"newbies" on Udonmap - Welcome or not?

General Udon Thani topics only!
arjay
udonmap.com

Re: "newbies" on Udonmap - Welcome or not?

Post by arjay » August 31, 2010, 10:46 pm

Dermot (and others) you make comments which suggest Mods only caution Newbies. There are many things which go on behind the scenes that you and most posters are not aware of. And there is more than one way to make a point, or skin a cat (choose your phrase to suit). Just because you don't see sledgehammers being used for cracking nuts, doesn't mean that matters aren't addressed or followed through, in an appropriate way. Some make their points a lot more subtly than others. :-k ;)

To put my other point a little more directly, as you seem to prefer the direct approach, (as I said before) Newbies would gain more acceptance if they were not so contentious, aggressive or argumentative (particularly in their first few posts). :-k

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 31, 2010, 10:52 pm

Aarjay, i agree with you 100% but go back and look if was the instigator or the responder.....

Your comments are well recieved arjay and please dont think they are not but in the spirit of fairness to everyone new and old posters alike, I only responded to a very silly post that was meant to anger. The same poster has now started again on the same thread. He doesnt seem to want to add to the debate just point out things that he perceives Ive said wrong. H doesnt add to anything, he takes away. if you dont believe me just look at he post he made today on my thread!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 31, 2010, 11:12 pm

There are many things which go on behind the scenes that you and most posters are not aware of. And there is more than one way to make a point, or skin a cat (choose your phrase to suit). Just because you don't see sledgehammers being used for cracking nuts, doesn't mean that matters aren't addressed or followed through, in an appropriate way. Some make their points a lot more subtly than others.
Dermot, may I draw your attention to the above part of my previous quote. Please keep that in mind.

A wise older member once said to me if someone is troubling you, don't reply, - starve them of oxygen. I ask you both to keep that in mind.

In the meantime, I'm off to bed now, my wife went more than an hour ago. :-"

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » August 31, 2010, 11:20 pm

Have a good sleep arjay and Ill do what you suggest, Cheers

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » September 1, 2010, 5:08 am

Dermot, why do you feel the need to reply with puerile statements just because somebody disagree's with you?
DermotC wrote:is it possible to get any further up his backside?
Well at least I'm not up my own...touche :lol:

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 1, 2010, 5:11 am

hahahahhahaahahahahhahah, your so funny! How long did it take you to think up that? All day? You name says it all! bye bye little man

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » September 1, 2010, 5:16 am

Being an irishman I thought you would recognise the name of a really good dublin band!!...and I'm not so little!

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 1, 2010, 5:50 am

Ok then fatty! What is is exactly you want?

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » September 1, 2010, 6:03 am

I didn't say I was fat...nothing that you can give me!

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 1, 2010, 6:09 am

Damn rite!

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » September 1, 2010, 6:10 am

oooohh handbags at dawn....how very grown up [-X

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » September 1, 2010, 6:54 am

C'mon gentlemen, I like most others come to UM to read some of the posts and reply's. I find some to be hilarious and others to be informative and still others downright boring to me but the constant bickering and backbiting really turns me off and I'm quite sure it's the same way to many others. If someone doesn't like the topic another person posts or thinks it's idiotic then why reply with some sarcastic comment? I can see that happening if the post is generally insulting to all members but otherwise if you have nothing positive and intelligent to add then read and move on. As far as the responders go, do as Arjay suggests and starve them of oxygen by shining them on. Responding only makes their day and it takes two to argue. As far as Petemc goes, he was wrong in several areas so I can see why he got banned. He only wanted to hear what he wanted to hear and then argued about it if he didn't.
If those that only want to use this forum to vent their anger and frustration with themselves? why don't you start yourselves another forum called the "Old Crotchety Men's Club" or something to that effect and then you can fire away at each other to your hearts content.
And DermotC, you're not helping your cause by playing their game. I can understand where your coming from but your reply's are like trying to put out a fire by throwing gasoline on it or by being antagonistic. You do seem like you want to have the last word but that's not going to happen, no disrespect intended.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » September 1, 2010, 7:04 am

virginprune wrote:Dermot, why do you feel the need to reply with puerile statements just because somebody disagree's with you?
DermotC wrote:is it possible to get any further up his backside?
:lol:
hahahahhahaahahahahhahah, your so funny! How long did it take you to think up that? All day? You name says it all! bye bye little man
Addressing the topic:

I see these type of remarks by a ''newbie'' as arrogant,contentious and improper etiquette to get welcoming responses from regular forum posters!

