Baht What up with Dat?????

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
aznyron
udonmap.com

Re: Baht What up with Dat?????

Post by aznyron » September 15, 2009, 4:23 pm

Scotty like you I am not worried about China they got so much money invested in the USA is why they are concerned were in Thailand it the baht against the USD that all that concerns me if the Euro gains on the USD then it more baht for the Germans & Italians and Poles not for us same go for all the other currencies
yes I would like to see the GBP also gain on the baht for my UK friends were in this together and we are getting hammered and please do not go back to 1997 when it was 25 or what ever I came here it was 40 & 41 now it 33 and 34 that not what I expected to happen so I do all my calculating on 40 to 1 that it & I will not change I am stubborn old fart

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 15, 2009, 7:26 pm

You know Ron. lets not forget how well off we are these days compared to some of our Countrymen. people have ;lost their job. even ig they are getting unemployment it isn't enough to even rent a house. For the first time I have to send money to my kids cause they can't make it with only part time jobs.

My thoughts we are darn lucky to be here arguing about satang then we would be there. We may have avoided a Depression. But, that doesn't mean things are good.

This all has a long ways to play out.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » September 15, 2009, 9:52 pm

aznyron wrote: I am stubborn old fart
We will agree with you on this. But will also say that you stick to your guns, no matter how wrong others may think you are, including myself on some issues. :D

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 16, 2009, 8:31 am

Bump People are hurting all over more so in Thailand since they have no social programs to help you when you lose your job through no fault of your own and Thailand lost a very large percent of it exports due to a strong over inflated baht it Tourism is down by over 50 % because of a few reason one exchange rate most from the UK and unstable Government fears as for Americans they only play a small part in the tourism
most seem to come from the UK & Australia correct me if I am wrong and a Police department who does not help you only there to collect tea money and as for a over stay on your Visa they treat that like major crime example I fell & fractured my hip in Bangkok on my first visit with a 30 visa walk in and I had to get letters from my doctors and report twice a month to them and pay 1900 a month for a visa extension based on medical reasons and I was on crutches in pain and I had to see them while staying at a former G/F house that would not happen in UK or USA get a doctors note and that it no additional fees and no reporting they would give you a 3 month extension & if you needed more they would give it based on your Physician Sorry I am drifting away from the original post so when I see the baht at 33 or 34 and no reason why it should be there then I can only say it a scam and I see no reason why we are only getting 33 when the country is in the toilet

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 16, 2009, 9:04 am

Ron

Dont wish to critisise on the hospital issue and the visa expiring etc, but that would probably apply to most countries - Well Austalia for sure.

When a visa expires , it just does that, and the circumstances will be investigated, ie hospital admission, then they have a right to obtain documented evidence of this to support there extension etc. SAdly this task is the patients responsibilty and is just another inconvienence of having the injury or illness occur in another country that allows your presence with a visa.

Even a worker in Australia has to provide medical evidence for sick leave etc.

For example in private hospitals in Thailand ( the larger groups anyway ) have nominated people in their international department who do exactly that, and get the visa extensions based on the medical grounds etc

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » September 16, 2009, 10:03 am

The price of gold at the moment indicates the dollar is weakening. I think when we see gold in the $800 range we will be able to say the dollar is stronger. IMHO :D :D

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 16, 2009, 4:38 pm

Not really Nong Khai ha came to the hospital to help people in the same situations in the past. How the new Udon office will be anybodies guess.

Dollar took a real dive today Gold $1010 Bhat 33.83 the last time I looked.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 17, 2009, 10:30 am

Yahoo reporting the bahy at 33.67 at this moment,still dropping! 8-[

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 17, 2009, 12:07 pm

Dollar is in freefall :confused: :pirate:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 17, 2009, 5:13 pm

well the news is not good and i am deeply disappointed so it looks like that trip to Cambodia may come sooner than I expected if this continues I did notice when the buck gained the Baht stood still it only when
the USD drops the baht moves like wild fire in a dry brush can't wait to cash in on weak buck well at least the Aussie are having a Holiday there buck is getting close to the USD I have not looked at the GBP today so
I will not comment on it same go for the Euro which in all honesty does not concern me at all

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 17, 2009, 5:25 pm

yea, what up with that, haven't withdrawn anything since sold house, 9 months, now i start, last week, and it dips below 34..........WTF. :evil:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 17, 2009, 5:37 pm

