Another Military Coup.

Thailand news, views and comments
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Another Military Coup.

Post by parrot » March 16, 2010, 9:09 pm

KD wrote: "If you are barely making THB 250 per day upcountry "

You'd be hard-pressed to find a villager in my area making 250 per day in this area. My gardener's wife just landed a job at a local gas station paying 150 a day. She's very happy to get the job as she was cleaning dishes at a restaurant at Kilo 5 for 120 a day. My gardener worked for a few years as a gardener for a local politician.....he made 3000 baht per month (as recently as last year). A neighbor's son works at a 7-11 downtown.....he drives his motorcycle 42km roundtrip each day....works an 8 hour shift and makes 220 a day. One of the full-time cleaning ladies in the main part of Makro is making 6000 a month after working there for 2 years.

I don't know about your neck of the jungle, but in my area, when I'm out riding my bike, there's a fair share of folks who are living in conditions that haven't much progressed over the last 100 years....save for an electrical line, a tv, and a host of mobile phones (of course!).

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 17, 2010, 3:52 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:
jackspratt wrote: And you know this how? :-k
They told me so and the way they said it and their body language while they were saying it expressed conviction. Sure they'd do the crowd suppression and other crowd control stuff, but if it came down to lethal force against unarmed protesters or protesters chucking only pepper bombs, nah - wouldn't happen. Some might let a few round fly in the air, but not intentionally shoot to injure or kill.
Khondahm, don't have it at my finger tips now but Bkk Post reported that the three Battalions they drew on for this were from the Southern Provinces so there would be no conflict of interest !!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 17, 2010, 3:55 pm

Excellent examples. Appreciated! Others should take note and remember when they hear the media spin about "paying protesters" to protest. Spin often collides with the reality at the heart of the matter.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 17, 2010, 3:58 pm

Aardvark wrote:
KHONDAHM wrote:
jackspratt wrote: And you know this how? :-k
They told me so and the way they said it and their body language while they were saying it expressed conviction. Sure they'd do the crowd suppression and other crowd control stuff, but if it came down to lethal force against unarmed protesters or protesters chucking only pepper bombs, nah - wouldn't happen. Some might let a few round fly in the air, but not intentionally shoot to injure or kill.
Khondahm, don't have it at my finger tips now but Bkk Post reported that the three Battalions they drew on for this were from the Southern Provinces so there would be no conflict of interest !!
Ha! There ya have it! ;)

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 17, 2010, 4:03 pm

Don't tell Jack, he'll be well and truly pissed off ;)

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 17, 2010, 4:14 pm

Aardvark wrote:Don't tell Jack, he'll be well and truly pissed off ;)
Shhhhh...He's having a red shirt bonfire tonight. :-$

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 19, 2010, 5:33 am

I've got a pretty good idea where the money is coming from........http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/3 ... into-rally

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 19, 2010, 5:40 am

Khun Aardvark, we all have a pretty good idea on who is funding the red shirts.

However, there are a few other open questions that could do with answering:

1) Who funded the yellow shirts and their supporters during their demonstrations?

2) Where is the money going that is taken from Thaksin? Who gets what, and why?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 19, 2010, 5:54 am

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 19, 2010, 5:57 am

Tilokarat wrote:Khun Aardvark, we all have a pretty good idea on who is funding the red shirts.

1) Who funded the yellow shirts and their supporters during their demonstrations?

I don't think I'm brave enough to answer those questions on an open forum Uncle Tilo [-(

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 19, 2010, 6:47 am

Sociopath !!! Whatever that is.

Discretion sometimes is the better part of valour, isn't it?

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 19, 2010, 7:00 am

Tilokarat wrote:Khun Aardvark, we all have a pretty good idea on who is funding the red shirts.

Ding! \:D/

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2010, 8:11 am

I imagine a lot of the confiscated money will be applied:

1. to paying the tax and interest on the Shin sale

2. to compensating the various departments and state companies which were damaged (financially) by Thanksin's now proven misuse of his power, to the advantage his own financial interests.

Bingo! \:D/

ps many of the red shirts from my moo baan who went to Bangkok are now back home.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 19, 2010, 8:31 am

Of course, Khun Jack, we would all like that to happen, and, perhaps in an ideal world, it would.

Now, where do you really think that vast amount of that fortune will go? Don't be shy now. 55555

I am not expecting an answer you know. The only realistic one is that provided by Khun Aardvark.

We have been down this yellow shirt...I mean, yellow brick road too many times before.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2010, 8:39 am

Tilokarat wrote:Of course, Khun Jack, we would all like that to happen, and, perhaps in an ideal world, it would.

Now, where do you really think that vast amount of that fortune will go? Don't be shy now. 55555

I am not expecting an answer you know. The only realistic one is that provided by Khun Aardvark.

We have been down this yellow shirt...I mean, yellow brick road too many times before.
It is very "public" money. Tilo, so I would imagine that it's disposition will both be very carefully watched, and accounted for.

Do other monies collected by the courts, either by way of fines or seizure, generally attract such speculation? :-k

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 19, 2010, 9:03 am

Well, keep a close watch and let's all hope that the distribution of funds is as transparent as you suggest.

One is also reminded of that phrase, 'to the victor go the spoils'.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » March 19, 2010, 10:15 am

jackspratt wrote:
Do other monies collected by the courts, either by way of fines or seizure, generally attract such speculation? :-k
I've often wondered where all my parking penalties in London went . :lol:

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 19, 2010, 12:57 pm

Ok, I'll play along. Which companies contracted for "public works for the public good" projects are NOT owned by the Bangkok elite? Their sub-contractors and suppliers?

I passed the CPA exam long ago and had more than my share of forensic accounting engagements as a young'un (don't do it anymore, though), and can tell you that it is all too easy to legally and legitimately funnel the money to all the "right people" in full public view. In the States, there are numerous vehicles used from PACs, to no-bid contracts, to community improvement grants, to social welfare programs, to the "Good 'ole Boys" network, and more.

How it will be done is debatable. That it will be done is a certainty when talking REAL money.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2010, 1:38 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:Ok, I'll play along. Which companies contracted for "public works for the public good" projects are NOT owned by the Bangkok elite? Their sub-contractors and suppliers?
Well of course Shin Corp - it was previously owned by the Chiang Mai elite.

That was before that "elite" had the laws changed to his own personal advantage, and sold the company without payment of the due taxes. Plus numerous other dodgy deals that advantaged Shin Corp.

There is a big difference in being Prime Minister, and conducting dodgy deals because you can get into the public pocket, and being a dodgy business owner.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » March 19, 2010, 3:49 pm

They've not come to grips with terms like conflicts of interest or setting up blind trusts.

Do you think the current government isn't shady dealing?

Return to “Thailand News”