When challenged,(even tested when you are new)to respond like that with name calling,will not endear a newbie to the forum!If the attitude is''I don't care'',then I would also question the motive behind the title post by a newbie!Was it a serious topic of inquiry,or a topic to develop contentious posts in order to argue,a form of trolling?

Most people would not act out in such a manner upon meeting a new group of people ,in person! :confused:

Fluster
udonmap.com

Post by Fluster » September 1, 2010, 7:12 am

[background=][/background]
old-timer wrote: I would say that all newcomers are welcome on Udon Map providing they are not homos and start crying when they don't get the response they are looking for.

OT........... \:D/
As a newbie, postingwise, I have read with interest some of the posts on here. Most of the responders make good points.
It takes all sorts to make an interesting forum, and no matter who you "vote for" you are welcome, or should be.
OT, we'll have to meet and have a drink or 3. We can talk about WFBs. (well fit boys).

Funman
udonmap.com

Post by Funman » September 1, 2010, 8:18 am

"When challenged,(even tested when you are new)to respond like that with name calling,will not endear a newbie to the forum!If the attitude is''I don't care'',then I would also question the motive behind the title post by a newbie!Was it a serious topic of inquiry,or a topic to develop contentious posts in order to argue,a form of trolling?

"Most people would not act out in such a manner upon meeting a new group of people ,in person!"

I agree with you Stan but it works both ways, especially the sentence above.Would a new group of people talk to someone in a disrespectful or antagonistic fashion during the first meeting or for that matter at anytime at all? Let's be sensible here. In this world you get what you give and what goes around comes around.
The part about "being tested" why does that have to be? Does being "new" mean a person has to go through some sort of hazing by the "established" members here in order to be accepted? Is this the Udon Thani expat sorority? There is no reason for people new or old to act immature here and name calling is immature. If a person lashes out from the get go then it's a free fire zone but not until then. Everyone on this site should be treated with respect.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » September 1, 2010, 8:25 am

FM,I obviously said it wrong!my ''testing'' was related to trolling possibilities!You are,IMO,absolutely correct!

For me,and preferably so,most of the regular posters are not anonymous to me as this forum,for me has been part of face to face socializing also!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » September 1, 2010, 5:02 pm

Fluster wrote:[background=][/background]
old-timer wrote: I would say that all newcomers are welcome on Udon Map providing they are not homos and start crying when they don't get the response they are looking for.

OT........... \:D/
As a newbie, postingwise, I have read with interest some of the posts on here. Most of the responders make good points.
It takes all sorts to make an interesting forum, and no matter who you "vote for" you are welcome, or should be.
OT, we'll have to meet and have a drink or 3. We can talk about WFBs. (well fit boys).
Ahh, someone who finally understands O/T \:D/ :D Gay Boy :D

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 1, 2010, 8:27 pm

I noticed nkstand left out half of the quote from virginprune when he decides to take me to task again!

DermotC
udonmap.com

Post by DermotC » September 1, 2010, 9:44 pm

Funman - Voice of reason in a sea of dross(This Thread) Thank you

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 1, 2010, 10:14 pm

I'll try and avoid digging a hole for myself here, but I'd like to try and make the point (which may overlap with what Stan was trying to convey earlier) that I think there is indeed a degree of testing/challenging/questionning posters on the forum, and inevitably so. (depending on your definition of the word word "testing").

For example, it is not uncommon that a vague or potentially ambiguous question is posed and sometimes members question the poster to seek to ascertain the exact meaning and context of the question. Similarly if it is felt that a poster hasn't given proper thought to his question, or is just being provocative, it may on occasions be bounced back at him, to check that he's thought it through or to clarify what he really meant. I think such things are understandable on a predominantly adult forum.

There is also a tendency for some questions to be presented as broad brush generalisations and again, there are several existing members who understandably tend to take issue with generalisations, and may well challenge the poster to clarify or explain.

I don't believe anyone sets out to make a Newbie or indeed anyone else's life difficult. ;)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”