Rip off the farang

General Udon Thani topics only!
westerby
udonmap.com

Re: Rip off the farang

Post by westerby » April 2, 2009, 12:45 am

MC wrote:One of the few things I do not like in Thailand is listening to all the foreigners complaining about the country, the people and the culture, when those that do the most complaining know the least about the country, people and culture, so I just avoid talking to most foreigners (problem solved). These are most likely the same foreigners that in their own country curse the foreigners there for not learning English and adhering to their culture.
Oh, you're bang on the money there.

astrid
udonmap.com

Post by astrid » April 2, 2009, 12:57 am

Westerby !

Right on the money........

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » April 2, 2009, 1:22 am

astrid wrote:Westerby !

Right on the money........
Awfully sorry, old Bean, you're absolutely correct. I have a tendency to slip into the cockerney vernacular.

woody
udonmap.com

Post by woody » April 2, 2009, 1:28 am

now it's "i'm more thai than you" thread
or "i hate farang" and then "like it or leave" brigade appear ](*,)

why isn't the op allowed to make comment on over charging?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » April 2, 2009, 1:40 am

woody wrote:now it's "i'm more thai than you" thread
or "i hate farang" and then "like it or leave" brigade appear ](*,)

why isn't the op allowed to make comment on over charging?
He is allowed to make that comment, just as others are allowed to make theirs.

fun44
udonmap.com

Post by fun44 » April 2, 2009, 2:03 am

YOU no thais rip u off ,only if you let them.? as for thais pay 20bht & we pay 200bht..how racesist is that .just do what i do pay the same as thais smile at them & walk by its worked for me for years =D>

woody
udonmap.com

Post by woody » April 2, 2009, 9:42 am

He is allowed to make that comment, just as others are allowed to make theirs.
yeah sure but why bother if they are a waste of bandwidth, no help, derogatory or just bored retired bms spouting bs
maybe
is this the way this board is becoming? join the ranks! :sleepy: #-o

being ripped off shits me no end and i like to hear about ways to avoid it

Michael C
udonmap.com

Post by Michael C » April 2, 2009, 10:12 am

woody wrote:being ripped off **** me no end and i like to hear about ways to avoid it
Sorry, if you feel that you are being ripped off to no end, Woody, but the truth is you only allowed yourself to be ripped off and you only have yourself to blame. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you pay the higher price, are they? As I 'derogatorily spouted off' you can always "move on" to someone not charging you a higher price: that is the solution. Rarely does anyone try to charge me more, but then again, I speak nicely to the people I am dealing with (not talk down to them as I see many foreigners do- a sure way to be overcharged) and build a friendly atmosphere with them (not a confrontational atmosphere as I see many foreigners do): another solution.

The only thing that I have seen as derogatory in this thread is a false claim that the Thai people are engaged in some kind of conspiracy to constantly try to rip off the poor foreigner.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 2, 2009, 11:15 am

rufus wrote:
This is racism, pure and simple. The comment regarding farang teachers is a red herring. Farang teachers in most cases are better qualified and are native speakers. As such they do a better job than Thai teachers. you get paid for the quality of your work.
But don't forget that with a higher salary, comes a higher tax burden also !

Those who work here get paid and are taxed proportionately (farang or Thai)

The comment about Thais get cheaper entrance because they pay taxes cannot be upheld

It would be interesting to know if the venue charging more would make more money by just having a standard price for everyone or having an increased charge for foreigners and risk losing custom because of it. I would suspect that those on holiday here would pay the increased charge as you tend to be a bit flippant with money when on holiday but those who live here would not pay an increased charge. However when you come here on a weeks holiday or two weeks - visiting a National park miles from anywhere would not usually be on the list of things to do anyway.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » April 2, 2009, 12:00 pm

As the infamous "Doc" always used to say Farang teachers do not get paid more than Thais if you take in to account holiday pay, pensions and other perks...it evens out over the year.
As for visiting National Parks I have done my fair share & also crammed as many into a day as possible - you only pay the entrance price for the "highest" priced park you go into on that day - the rest are free !!!
I agree with others that say the best deterrent to unfair practices is vote with your money... :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 2, 2009, 12:02 pm

Paul wrote:
rufus wrote:
This is racism, pure and simple. The comment regarding farang teachers is a red herring. Farang teachers in most cases are better qualified and are native speakers. As such they do a better job than Thai teachers. you get paid for the quality of your work.

The comment about Thais get cheaper entrance because they pay taxes cannot be upheld

It would be interesting to know if the venue charging more would make more money by just having a standard price for everyone or having an increased charge for foreigners and risk losing custom because of it. I would suspect that those on holiday here would pay the increased charge as you tend to be a bit flippant with money when on holiday but those who live here would not pay an increased charge. However when you come here on a weeks holiday or two weeks - visiting a National park miles from anywhere would not usually be on the list of things to do anyway.
Yes agree with all that Paul. Only last week I visited the Maritime museum near Chonburi. This is the sign displayed.
You will see from this that foreigners are charged a massive 350% premium on entry.Not only that, but our children are as well.( for non Thai readers.) The Thai price is 30 bht and children 15bht.. This is pure racism as why my family were inside, I stood and watched as two large groups of Koreans went in , at the Thai price.So therefore the sign should correctly read "non Asians" not foreigners.How else could anyone describe this, if not racism? Nothing to do with paying taxes.
I was also annoyed at the attempt to disguise this two tier pricing by putting the Asian price in Thai numerals. This is tantamount to saying all farangs are stupid and can't read 0-9 in Thai.Which is insulting.If the board read 'Non Thai 100 bht" this would have been acceptable, and possibly understandable.At least it wouldn't have been racist.
This institution is a museum located at a centre of learning. I have to wonder what other discrimination is taught to the students. :-k

