Suffer from Gout? This works for me.

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Suffer from Gout? This works for me.

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 7, 2010, 12:58 pm

Just a bit of background:-
I started suffering gout in my left foot about 18 months ago, an attack every 2 months or so with some being so bad I was completely laid up. I started taking a couple of Panadine and Capirox-20 or similar anti inflammatory until the swelling and pain was relieved some days later. I know I should but I do not take any on going treatment or special diets.

Last August I was in Brisbane visiting my elderly Mum and had an attack, I had no medication so she offered me some tablets she uses for her leg problems, I took one and a Panamax pain reliever. Well within hours the pain subsided and overnight the swelling had gone down and my left foot was as right as rain.

I went to see a chemist to buy some of this miracle drug and told her what is was for, she agreed that it would work on gout but she explained to me that it was sold only on prescription. Some seconds later the penny dropped! She knew of a drug that was ½ the measure (250mg) had the same active ingredient, Narproxen Sodium, and not a prescribed drug.

Well, last Friday morning I woke with my first gout since August, took one pill and a Panamax, by the evening the foot was much better and the following day no sign at all.

The drug is manufactured by Bayer and called Naprogesic, believe it or not:- “Treats the cause of Period Pains” :roll: Quoted off the box.

I hope this may help someone out there.

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Re: Suffer from Gout? This works for me.

Post by SanukJoe » February 7, 2010, 2:33 pm

Thanks BH for your report.

I'm still wandering about my right swollen leg.
Last year I went to the clinic in Nong han and a blood test showed I had gout. Got medicine and advice that I followed up partially (no chicken, no vegetables with small leaves, no alcohol, no smoke) Except for the alcohol I followed up and checked a few months later, still too high values. I kept on the same treatment and in November last year blood test showed everything ok!

But, I still have this swollen right leg and foot. It is not painful so I think it is not gout but it's annoying, nearly can't get in my shoes, after walking a bit or driving the car the swelling gets less, when I sit down it gets worse.

Have no idea what it is but I am keen for every recommendation.

So I will go for your tip and try to get this Naprogesic. Any idea if it is available in Thailand?

Thanks
Joe

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » February 7, 2010, 2:34 pm

Stupid me, BD I should have read, not BH (thought of Bandung Hero :lol: )

letigger
udonmap.com

Post by letigger » February 7, 2010, 3:33 pm

Have suffered from intermitant attacks of gout since 2002, I now have a system that works, I do not avoid any food except, too much alcohol, sugars, Fructose (deadly for me).
With a gout attack you know the signs, I then take Ibruprofen 400 mg and Colchicine 1mg daily.

Just recently I had run out of Colchicine, so took only Ibruprofen 400mg twice a day, within 3 days all symptoms had gone.

It is fair too say that each individual will be different and therefore treatments vary !

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 7, 2010, 3:54 pm

My regime is 1 x 100mg tablet of Allopurinol every day. It reduces the excess uric acid in the body, which is the cause of gout. The acid converts to crystals, which then accumulate in the joint, causing the pain.

On the rare occasion that I feel pain developing, or see swelling or redness in the joint, I will take a 400mg NSAID (usually Ibuprofen) for a day or so.

Works for me, with no worries about diet. :drunk: :-D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » February 7, 2010, 4:04 pm

Is it true to say that most people who suffer from gout are, or have been heavy drinkers?
\:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 7, 2010, 4:14 pm

Not necessarily. Teetotalers and vegetarians can (and do) get gout.

And some heavy drinkers never get gout.

BTW, what treatment do you use. :D

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » February 7, 2010, 4:21 pm

jackspratt wrote: BTW, what treatment do you use. :D
Touch wood - never had gout, but I can understand you asking.
The reason I asked is because I remember all the old pi$$ heads down the local pub in England suffering from gout attacks, they were forever hobbling around.
\:D/

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 7, 2010, 5:24 pm

SanukJoe wrote:------ Any idea if it is available in Thailand?

