Thailands 13 most repulsive dishes.

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 19, 2011, 12:14 pm

Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes
Live shrimp, fermented oysters and red ants. Even Thais have trouble stomaching some of the country's most notorious delicacies

Read more: Yucky or what? Thailand's 13 most totally and utterly repulsive dishes | CNNGo.com http://www.cnngo.com/bangkok/eat/thaila ... z1PhCvISZ9

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » June 19, 2011, 12:59 pm

I'am suprised theres only 13 ! Must be hundreds more .

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 19, 2011, 1:14 pm

An interesting line-up of Thai food. I've eaten 9 of the 13 dishes. Have never eaten #3-Sam Tam Hoy, #4-Gong Chae Nam Pla, #7-Kai Khao or #9-Baak Bpet. #6-Yam Kai Yeow Maa and #13 Mor Hauk, I ate only once and have never tried again. The rest I've eaten when it was served but admittedly in small amounts and with lots of Khao Nieo.

The durin, stinky beans and grasshoppers are farily common at our house. Of course they are not something I bring home. Last night, the wife had bamboo shoots with cooked up with little frogs. I ate just a little. It was just okay.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 19, 2011, 1:27 pm

Your a braver man than me Shado. I can honestly say I haven't tried one of them. :-& :-& :-&

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 19, 2011, 2:12 pm

I don't see what's revolting about Gung Chae Nam Pla, it's only raw fresh prawn in a spicy sauce, I quite like it. The Japanese have plenty of raw seafood on their menus.

Somtam is quite nice without the fermented fish sauce IMO (Dam Thai) and the fried insects are quite good also. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try the others though.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » June 19, 2011, 2:24 pm

lee wrote:I don't see what's revolting about Gung Chae Nam Pla, it's only raw fresh prawn in a spicy sauce,.
It's not so much revolting as it is like playing Russian roulette. After OT tried this he was admitted to hospital for a few days with food poisoning. Though I only had myself to blame as I made it. The babysitter ate some and she was fine.

OT.............. \:D/

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 19, 2011, 2:56 pm

Yes true, same applies with any raw dish I guess.

OK speaking of revolting dishes how about Cow Placenta Soup, my better half thinks it's delicious. It's probably nutritious but I wouldn't want to eat it. :-&

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 19, 2011, 3:22 pm

Yeah, the cow placenta is something I cannot bring myself to eat. My wife's elderly father liked it very much. We would go to Ban Hoi market and buy them. The wife had a styrofoam cooler and she would ice down the placenta for the trip to the village. She and her sister would prepare the thing and the old man would lap it up.

Same for the unborn baby calf. The fetus would weigh only a kilo or two but would have the head, body and all four legs. The old man would request this dish every couple of months or so. I think the old people especially like these sort of foods because they are supposed to have curative powers. I've tried a lot of Thai (Isaan) foods but the fetus and the placenta are a couple that I have completely passed on. The wife's father passed away one month shy of his 91st birthday. That ain't too bad for a Thai rice farmer.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » June 19, 2011, 3:32 pm

I had a pop at my missus recently cos she was sat outside the shop with a couple of her mates eating some of the ransid stuff you mentioned , somtam balar with fermented (rotting) fish and some other stuff that smelt like the arse end of a dustbin lorry , i commented on the smell and that a thousand flies had descended on the table (they all cant be wrong can they) and they all replied ooooh sepp sepp illee der ,,,,,,, followed by a smart jibe from our lass OH WELL YOU EAT THAT GREEN MOULDY STILTON CHEESE !! , suffice to say that remark got her a good kicking after we closed .

One that does amuse is that whilst ating it they always say how delicious it is and smack there lips and sweat ,, but this is quickly forgotten when they are on the bog winging that theyve got stomach ache ........ and the Sh*ts .

Only an observation.... is it me or have i been here too long ????

Mash.

ScorpioPower
udonmap.com

Post by ScorpioPower » June 20, 2011, 10:38 am

I like raw ant eggs!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » June 20, 2011, 11:19 am

I avoid most Thai food, and stick to what my stomach knows best.
Good British tucker.
I did not come 6000 miles to eat stuff that looks and smells like road kill.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 20, 2011, 11:49 am

Talking of smelly stuff, I’m fairly sure that many Thai people would be just as turned off by some of the cheeses that are so popular with many westerners.

As a reminder here is an article on the “Top 10 Stinky Cheeses in the World” it includes this delightful mouthwatering preamble to the article
There are many types of stinky cheeses in the world and they all smell so bad that they make your dirty socks smell like expensive cologne.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 20, 2011, 4:15 pm

I have Eaten a Half a Dozen of those Cheeses, absolutely Beautiful =D> Tried a couple of those Thai dishes as well with mixed results =P~

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » June 20, 2011, 4:35 pm

Like Aardvark, I've eaten at least a half dozen of those cheeses (not sure about Stinking Bishop, but pretty sure about that one also) and I love them all. Actually, Pont l’Eveque is one of my all-time favorites and although smelly, the taste is sublime! I'm a bit surprised that Camembert is listed so high on the stinky list.

I used to have problems finding good "stinky" cheese in Udon but now with the selection at Udon Delise I make regualar stops there to satisfy my craving for really good cheese. I should think that Gorgonzola would have made the list as well but perhaps there were already enough bleu cheeses named.

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » June 22, 2011, 2:14 am

I don't even eat rice.If it's not western food I won't eat it.And much western food I don't eat either.I carry peanut butter with me.

wayne747
udonmap.com

Post by wayne747 » June 22, 2011, 2:26 pm

I have tried a few, like the fried crickets too.

Try serving a thai liquorice, they run away gagging

chedd44
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by chedd44 » June 25, 2011, 10:10 am

lee wrote:I don't see what's revolting about Gung Chae Nam Pla, it's only raw fresh prawn in a spicy sauce, I quite like it. The Japanese have plenty of raw seafood on their menus.

Somtam is quite nice without the fermented fish sauce IMO (Dam Thai) and the fried insects are quite good also. I don't think I'd be brave enough to try the others though.
Both of those dishes are fab , I love the flavour of prawn ...had them yesterday whilst living it up next to the mekong

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » June 25, 2011, 12:49 pm

Thailand's 14th most repulsive dish.
I saw this the other day and was quite put off:

Come on Brits. Really? I like beans, I like toast, but together looks like something I might do if I was drunk, hungry, and to lazy to go to the store! Guess we all have different tastes!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 25, 2011, 12:55 pm

Good Farting Material :razz:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 25, 2011, 1:08 pm

Jello wrote: Guess we all have different tastes!
Too true Jello. I would have "grits" as my number 14. :D

Return to “Open Forum”