LA so you have that dark cloud following you also it been on my back most of my life I thought when I came here it would get lost some place over the Pacific Ocean LOL

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 17, 2009, 5:40 pm

laphanphon wrote:yea, what up with that, haven't withdrawn anything since sold house, 9 months, now i start, last week, and it dips below 34..........WTF. :evil:
:lol: So it is you???I thought it was me because I am transferring all my funds into Thailand! 8-[

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 17, 2009, 5:54 pm

LA so you have that dark cloud following you
actually, i've been lucky, built house when decent rate, above 40, 1st car, 42, 2nd car 35, which means they gave me nice trade in value, if using dollar though means 2nd car was expensive in dollars, same with selling house, very nice, since most money went from usa to usa banks, making that look like a really nice appreciation w/inflation. though it would cost the same to replace now, so a wash, if i build another, but nice USD profit.

now i can start crying though, as i'm planning on bringing over quite a bit during the rest of the year. :cry: :cry: maybe wait a week for exporters to cry also, and some worst tourist figures to come out, and they let it ride back up over 34, that's bad enough. :cry: :cry: amazing how all asia dropped last week, but baht stronger. :evil:

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 17, 2009, 8:06 pm

Well I have arrived down 40K baht month, if I were geting the same rates today. But, the truth is at first I made it on a lot less then I have now. I can again if I need to, prefer not to though. No I'm not going anywhere, I hav had enough adventure learning to live in a foriegn land. I don't want to repeat it.

Things are still pretty good if we skip this subject. Right now I'm more worried about the U.S. then Thailand my second daughter was just laid off.

Exports Thailand has definetly picked the glass is half full. I'm hoping they are worried about Saurday and that is why they are letting slide, hedging their be. Thier position was to keep it stable that is not happening this week. I have seen a lot concern about this real who knows. But none the less it has an effect.

This keep's going and the U.S. will have the edge on the export side. Lots of things happening this week Tariffs on tires from China. Big deal with Russia, China and Venezula on the oil front.

I hope it really is only six months more we have to ride this out. But in my heart of hearts I don't think so. remodeling the house. Got good local labor at good prices, they needed work I able to give them some. Rebuilding a 800 CC motorcycle adn party for 200 next month. All paid for with money brought in several months ago. Wuth the exchange rate as it is now, I would sit on it, if it were in the states.

I never cut the American people short lot tougher then most think. They will pull through even if it's a long haul. My hope is we start seeing a reduction of defict spending. That would be a very strong message on the dollars favor.

This is my home I'm not going anywhere. :pirate:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 18, 2009, 7:23 am

I just want to point out that the USA buys more crap from S/E Asia & China then the rest of the world
so when things tighten in the good ole US of A the whole Asian continent suffers China India are the big ones when they are hurting the rest are broke so I see no reason for a strong baht they are full of B/S and also what ever exports thailand gets most of them are from China Japan & Korea and watch out and you will see most of them going to Vietnam Cambodia & Lao because labor & exchange rates are far less than Thailand

Gozzo
udonmap.com

Post by Gozzo » September 18, 2009, 8:58 am

jetdoc wrote:The price of gold at the moment indicates the dollar is weakening. I think when we see gold in the $800 range we will be able to say the dollar is stronger. IMHO :D :D
Just caught the end of an interview on the radio yesterday about the price of gold. As I say, didn't hear the whole interview but this guy said at the end of the interview that some "experts" expect the price of gold to peak at $1800 US.

If I had some spare cash i would be tempted to stash a little gold away for a while and see what happens. As long as we have troubles in the oil bearing countries the price of gold will creep up and up.

Now where did I stash my spare millions again. :-s
Such is life.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 18, 2009, 9:32 am

LA & Bumper, the immediate prospects for the dollar are not good, though according to Bloomberg the weakness may be poised to peter out:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid= ... 6YzRpw8pio

LA, If you are thinking of bringing some lump sums over, I would hold on as long as you can or watch for any odd bits of good news coming out about the US Economy and then jump on the back of the upward hiccup at that moment. (I think you'll be doing well if you get 34)

The baht looks like continuing to remain stable, and they have spoken of no further interest rate cuts in LOS.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 18, 2009, 10:41 am

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 18, 2009, 12:37 pm

Good one Ron, unfurtuanetly it is not translated to dollar value lets hope that happens soon.

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”