bank interest rates ,

This section is for general money matters, finance and investing.
hangsaboot
udonmap.com

bank interest rates ,

Post by hangsaboot » February 16, 2010, 6:48 pm

please could you advise me on the best interest rates ,
i can expect on my 800.000 bht .. as per thai goverment requirements ..
for foreigners , living in thailand .

jorg
udonmap.com

Re: bank interest rates ,

Post by jorg » February 16, 2010, 8:04 pm

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » February 17, 2010, 6:11 pm

jorg wrote:Maybe this can help you.

http://www.bot.or.th/English/Statistics ... _Rate.aspx
thanks jorg .
for your good information , and prompt reply . :D

JesusDominga
udonmap.com

Post by JesusDominga » February 19, 2010, 2:50 pm

bank interest rates
I think that can be considered an oxymoron now, sort of like those 'jumbo shrimp' unless they are charging, because they sure aren't giving. May I strongely suggest you spend it, as inflation is higher than anything banks offer, thus you are actually losing money by saving :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I remember Mexico even used to give a token 2-3 for savings account, when my American friend was getting 5 +, but those days are long gone. :pirate: All the charges they add on don't come close to balancing out the interest earned, or not earned in most cases. :evil: :pirate:

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 23, 2010, 4:03 am

The amount he posted is the required amount for a visa. Hence the question of where to park it. He won't be able to touch it, so it makes sense to want to put it where he can get the most that he can.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 23, 2010, 4:07 am

Hmmmm..that raises a question. Has anyone tried depositing their visa money then take out a loan against it to be able to "touch" it?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 23, 2010, 10:28 am

"Hmmmm..that raises a question. Has anyone tried depositing their visa money then take out a loan against it to be able to "touch" it?"

Which would raise another question: If people started taking loans against their savings, would immigration turn around and take counteraction? My point is, whether we agree with the immigration rules or not, they're there for a purpose (and we don't get to vote on what that purpose is). If we try to find workarounds to the rules, wouldn't it be fair for immigration to find ways to stop us from doing so? For example, many people are of the opinion that immigration started the 3month rule (for parking savings in an account) because some people were borrowing money a few days before renewing their visa......then withdrawing the money from their account the day after they obtained their visa.

My humble opinion is, if you don't have the money to meet immigration rules for staying here long term, you shouldn't be staying here long term.

Sorry, I got off the subject of bank interest rates!

wynnsiensheng
udonmap.com

Post by wynnsiensheng » February 23, 2010, 10:44 am

I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to get too clever with your "safe" money. About the best you can do is call in at each of the big 5 Thai banks and ask for their published fixed deposit rates. Interest rates are low at the moment, so they will seem ...umm...low, but that is the current situation and not much can be done about it. There won't be much difference between the banks because they are all operating in the same market place and subject to the same economic realities.

The only "advice" I would like to mention is to not tie up the money for a long time just because the interest rate looks a bit better. General concensus would be that interest rates are as low as they can go and over time will start to rise. So 1 or 3 months fixed term may be better than it currently seems, as interest rates start to go up. The banks know that of course and will be trying to persuade you to tie the money up for 1, 2, 3 years because that is best for them...not you.

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » February 24, 2010, 10:12 am

Try the Kasikorn Bank ,about 1 week ago went in and they had leaflets about getting 5%,but i think you had to lock the money in for a long time,might be worth a look. 8)

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » February 24, 2010, 9:02 pm

If the 5% was real and available to non-Thais (though I think I remember reading a government regulation putting a lid on interest paid to foreigners to discourage speculation on the Baht), I would bring more money into the country to take advantage of the rate. But i would wait until after the 16th...

Return to “Money, Finance & Investing”