business minded.

schools, have couple decent private, though don't think anyone has experience in upper grades. i'm quite satisfied with St. Mary's for girls, daughter in 4th grade, progressing well, less than 10,000 k baht a year. don boscos school, for both, gets good reviews also, less than 20 k a year.

would think you would be fine with 50 k a month, give or take. we do it on less than 40 k with plenty of extra. family of 3.

housing, rents start around 5 k and up, build/buy/own start about 1 million and up, outside the ring rd, 2 million is a ball park price, give or take half mill, may get lucky for closer to 1 million baht.

rent and give it a try for a year, see if it's for you. udon is much smaller than CM, and guessing a bit cheaper. though business wise, if catering to tourist, CM would be better. good luck

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 12, 2009, 8:13 pm

The best school in Udon is Don Bosco, Anubaan (infants) is full with a waiting list.
Our Grandson goes to Udon Christian where he is doing well, unlike the schools in the UK where the female teachers have a face like a welders bench, smoke pipes, wear comfortable shoes, and give the kids colouring books with pictures of mosques.

What business are you thinking about?
Don't go down the bar route, the places here that cater for the foreign ex-pat market that make real money can be counted on one hand. Most are "hobby bars".

Find a gap in the market and offer a service that no one else has thought of.
Last edited by Prenders88 on February 12, 2009, 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » February 12, 2009, 8:28 pm

Prenders88 wrote:

What business are you thinking about?
Don't go down the bar route, the places here that cater for the foreign ex-pat market that make real money can be counted on one hand. Most are "hobby bars".

Don't think they started off like that, just happened. :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 12, 2009, 8:29 pm

Some good advice from LA & Prenders.
The business side (& making a profit from it) will be an issue in Udon I think. Most of the "common" ones are already well covered and it is pretty likely that a new unique profitable venture would be copied very quickly.
You also have to consider that even before the current world economy situation tourism wasn't a major factor in Udon & that is even more the case now. If it will be a business that concentrates on Falang trade then it must be recognised that the Falang population is a very varied bunch & many are more than a little careful with expenditure!!!
Not wanted to put you off Udon, because I think it is a great place to live, but I certainly would not want to try & live on the profits I could make from a business here...

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 12, 2009, 9:02 pm

Your in the same position as me. I'm also looking for ways to make a living in north thai to get away from the UK.We also have a boy of 18 month we wish to school in udon or similar.When you have any idea's please PM me

Richardg

Post by Richardg » February 13, 2009, 5:19 pm

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the replies. The school fees seem very reasonable to me.

I have properties (UK) that if rented would give me an income to live in Thailand. Because of the exchange rate they would probably generate about 50,000 baht a Month. But I couldn't rely on them being constantly occupied, hence the wish to try some business.
I have looked at the bar idea but having a baby girl I don't think it's the right surroundings for Her to grow up in.

My Wife is really smart and I think She could do well if She had something to run here. She is an excellent cook and can do every British meal, including Chinese (like you get in the UK) and even Indian.
Since Udon has 7000 Foreigners I think there could be a market for a little restaurant with quality British food and the like.
Having lived in Thailand before I know how much I craved for home made steak pie and all the trimmings. I would have died for a good Chinese sweet and sour chicken and fried rice at times!

That's just one idea.

The most important factor at this time is waiting to see if She can get British Nationality this year then we can leave the Country without Her having time restraints upon Her.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » February 13, 2009, 5:29 pm

Who said there are 7000 foreigners in Udon?

Last I heard was about 3000 in udon PROVINCE - which is a huge area

Those that live within the inner city limits are probably below 3 figures

Of that number maybe only about 1/3 rd are Brits

That would have to be quite some steak pie to entice all those people to come and eat it

Your post reminds me of the (in)famous restaurant in Pattaya which proclaims:

'English style Indian food'

There are at least two restaurants in Udon who do Steak Puddings and one of them is as good as anywhere in the UK.

You are going to have to have something very special to compete with them !

