Stop using Internet Explorer ??

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Stop using Internet Explorer ??

Post by BobHelm » January 24, 2010, 10:37 am

There has been a lot of discussion in the European press about how secure Internet Explorer actually is. This has stemmed from a reported attack on Google using vulnerabilities within IE.
The German Federal Office for Information Security & the French Certa have both issued warning saying that people should not use IE but search for another browser.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8465038.stm
It is well known that the European Union have had a number of battles with Microsoft over Microsoft using its monopoly position on computer operating systems to unfairly 'force' people towards using Explorer as an internet browser. So is this just another shot across the bows by the EU or are they saying something that is sensible.
I subscribe to a free journal called ZDNet. It has shows articles written by various technical journalists that are usually factual & well developed pieces. This is their take on the 'crisis'.
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1663
It is quite long (5 pages) but well worth the read.
I think its' conclusions are...
You really should not be using IE6 unless it is for an over whelming technical reason.
No internet browser is 100% secure and users should realise this and take the relevant extra measures necessary to protect themselves.
The perceived extra security of browsers other than IE is more because they are not currently gaining the attention of hackers rather than because of real security.
No operating system is secure. The piece on the contestant gaining illegal access to a new fully configured Mac in SECONDS is well worth any smug Mac user taking notice of.
So it looks like I will carry on with FireFox & AGV along with spam ware software, running CCleanear – the same as before....

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: Stop using Internet Explorer ??

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 24, 2010, 10:48 am

I cannot log on to this site using Windows. Only Google Chrome and Firefox will permit me to be logged in. However, on the other Udon site, I can log in using any browser.

matts

Post by matts » January 27, 2010, 5:50 pm

Whats google chrome like to use

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 27, 2010, 6:42 pm

I know some say that it loads pages very quickly - quicker than FF or IE. That was not my experience - BUT my laptop does not have much memory & I think that is the issue. FF, for me, is a good fit, it has some add-ons that I find useful & loads quicker on my PC than the competition... :D

woody
udonmap.com

Post by woody » January 28, 2010, 8:02 am

not used ie in years

was crap is crap

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 18, 2010, 8:53 am

Just started getting internet explorer connection problems with Udonmap, getting error that say I"nternet Explorer can not open site http://www.udonmap.com/ Operation Aborted" using IE 8. No problem with Firefox. Will try to figure out problem and post if I find out what the problem is :(

Flatlander
udonmap.com

Post by Flatlander » February 18, 2010, 4:28 pm

Long time ago stopped with using Explorer, use Safari and Firefox now.

Link to free download Safari 4 for Mac + PC:
http://www.apple.com/safari/

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » February 19, 2010, 3:05 am

Stantheman wrote:Just started getting internet explorer connection problems with Udonmap, getting error that say I"nternet Explorer can not open site http://www.udonmap.com/ Operation Aborted" using IE 8. No problem with Firefox. Will try to figure out problem and post if I find out what the problem is :(
I have also had this problem for 2 days but now it's working again. However, it was only the home or start page that was a problem connecting. It has been possible to get into the forum by going directly there www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ Can anyone work out what the problem is or was! Is it IE8 or has there been a problem with the server?

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » February 19, 2010, 7:19 am

I suffered the same problem over the same period. I also use IE8; but I think that the problem was with the UDONMAP server.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 19, 2010, 8:00 am

Ray.Charles wrote:I suffered the same problem over the same period. I also use IE8; but I think that the problem was with the UDONMAP server.
I agree as the problem is gone now

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 19, 2010, 8:36 am

I expect Lee will look into it, but doubtful if anything can be discovered now the event has gone.
I would be surprised if it was a server error, as other browsers did not have an issue - I logged on this way using FF a couple of times every day during this time & never had a glitch.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » February 19, 2010, 9:57 am

Bob: my technical knowledge of the browser interface is not current. But, as I understand each browser has a different interface to the server software. If I am correct, then just because UDONMAP had been available through interfaces other than IE8 does not mean that the problem was not at at the UDONMAP interface.
"I would be surprised if it was a server error, as other browsers did not have an issue". The other side of that logic is that I accessed many other servers with IE8 during the period when I couldn't access UDONMAP.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 19, 2010, 10:08 am

Yes Ray, i agree & if Lee had been making updates to Udonmap during this time-frame then I would also expect that the server was at fault. However, to my knowledge no changes have been made. It would be interesting if any of the other sites that you had contacted using IE8 during this time were phpBB driven Forums.
The reason I ask is that, over the last month, I have found myself cut off from 'groups' of web sites at certain times - during these times web sites not in the group effected have been freely available. The groupings I have noticed are 'mail', 'news' & 'forums'. I imagine there are others, just not noticed by me.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 19, 2010, 11:14 am

Hi Guys, thanks for the heads-up regarding the IE8 issue. I'm pleased to say that as of yesterday evening the front page is now fixed. After doing a little digging around I noticed there was a bug with the flv player script. Most browsers have the ability to ignore minor errors and make adjustments to display the page correctly, therefore users using Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc would not have noticed any problems. However IE8 is hyper sensitive and will normally freeze when there is a slight error in the code.

The code is now fixed and everything seems to be working OK. :D Does anyone know how long there has been a problem? I don't use IE so I was not aware of any problems until I picked this thread up yesterday.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 19, 2010, 12:16 pm

Wrong again... :shock: :oops: :razz:

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » February 19, 2010, 2:41 pm

lee wrote:Hi Guys, thanks for the heads-up regarding the IE8 issue. I'm pleased to say that as of yesterday evening the front page is now fixed. After doing a little digging around I noticed there was a bug with the flv player script. Most browsers have the ability to ignore minor errors and make adjustments to display the page correctly, therefore users using Firefox, Chrome, Opera etc would not have noticed any problems. However IE8 is hyper sensitive and will normally freeze when there is a slight error in the code.

The code is now fixed and everything seems to be working OK. :D Does anyone know how long there has been a problem? I don't use IE so I was not aware of any problems until I picked this thread up yesterday.
I first noticed the problem Wednesday 0500 GMT, I was back to normal Thursday 1300 GMT.

small notice came up on the front page clicked it and the page collapsed but got onto the site via favourites history. :lol:

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 19, 2010, 3:39 pm

BobHelm wrote:You really should not be using IE6 unless it is for an over whelming technical reason.
13% of the last 500 visitors to udonmap are using IE6 :shock: Looking at the stats for the past 500 visitors 56% are using IE browsers, 37% Firefox, 5 % Safari and 2% others. Last year it looked like Firefox was gaining ground over IE, now it looks like the other way around. However going by global stats looks like IE is loosing popularity. http://gs.statcounter.com/

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » February 19, 2010, 3:56 pm

Astana wrote:I first noticed the problem Wednesday 0500 GMT, I was back to normal Thursday 1300 GMT.
Thanks for the info. :D

jorg
udonmap.com

Post by jorg » February 23, 2010, 5:05 pm

Thanks to the EU ;) there now is the browser choice website. Should make it easy for everybody to switch browser. =D>

http://www.browserchoice.eu/BrowserChoi ... ice_en.htm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 25, 2010, 5:07 pm

lee wrote:13% of the last 500 visitors to udonmap are using IE6 :shock:
They REALLY should be looking for something else, especially now..
The desired demise of IE6 came a step closer when just a few weeks ago Google announced that from 1 March, it will end support for the browser.

The world's most powerful internet company said that from next Monday some of its services, such as Google Docs, would not work "properly" with the browser.

YouTube has pencilled in 13 March for when it will drop IE6.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters ... _most.html

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”