Temporary Thai worker murdered.

General Udon Thani topics only!
dougness
udonmap.com

Temporary Thai worker murdered.

Post by dougness » June 8, 2010, 9:18 am

Hi,just reading the morning paper in my city and I noticed a murder of a Thai welder working here on a contract.According to the story two fellow workers were robbed near their house by six thugs.They were followed by the Thugs to their house,two of their Thai buddies came out to help them and one was fatally stabbed.This happened near a trendy avenue in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada.The Thai was at the end of his contract and due to come back to Thailand.I feel way safer almost anywhere in Thailand than here in Edmonton.

homer
udonmap.com

Re: Temporary Thai worker murdered.

Post by homer » June 10, 2010, 1:40 am

dougness wrote:Hi,just reading the morning paper in my city and I noticed a murder of a Thai welder working here on a contract.According to the story two fellow workers were robbed near their house by six thugs.They were followed by the Thugs to their house,two of their Thai buddies came out to help them and one was fatally stabbed.This happened near a trendy avenue in Edmonton,Alberta,Canada.The Thai was at the end of his contract and due to come back to Thailand.I feel way safer almost anywhere in Thailand than here in Edmonton.
Couldn't agree with you more Doug! Street crime in Edmonton is running rampant and has become especially bad over the years in the area where Sudanseh was killed. Personally, I can't wait to get the hell out of here and take up fulltime residence in Udon.
What's particularly sad is that he loved being here and thought Edmonton was great. He was only 37 yrs. old. Such an senseless tragedy! :( The Alberta Thai Association and Treasury Branch(provincial bank) have set up a fund to raise money for Apichat Sudanseh's family and to ship his body back to Thailand. My heart goes out to his family. [-o<

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 10, 2010, 8:16 pm

Here's my take on the big difference between the crime rate in Canada/US and Udon is:
In Canada/US you'll see all the crime prominently displayed on TV and in the papers. In Udon, unless you read or are able to understand spoken Thai on TV, you probably won't be aware of what's happening unless you hear about it from others. A neighborhood cook (who was 'supposedly' a drug dealer) was shot point blank 10 feet from where I was sitting. When I reported it to the village cop, the cop shrugged his shoulders (This from Taksin's reign of terror on drug dealers). Last year my gardener was beat to a pulp by a gang of kids at a Loi Kratung festival. Witnessed by many people....but no one held accountable.
You won't read about these two incidents because they weren't reported in the local paper.
I'm not saying the crime rate here is any better or worse than anywhere else. But don't be fooled into thinking there's no crime here. It could be worse than what you're experiencing now......but you won't know it when you live here.
Ignorance is bliss........ไม่รู้อะไรสบาย

homer
udonmap.com

Post by homer » June 13, 2010, 3:42 am

Just read that they caught the guy who stabbed and killed Sudanseh. =D> Apparently, this lowlife has had a number of run-ins with the law prior to this. The paper said he had, most recently, been sentenced to 14 months in jail just 4 months ago. :shock: WTF??? :confused: Why was this guy even out on the street to begin with?

Parrot: Respectfully, I'm not so naive to think that there's no crime in Thailand. A co-worker and acquaintance of mine was killed in LOS just last year. My point was that violent crime has at least doubled and perhaps tripled over the last 12 yrs. in Edmonton, and frankly I don't feel safe here anymore. I'll take my chances in Thailand.

dougness
udonmap.com

Post by dougness » June 14, 2010, 6:36 am

I'm aware there is lot of crime in Thailand as well.I read a lot of it in the Pattaya daily news and the Phuket gazette.A lot of the murders in Thailand are over bad business deals,where one party has cheated their partners.A lot of the crime in Edmonton is done by drug addicts,who don't care about the consequences of their actions.And criminals know that they will only get a slap on the wrist here.If you are careful where you go in Udon or other places in Thailand,you can avoid trouble.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”