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 2, 2009, 3:36 pm

trubrit wrote:
Paul wrote:
rufus wrote:

Yes agree with all that Paul. Only last week I visited the Maritime museum near Chonburi. This is the sign displayed.
You will see from this that foreigners are charged a massive 350% premium on entry.Not only that, but our children are as well.( for non Thai readers.) The Thai price is 30 bht and children 15bht.. This is pure racism as why my family were inside, I stood and watched as two large groups of Koreans went in , at the Thai price.So therefore the sign should correctly read "non Asians" not foreigners.How else could anyone describe this, if not racism? Nothing to do with paying taxes.
I was also annoyed at the attempt to disguise this two tier pricing by putting the Asian price in Thai numerals. This is tantamount to saying all farangs are stupid and can't read 0-9 in Thai.Which is insulting.If the board read 'Non Thai 100 bht" this would have been acceptable, and possibly understandable.At least it wouldn't have been racist.
This institution is a museum located at a centre of learning. I have to wonder what other discrimination is taught to the students. :-k
i am amazed you never took your grievance up with the manager , and advised him to change the sign . so am i correct in assumimg that to save 100 baht you stood outside counting koreans , rather than enjoy the museum with your family , but was elated yesturday to get your favourite scotch at a mere 2000 baht . nice to see your priorities are in order fella . and before you respond with ,its the priciple . =; =; =; =;
=; =;

Juan Kosoff
udonmap.com

Post by Juan Kosoff » April 2, 2009, 3:41 pm

That would be the positive thing to do

Juan Kosoff
udonmap.com

Post by Juan Kosoff » April 2, 2009, 3:43 pm

Michael C wrote:Most state enterprises, most temples that charge admission and many tourist venues do not have a two tier price system if you live here (year visa, not tourists), at least in the places I have visited, this includes the National Parks mentioned earlier.

So much complaining on this topic and other topics! If you don't like the price, move on! If you don't like the country, move out! One of the few things I do not like in Thailand is listening to all the foreigners complaining about the country, the people and the culture, when those that do the most complaining know the least about the country, people and culture, so I just avoid talking to most foreigners (problem solved). These are most likely the same foreigners that in their own country curse the foreigners there for not learning English and adhering to their culture.
Good point worth repeating for those hard of hearing

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » April 2, 2009, 3:57 pm

What is a Rip off Farang?

Is Don Juan the Quips or Quisling Guy ?

Freedom is
Freedom of Expression
Freedom of Movement
Freedom of Speech

We are the People, Let the people speak freely

Banish Censorship online here, unless its offensive or illegal

Juan Kosoff
udonmap.com

Post by Juan Kosoff » April 2, 2009, 4:01 pm

I would banish the same old moan, get a political party together and do something about it. or go somewhere you like then.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 2, 2009, 4:03 pm

Juan Kosoff wrote:
Michael C wrote:Most state enterprises, most temples that charge admission and many tourist venues do not have a two tier price system if you live here (year visa, not tourists), at least in the places I have visited, this includes the National Parks mentioned earlier.

So much complaining on this topic and other topics! If you don't like the price, move on! If you don't like the country, move out! One of the few things I do not like in Thailand is listening to all the foreigners complaining about the country, the people and the culture, when those that do the most complaining know the least about the country, people and culture, so I just avoid talking to most foreigners (problem solved). These are most likely the same foreigners that in their own country curse the foreigners there for not learning English and adhering to their culture.
Good point worth repeating for those hard of hearing
i agree , well worth repeating again, and again ,and again , till the penny drops , you are in thailand people !!!!! accept it for what it is and stop moaning about it , or do as others do , if your not happy with the price , move on . sort of reminds me of spain in the 70s , when all the brits would moan about not being able to get a good cup of tea , :oops: :oops: :oops: or the greek islands in the 80s when you would hear , they dont know how to cook proper chips , why dont they use dripping ? :oops: :oops: :oops: your in thailand !!!! so what if theres discrimination towards there own , who cares ? much better that , than whats happening in the U K at the present , where theres discrimination against there own !!!!!!! accept it and learn to live with it , you may enjoy life just that little bit more !!!!!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » April 2, 2009, 5:02 pm

Saint. If you would take the time and trouble to read my post correctly, you will see it was the manner in which the charge was made. Not the charge itself. I actually said ,presented differently, the 100bht was perfectly acceptable.A bit like you really. It isn't what you say. it's the manner in which you say it that may cause offence.My preferred drinking habits are no concern of yours or any one else, except possibly my wife. [-X

Naam Jai
udonmap.com

Post by Naam Jai » April 2, 2009, 5:36 pm

Ban Phue
Anyone know what they are charging farangs at Phu Bra Bhat these days?

Juan Kosoff
udonmap.com

Post by Juan Kosoff » April 2, 2009, 5:41 pm

trubrit wrote:Saint. If you would take the time and trouble to read my post correctly, you will see it was the manner in which the charge was made. Not the charge itself. I actually said ,presented differently, the 100bht was perfectly acceptable.A bit like you really. It isn't what you say. it's the manner in which you say it that may cause offence.My preferred drinking habits are no concern of yours or any one else, except possibly my wife. [-X
I believe Trubrit you put your preferred drinking habits in the realm of the forum in a former post.
And you are right it's the way YOU say it

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”