Norman Wisdom Dies

World news discussion forum
mally
udonmap.com

Norman Wisdom Dies

Post by mally » October 5, 2010, 5:55 am

(Sir) Norman Wisdom passed away today, aged 95, a sad loss to comedy.
I am one of the older generation of brits who grew up with his hilarious antics, I suppose he was very much a "Love Him or Hate Him" comedian, but for me he was one of the greatest, who never had to resort to filth or even bad language to make his act funny.
RIP Norman, I'll still be a fan and will watch your dated but hilarious performances.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Re: Norman Wisdom Dies

Post by Chriss » October 5, 2010, 9:40 am

Mr Grimsdale !!!!!!!

DGPW

Post by DGPW » October 5, 2010, 9:44 am

I whole heartedly agree, although I recall him as being only a much loved and admired entertainer.
My fondest memory was attending one of his first apearances at the London Palladium, whilst I was studying in the UK. He started me laughing to such a degree that I slipped off my seat. Noting my predicament he 'played off' me, keeping me anchored helplessly on the floor in paroxyisms of laughter, much to the glee of the audience.
Incidentally, he wasn't a bad boxer, either.
PS. You must be really, really, old Mally!!!!!

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » October 5, 2010, 10:02 am

"Don't laugh at me cause I'm a fool" Anyone remember that song ? Well I met the man outside of his stage persona and he was nobodys fool . Which makes his acting ability all the more incredible . Rest in peace, little man .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

changnoi66
udonmap.com

Post by changnoi66 » October 5, 2010, 9:42 pm

R.I.P. Sir Norman :cry:

a true comedy genius =D> =D>

only good thing about being in england is there will be reruns of his films on telly cant wait :lol: :lol: :lol:

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » October 6, 2010, 12:31 am

changnoi66 wrote:only good thing about being in england is there will be reruns of his films on telly cant wait
Me also, sky plus box at the ready to record them all.
DGPW wrote:You must be really, really, old Mally!!!!!
Well sort of, if you're counting years,,,,,,,,,,, but as they say, "you're only as old as the girl you feel" :oops: ! , that's why I love Thailand so much, I'm a youngster again ! \:D/ Life in the old dog yet !

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 6, 2010, 10:01 am

RIP Mr. Wisdom.
I must admit I was not a fan of his style of comedy, although many, obviously were.
I can remember a television interview (possibly the Newsnight one mentioned below) a few years back discussing with him his 'star status' in Albania. He seemed a very pleasant & decent individual with none of the 'side' about him or self importance that television/screen personalities too often have.
Wisdom was a cult figure in Albania, where he was one of the few Western actors whose films were allowed in the country during the dictatorship of Enver Hoxha. He was known as "Mr Pitkin" after the Gump character from his films. In 1995, he visited the post-Stalinist country where, to his surprise, he was greeted by many appreciative fans including the then President of Albania, Sali Berisha. During this trip, Wisdom was also filmed by Newsnight visiting a children's project funded by ChildHope UK. On a visit in 2001, which coincided with the England football team playing Albania in the city of Tirana (of which Wisdom was granted the freedom in 1995),his presence at the training ground eclipsed even that of David Beckham. He appeared on the pitch before the start of the Albania v England match wearing a half Albanian and half English football shirt. He was well-received by the crowd, especially when he performed one of his trademark trips on his way out to the centre circle.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 6, 2010, 11:03 am

Although living on the Isle of Man, I only met Norman Wisdom once (before he was knighted) at a golf charity event.

He was a much loved and respected star of the old school who (quietly?) did a lot of work for many charities - he will be greatly missed by those who grew up with his films (apart from those who have had a successful humour bypass operation).

There is a small official website on Sir Norman Wisdom:
Statue of Sir Norman Wisdom outside a bar named in his honour at the Sefton Hotel, Douglas (from allvoices.com).
  • Sir Norman Wisdom.jpg

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » October 6, 2010, 2:07 pm

Norman Wisdom was a great comedy actor and an always decent bloke. He made 22 films, 19 as Pitken. It is wonderful how popular he was in Albania where the communist regime allowed his films when most western films were banned. He was awarded the Freedom of Tirana and was mobbed in a visit there in 1995. When he got knighted in 2000, as he walked away from the queen, he pretended to trip, giving the queen, and all of us, another laugh! :D

Banjo
udonmap.com
Location: Surfing with Eudyptula minor, shooting vermin or philandering in a Soi

Post by Banjo » October 6, 2010, 2:25 pm

It is particularly sad to hear of the passing of Sir Norman Wisdom who was not only a wonderful entertainer, but an absolute gentleman to all and generous philanthropist to those less fortunate. Norman and elder brother Fred had a tumultuous childhood with their parents separating while Norman was 9 years old so they understood 'hard times' well.

I was fortunate to meet this great man at a few non publicised family events in Australia in the mid 70's. At the time, I was going out with Normans niece Trisha Wisdom who was a delightful lass and loved a wrestle \:D/ . Trisha was absolutely gorgeous with a high intellect wit and liked to be a bit naughty at times. In retrospect, maybe I should have married her :roll: but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then. The whole family were the utmost down to earth, welcoming and caring people one could wish to meet. Norman enjoyed travelling, particularly in cognito, to the family in Australia and loved many an Aussie BBQ together with lots of fun and laughs. Norman and my father had many similarites in their lives and thus became good friends - they often talked about the old life in England, life in the Defence Force during WWII and their great love of boxing. My father passed away in 2000 and this saddened Norman who rang my mother to offer his sympathy - it was a kind gesture from a very kind man. Dad and Norman will no doubt catch up for many more chin wags if there is an after life.

Norman ... thank you for the memories and you will always be remembered.

God rest his soul.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » October 23, 2010, 10:46 am

A public funeral to honour Sir Norman was held yesterday, from BBC News:
NW Funeral.jpg

Bilko
udonmap.com

Post by Bilko » October 23, 2010, 12:04 pm

I will never forget a sketch in one of his films where he impersonated a german officer during WW11, he did a piano & song duet with the late Hatty Jakes. Christ it was funny.
R I P Sir Norm

ScorpioPower
udonmap.com

Post by ScorpioPower » October 24, 2010, 7:54 am

It did bring a tear to my eye when I heard about Norman passing away.

The first of the greats was Charlie Chaplin, although my own personal faves will always be Laurel & Hardy, and the last of the greats has now left the house and at a great age, too.

Anything else now is just a copy or updated version of one of the greats.

Nuff said.

Return to “World News”