Thanks
Joe
Your best bet is to go into Boots and ask them for something that contains 250mg of "Narproxen Sodium" That's where I would start. ;)

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 7, 2010, 5:47 pm

I Have suffered attacks of gout in the past,now my easy and very cheap solution is to take a little Baking Soda,which takes out the uric acid in your body which is what causes the attacks,Now i do not take it all the time i can normally tell when i have to much uric acid i get HEART BURN only a little bit,but this tells me to take some BAKING SODA . This Works for every time. :D

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » February 7, 2010, 5:55 pm

Where can one find, Baking Soda, in Udon?

I've looked, but apparently not in the right places.

Thanks

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 7, 2010, 6:07 pm

docta wrote:Where can one find, Baking Soda, in Udon?

I've looked, but apparently not in the right places.

Thanks

It is labled Sodium Bicarbonate and is found at the supermarkets. The brand that I last purchased was McGarrett and I think I got it at Big C or Tops.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » February 7, 2010, 6:11 pm

I will pass on the info about Baking Soda to a couple of farang I know suffer from Gout.They have both been advised to avoid shellfish and certain meat products.
Seems Thai doctors give different advice re Gout. 8)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 7, 2010, 6:21 pm

Sorry docta I can only narrow it down to the new Tang Nee Soon, new Tesco or Carrefour.
I went to all 3 last month & bought it at one of them. It is not listed as Baking Soda but as Sodium Bicarbonate and manufactured by a company called McGarrett - all other writing on the clear plastic bag is in Thai. All the writing on the bag is in red - apart from the bar code which is in black. (8 850356 371350). I think the bag contains 300 grams. If you were desperate & still cannot find you are more than welcome to half of this pack - I use so little that I guess I will throw some away when it reaches it end of life of 05/01/2012.... :D

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 7, 2010, 8:01 pm

I Bought my Last Packet In Tang Ngee Soon,and its the ARM & HAMMER Pure Baking Soda from america,in a orange box ,they had 2 different size's to choose from,not sure of the price,but very cheep. :D

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » February 8, 2010, 11:57 am

keith555 wrote:I Have suffered attacks of gout in the past,now my easy and very cheap solution is to take a little Baking Soda,which takes out the uric acid in your body which is what causes the attacks,Now i do not take it all the time i can normally tell when i have to much uric acid i get HEART BURN only a little bit,but this tells me to take some BAKING SODA . This Works for every time. :D
i,m sorry if this is stupid question but how do you take the baking soda ?
do you just put it in your mouth to dissolve or you add it to water ?
and how much you use each time you take it ...ie teaspoon or tablespoon ?
i somtimes get gout quite bad so i,ll try anything see if it works ..

SanukJoe
udonmap.com

Post by SanukJoe » February 8, 2010, 12:19 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
SanukJoe wrote:------ Any idea if it is available in Thailand?

Thanks
Joe
Your best bet is to go into Boots and ask them for something that contains 250mg of "Narproxen Sodium" That's where I would start. ;)

Thanks BD, I will check it as I will go there anyway for Ibuprofen, hope they have Allopurinol too...

Joe

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 8, 2010, 2:28 pm

nkstan wrote:Reducing acid is the result of using baking soda,but there are dangers involved such as organ bursting and increased BP.ACV accomplishes the same result w/o those worries!

Gout sufferers might be interested in this link:http://www.gout-aware.com/apple-cider-v ... -gout.html

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » February 8, 2010, 3:24 pm

One of my several afflictions is gout and I take prescribed Probenecid tablets daily for the condition. Doc at AEK monitors with urinalysis/uric acid testing on a regular basis. Works for me.

changnoi66
udonmap.com

Post by changnoi66 » March 17, 2010, 1:18 am

i use a prescribed drug Diclofenac sodium 50mg, taking 1 tablet 3 times a day when i have an attack of gout.
i dont know but maybe if you ask the pharmacist in udon, he may be able to supply you with some, if not then
something similar.

Return to “Health & Beauty”