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 13, 2009, 5:37 pm

There are at least two restaurants in Udon who do Steak Puddings and one of them is as good as anywhere in the UK.
it would take something really special for me to pass on the Irish Clocks offering and venue. once here, you'll understand. less you got about 10-15 mill to build a twin. 8)

good luck tho, and keep us informed, we're always happy to sample and support local businesses. 8)

Richardg

Post by Richardg » February 13, 2009, 6:26 pm

This website guesstimated that figure
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Udon_Thani

Ok...the food idea may or may not work. We are only going through ideas at this moment. Plenty more to come up with.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I have never had decent Indian food in Pattaya yet.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 13, 2009, 6:40 pm

wonder if that number includes laos workers :-k

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 13, 2009, 7:53 pm

I would say udon needs a harry ramsdons as we have in the UK. Just a thought :-k

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 13, 2009, 8:09 pm

I don't disagree macduff, but I think that getting good quality fresh fish would be a real issue.
Local fresh water fish just wouldn't do it... :( So that means transporting up from BKK if you want local sea fish, or probably the same for frozen..

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 13, 2009, 8:42 pm

It's not only the fish bob but the potato is going to be an issue also. Any idea's on that bob?. Oh and i've thought of a name for the business already.how about Mac Bob's plaice. :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 13, 2009, 9:00 pm

Potatoes are not a problem. The local ones are great for making proper chips - far superior to frozen..
They are relatively expensive compared to UK (well they are mainly bought by Falang :D ) but I am sure that it would be possible to buy in bulk & reduce costs that way.
The fish is a real issue though. I have never seem cod (or any other fish served in a UK fish & chip shop) even frozen in Udon. Probably get from BKK but I am sure would be expensive. The Grand often have sea bass on their buffet menu so it is possible...but...

Don't mind you using my name macduff - as long as it does not require effort or money from me I am happy.... :D :D :D

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » February 13, 2009, 9:21 pm

BobHelm wrote:Potatoes are not a problem. The local ones are great for making proper chips - far superior to frozen..
They are relatively expensive compared to UK (well they are mainly bought by Falang :D ) but I am sure that it would be possible to buy in bulk & reduce costs that way.
The fish is a real issue though. I have never seem cod (or any other fish served in a UK fish & chip shop) even frozen in Udon. Probably get from BKK but I am sure would be expensive. The Grand often have sea bass on their buffet menu so it is possible...but...

Don't mind you using my name macduff - as long as it does not require effort or money from me I am happy.... :D :D :D
Well bob i watched a program in the UK on how to revive restaurants that were working at a loss. This particular episode they used sea bass as an alternative to cod. The customers quite liked it and some of them couldn't tell the difference.I'm sure they said there was a better mark up on sea bass than cod. Bob i have no idea on how to set up such a venture but if someone does reading this i want 10%. I don't mind driving to Bangkok for the fish and back if someone can provide some transport. And while I'm at it if this venture takes off i don't want to be responsible for the shape of slim Thai duds that will turn wide with eating the English delicacy

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » February 13, 2009, 9:25 pm

How about 'A-salt and Battered' Fish + Chip Shop Co ltd partnership.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » February 13, 2009, 9:55 pm

macduff wrote:I would say udon needs a harry ramsdons as we have in the UK. Just a thought :-k
You mean Hally Lamsden? :-"

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » February 14, 2009, 11:01 am

macduff wrote:I don't mind driving to Bangkok for the fish and back if someone can provide some transport.
If you bought the fish in bulk (as you would do for a business) the supplier would have no problem making sure the fish (or any other produce) was shipped to you for a very minimal fee.

This company will ship all over Thailand, even to individuals if they buy enough.

http://www.siamfoodservices.com/en/index.php

jepp
udonmap.com

Post by jepp » February 14, 2009, 12:09 pm

I've seen a lot of people jump into businesses that they have no formal training for, or experience in. IMHO if you are thinking of starting your own business increase your chances of success by being well prepared. Get some formal small business management training - the principles should be the same world wide - and if at all possible get some experience or guidance from a Guru in the field that you go for. Best wishes :D .

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”