THE IRISH CLOCK

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: THE IRISH CLOCK

Post by beer monkey » April 24, 2009, 2:52 am

Thanks prenders....look forward to it.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » April 24, 2009, 5:50 pm

i don't know, going to be pretty hard to beat my meat pie i had yesterday. my first munch since back in area, TJ's today, and probably Nobi's tomorrow.....big 3 out of the way already. the amateurs will have to wait.

and where else can the host make you feel so internet ignorant, then graciously let his magic fingers hook you up to wifi, in less that a few. have to pay attention next time. 8)

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » May 19, 2009, 8:16 pm

Had chix cordon bleu in the Clock this weekend.
Nice meal but the taters were a bit pasty. I like mine creamy and lumpy.
Perhaps I should have made a special request.
But I used to work with a guy that ordered silly ---- every time we went to lunch just to see the staff squirm. I make it a habit never make special requests.

Anyway the meal was good and the Guinness was cold.

8.9 out of 10.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » May 19, 2009, 9:33 pm

laphanphon wrote:i don't know, going to be pretty hard to beat my meat pie i had yesterday. my first munch since back in area, TJ's today, and probably Nobi's tomorrow.....big 3 out of the way already. the amateurs will have to wait.

and where else can the host make you feel so internet ignorant, then graciously let his magic fingers hook you up to wifi, in less that a few. have to pay attention next time. 8)
Looking forward to the evening browsing and big Tigers.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » May 20, 2009, 1:56 am

hi mr aardvarki have tried the cottege pie at irish clock beuitful but to much for me to eat all in one go. mark you will have no problem knowing you no offence meant.see u soon :D :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » May 20, 2009, 3:32 am

The Clock is certainly one of my favorites. I've had a few meals there. But I don't go to the Clock for the meals. I partronize the Irish Clock a favorite and pleasant place to drink beer and socialize. Draft Tiger is 40 baht which is very reasonable. After a beer or three, I order the french fried potatoes or chips. Around eleven I catch a tut-tut back to my hotel. The Irish Clock is simply IMO the most comfortable bar on the street or maybe in Udon Thani. The Thai waitresses are as pleasant and attractive as any other bar, but they are there to provide good service, chat up and flirt with. There's no likelihood of entering upon some complex or entangling relationship with a Clock hostess. The air-condition is great. Music is the right level and generally the songs are soothing rather than irritating, Toilets are upscale and clean. The outside tables, front and back, offer a good change of scenery, if not too hot outside. Tut-tut drivers are usually available and nearby in the evening. And if the evening seems dull, you can sally forth from the Clock and survey the many open-air bars nearby. That Nobi's is a hundred yards away is a major plus.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 20, 2009, 11:53 am

That is as about a good a summary of The Clock as I have read TJ. :D
If you add the fact that the rooms are a good size and a reasonable price (with breakfast thrown in) then I think that is why it never seems to be struggling for customers...

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » May 20, 2009, 2:16 pm

Who remembers the Clock before Steve and Mali took over? It was a completely different place altogether - rubbish in fact - a lot has to be said for the landlord and his wife for making it is the success it is today.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 20, 2009, 2:24 pm

Agree 100% OT.
I visited it once before Steve took over & swore I would never go there again. (& didn't until Steve arrived).
Just about the exact opposite of what you get today and, consequently, empty !!!

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 20, 2009, 2:45 pm

I disagree. I thought it was OK when Tom run the place. Not much has changed in my opinion, maybe food slightly better. Decor still the same. TV coverage not so good as before. No UBC now and no smoke.
When I stayed there pre-Steve all the rooms were occupied, so it couldn't have been that bad and would Steve take on a lease for a business that was failing?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 20, 2009, 6:19 pm

i agree with both, Tom did a nice job of managing things, staff all friendly. BUT...........when Tom left and the owners sis, Tracey i think, was put in charge, things did change drastically, especially the pricing. which i discussed with her, and i got the impression, and she said it herself, this is the best thing in udon, so it's priced appropriately, or something to that effect. if not mistaken, the meat pie went from 150 to almost 200, and a chicken favorite of gems, 90 to 150 baht. easily 50 % across the board.

so i returned to steves bar for my meat pies, then the original owner of steve's bar and present management team of irish clock opened a place out off the ring road, so back to my original pie maker, who taught the new owner/old chef everything they know at steve's bar. then when they took the reins of the clock, i also returned from my self exile, till things got back to normal.

may it never change. :D

the really confusing part, is the original owner of steves bar, name is steve, who sold it to steve, and has since moved on to manage the clock, which is owned by another ...................Steve. a very nice man, who invested a lot. i think so dad and sis had something to keep them busy. sadly, you can only show them the way. but all good in the end, Steve and Male are excellent, as is the food and a great value.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » May 20, 2009, 9:20 pm

LA I do not know any thing about the clock before Steve & Maley but I agree with you both are wonderful host and make excellent meals and are priced right I just wish I could get there more often

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » May 21, 2009, 12:03 am

aznyron wrote:LA I do not know any thing about the clock before Steve & Maley but I agree with you both are wonderful host and make excellent meals and are priced right I just wish I could get there more often
aznyron - all i can tell you is the one and only time i went there before steve and mali took it over - there was one big fat falang bird, sitting at the bar, chain smoking whilst she was eating her dinner and giving out orders to the staff every ten minutes so everyone new she was in charge, she even tried to speak thai - what a bl0ody joke... the place was almost empty, i dont know if the rooms upstairs were occupied or not - steve and his team are a million times better and they have made the place a great pub....imo only............. \:D/

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 21, 2009, 3:59 am

there was one big fat falang bird, sitting at the bar, chain smoking whilst she was eating her dinner and giving out orders to the staff every ten minutes so everyone new she was in charge, she even tried to speak thai - what a bl0ody joke...
I am picturing the scene....looks horrendous in my mind.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 21, 2009, 8:02 am

Arr yes, Tracey. When I use to stay at the Clock she was running City Lodge. Looks like I was lucky and missed her at the Clock.

PAUL STAKER
udonmap.com

Post by PAUL STAKER » August 3, 2009, 12:48 am

Wow seems like this palce is pretty popular even with Americans and english. I might of taught is was just irish food. Never was one for corned beef and cabbage.......... :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 3, 2009, 1:16 am

PAUL STAKER wrote:Wow seems like this palce is pretty popular even with Americans and english. I might of taught is was just irish food. Never was one for corned beef and cabbage.......... :lol:
IMO,the best run and comfortable falang joint in town!

goodybags
udonmap.com

Post by goodybags » August 17, 2009, 1:25 am

As posted by others,
Irish Clock a great place to eat,
as not being a big drinker of alcohol cant comment on the drinks,
I was staying at an apparment near Irish Clock on Steves recomendation (as his rooms were all booked)
loved the free wifi in there. *****5 star service ***** (was there feb09)
=D> :D \:D/

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » August 17, 2009, 3:25 am

Only been once but food excellent,TW enjoyed the Guinness,TW brother hated it but he is only a Leos drinker. :|
Can someone remind me on which days is the traffic allowed down the Soi towards Orange Moon as this used to be an issue?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 17, 2009, 10:12 am

Every day traffic is allowed both ways pompui. Parking is only allowed on one side of the road on even numbered days, the opposite side of the road odd numbered days. Don't ask me which is which, but there are signs. Police enforcement is sporadic (hence many people ignore) but they have been known to clamp on the some random days. If have a pickup parking is not really an issue down that soi now as the Top Mansion 2 site (right next door to The Clock) is open as a car park. Would not particularly recommend this if in a car as the surface is not good & you can 'bottom' a car coming out if not careful.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”