mobile broadband dongles in udon/ bandung areas

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
easterneye
udonmap.com

mobile broadband dongles in udon/ bandung areas

Post by easterneye » September 16, 2010, 3:09 am

Hi can anyone tell me of a Company supplying mobile broadband dongles for this area , and give an idea of price / monthly usage allowance ,thankyou very much.

I have used a friends one in Khampaengphet area ( I think it was Vodaphone ) and I have to say I was very impressed with the performance of it .

virginprune
udonmap.com

Re: mobile broadband dongles in udon/ bandung areas

Post by virginprune » September 16, 2010, 4:02 am

My g/f was running a DTAC one for a while...I cannot remember how much she paid poss about 200bt for 60 hours then 50 satang for every minute over...I believe that you can get unlimited for around 700bt monthly...she used it while she worked in Sakon Nakhon for a few months but we have gone back to wifi now which is a better signal...I think they are good if you move around a lot but if you are static I would stick with the normal broadband...that is just my opinion based on my and my g/f experience...good luck :D

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 16, 2010, 6:21 am

The best you can hope for in the Ban Dung area is GPRS. One can use either a dedicated modem or interface through their mobile phone. My monthly package with AIS costs 350 Baht + VAT for 100 Hours. They have several up to unlimited time for 999 Baht + VAT. The 56Kb connection speed with GPRS is not great but works fine for me.

One of our favorite members (Mighty Chang) tried the JSat satellite system but it sucked big time, the smallest of clouds would knock it out.

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » September 16, 2010, 7:25 am

CAT 3G say that if you are within 15klms of Udon you can receive their signal. 850thb a month unlimited and UPTO 3.1 mbps.AIS say 3G coming soon but they have been saying that for over a year now.
Dongle costs about 6000thb.

Little Italian Udon
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Little Italian Udon » September 16, 2010, 9:45 am

I pay with dtac 190 xmonth and i have 100 hours.Internet fast enough. This lasts for 3 months and then you unsuscribe and start again.

easterneye
udonmap.com

Post by easterneye » September 16, 2010, 11:14 am

Thanks for all the replies some usefull info here to mull over ,,,,,,,,,,,,mabe I should have explained a little better ,the reason I would like to go the mobile dongle route is because 80% of the week we will be in Udon city area ,, then 20% a bit further afield in the Ban Dung area ,, I do know there is a very fast line service available in the Ban Dung area now as one of sister in laws videos on MSN with us here in the UK and its incredible the connection.
Any way thanks again all you guys for the help

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 16, 2010, 11:31 am

easterneye wrote:I do know there is a very fast line service available in the Ban Dung area now as one of sister in laws videos on MSN with us here in the UK and its incredible the connection.
JackSpratt is away at the moment but I'm sure if he were here he would dispute that!

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » September 16, 2010, 7:47 pm

i have a brand new in the box 3g dongle.it cost me 30pound to unlock it.if anyone wants it.3000bht i have 2 thats why i am selling 1

easterneye
udonmap.com

Post by easterneye » September 16, 2010, 11:58 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
easterneye wrote:I do know there is a very fast line service available in the Ban Dung area now as one of sister in laws videos on MSN with us here in the UK and its incredible the connection.
JackSpratt is away at the moment but I'm sure if he were here he would dispute that!
well she is a little up the road from BD she is in Ban Pak and I can find out for sure but I think she uses TOT hi speed ,, but its through the wire ,ok hope that clears that up ,,,,, but I can assure you it works as we chat at least 2-3 times a week on it ,cheers for now

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » September 17, 2010, 11:10 am

CAT stops 3G license auction:http://www.bahtsold.com/news?id=3017

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 17, 2010, 12:31 pm

Yep a court injunction stops the 3G roll out here (even now expecting to take 3 -4 years) to keep Thailands 3rd world status in order.

What a joke!

bristolsystems
udonmap.com

Post by bristolsystems » September 21, 2010, 7:23 am

i got some unlocked dongles from the UK they work fine over here if you want one (there new three ones) can have one for 1500bht ive used one for a some time with AIS (the only network where i am outside ban muang) its a usable speed i get about 200k download and about 100k upload so better than a dial up modem not quick enough for video streaming but you can make skype calls etc with it

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » September 21, 2010, 12:41 pm

If you do not need a fast connection,just use your mobile phone especially if it is EDGE capable.

dake333
udonmap.com

Post by dake333 » September 22, 2010, 6:24 pm

CAT CDMA Dongle is the best. was 6500 baht and 845 baht a month with the first 3 months free. By far a lot quicker than them sim card pieces of nonsense.Mine is a novatel wireless MC 750. Unlimited hours per month. Other hourly plans are available.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 22, 2010, 7:45 pm

Everywhere else in the world, including third world countries, providers are racing to get the fourth generation of mobile internet available to its customers.
Ban Dung ? Is Ban Dung full of Gypsies ?

OT............. \:D/

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » September 23, 2010, 5:52 am

old-timer wrote:Everywhere else in the world, including third world countries, providers are racing to get the fourth generation of mobile internet available to its customers.
Ban Dung ? Is Ban Dung full of Gypsies ?

OT............. \:D/
Another waste of bandwidth created by the 'dribble' forth coming from this pee brain. :confused:

BenDover

Post by BenDover » October 21, 2010, 5:12 pm

TicToc wrote:CAT 3G say that if you are within 15klms of Udon you can receive their signal. 850thb a month unlimited and UPTO 3.1 mbps.AIS say 3G coming soon but they have been saying that for over a year now.
Dongle costs about 6000thb.
Do you mean to tell me that CAT have 3G in Udon. =D>
I will need to look into this we get back to Thailand as we are only 4klm over the ring road, getting a phone line is proving a bit slow and 3BB says we are not in their area yet.
I think I will go and get myself an unlocked Dongle also a Yagi as I get a crap signal on my phone.

Anybody know what frequency they use for 3G in Thailand as in the UK its 2100 Mhz

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 21, 2010, 6:01 pm

I thought that the issue of 3G licenses was halted in Thailand, just as it was going to happen in September, due to legal hangups about which body had authority to accept tenders & award licenses.
I believe that a new Telecoms Body authorised for issuing the 3G licenses to the winning bidders now has to be set up before the auction can take place & the licenses issued.
From readings elsewhere I thought the legislation to the setting up of the body will be passed later this year but it will probably be next year before the body is physically in place...

BenDover

Post by BenDover » October 21, 2010, 6:05 pm

I thought It was to good to be true :crying:

TicToc
udonmap.com

Post by TicToc » October 21, 2010, 6:29 pm

I am using CAT 3G now BenDover. If you open an account at the Udon Office,they will sell you the dongle (Novatel Wireless)
for about 6000baht. I have been using mine for over a year now,not high speed but better than anything else as we have no phone line and are out in the sticks. I believe it is 2100 mghz.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”