Update on shipping from the US

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 18, 2012, 2:23 pm

Well some consistency in the last two shipments.

Both large boxes. Both originate in the US. Both shipped via USPS. Both through merchants via Ebay. Both arrived at the house within about 2 weeks of ordering and NO VAT. A third very small package is expected. We'll see what that brings.

The large box that arrived today looked like a pack of soi dogs got it. The postal service had the entire box wrapped in thick clear visqueen to keep things together. The contents of the box were still bagged in their original packaging and unharmed.

Two down and one more to go of similar status.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 26, 2012, 4:41 pm

New wrinkle.

The last packages that came from friends (not companies and not through Ebay) included a VAT.

One came today from a relative with motorcycle parts. It came straight to the house with a Thai address label through USPS. NO VAT.

I'm happy, but I wish I could figure out the system. Maybe I've met my deductible for the year. :lol: :lol: :lol:

randerson79
udonmap.com

Post by randerson79 » April 26, 2012, 5:18 pm

I know this sounds weird, but I have my family in California ship my packages on Tuesday afternoon. They hit BKK on the weekend. It seems to me that the chances of getting hit with a VAT have been lower. And if I do get nailed with a VAT it seems to be lower. Maybe lower staffing levels? But it could just be my imagination. :-k

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 27, 2012, 1:37 am

randerson79 wrote:I know this sounds weird, but I have my family in California ship my packages on Tuesday afternoon. They hit BKK on the weekend. It seems to me that the chances of getting hit with a VAT have been lower. And if I do get nailed with a VAT it seems to be lower. Maybe lower staffing levels? But it could just be my imagination. :-k
That is definitely worth a try, randerson79. You might be onto something.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 30, 2012, 3:47 pm

We're back to inconsistency. :lol:

Small package came Friday from the US via Ebay merchant through the USPS. 531 baht VAT. The smallest of the three packages ordered. A component no bigger than an Oreo cookie.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » April 30, 2012, 4:44 pm

Can someone advise - Is there a USPS office/agent in Udon that deals with packages or is everything directed through the Thai main postal office? ta vely much 8)

Looks like some get delivered according to posters, but if you are out,are they obliged to leave a note saying unable to deliver?

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » April 30, 2012, 5:29 pm

There is a large receiving facility on Highway 2 on the way to Khon Kaen and just outside Udon. Most packages arrive there before coming to the main post office in Udon.

I don't recall if I've ever gotten a notice for a package that didn't have a VAT if I wasn't home. Of course, I always get a notice when there is a VAT. They want their money. :lol: :lol: :lol:

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » May 1, 2012, 12:53 am

Thanks for that,the dreaded VAT. [-(

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 21, 2012, 6:21 pm

Ebay is turning into a very safe way to go. Many of the vendors use the postal services of their home countries, and I have been receiving the ordered items at the house with NO VAT.

The latest two were both from the UK through Ebay. Both small packages addressed to me at the house and came via the UK postal service. Arrived in about 7 days and NO VAT.
=D>

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 23, 2012, 6:57 pm

Ricohoc wrote:It only takes a short time to realize that nothing is consistent here -- for yourself or from expat to expat. The conditions and "rules" change by the minute and the hour and the person.

Where shipping is concerned, UPS and FedEx is not the way to go to have anything shipped to you here in Thailand -- unless you're independently wealthy and willing to pay Customs twice what the items are worth. They routinely hold your packages in BKK and want their money.

In the past 18 months, I've had items shipped International Express through the USPS, had an address label in Thai addressed to my wife, and the packages came directly to the house in 5 or 6 days. This was the case for anything and everything that could be shipped legally.

That changed this month. I am now in Day 12 waiting for two International Express shipped packages from the US. They have been tracked to Customs in BKK and have been sitting there for 10 days -- no explanation. My days of spending big money to have things shipped here in quick fashion are over. If I have to wait this long for things that I need to meet a deadline, I just as soon have them sent through regular first class mail and wait.

Of course, you, or even I, may have a different experience tomorrow. :D
I have conssitently been nailed 20-% on any motorcycle parts I have ordered, both throuhg UPS and DHL.

Have not tried the mail yet, sounds like you got a gambling chance there :lol:

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » May 25, 2012, 6:01 pm

USPS International Express package, addressed in Thai and sent from a relative. Three used pieces of luggage and two small tool kits. VAT 880 baht.

Someone along the way in the inspection process liked the flashlight enough in one of the tool kits to deprive me of it. First time I've ever had anything stolen along the way. :evil:

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » July 18, 2012, 11:12 am

This may be the wrong post to reply too but I am in need of advice on how to send a letter to a P.O. Box in the US. I have had success with EMS in the past but I have been informed by the PO that they will no longer ship to a PO Box in the US and many other countries. The person I spoke with showed me a memo from the Post Master which confirmed this because I told him I had sent letters to a PO Box in The US, he said cannot do now. He suggested registered mail which I did however, I have no idea if it will get there and know way to find out.

Can anyone offer a solution as to how I can send mail to a PO Box in the US. If I had a relative or friend I could rely on in the US I would have them mail it for me but unfortunately, I do not.

Last time I checked with the major carries (fed-ex, DHL, UPS) they will not ship to a PO Box. I need to get a letter to the Social Security Office in Wilkes Barre PA but cannot find a telephone # or street mailing address. I cannot access the ssa.gov website after numerous attempts. I have sent an email to both embassies in Bangkok and Manila concerning this matter and have yet to hear from them. Help would be greatly appreciated.

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » July 18, 2012, 1:27 pm

LoneTraveler wrote:This may be the wrong post to reply too .
Being this is 'from US' and you want 'To US', yes. Really should start a new post for more answers.

Hard to remember, but I think the last letter I sent to the US needed to go registered mail. Think I asked for EMS, and got something like 'oh you mean registered mail' I replied don't care, just want to mail it. What I sent was a check and deposit slip and about 10 days later it showed up in my balance. So I would expect your letter will get there.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 18, 2012, 2:27 pm

LT the US Embassy in Manila handles all SSA matters for this part of the world, so you should be sending the letter to them, assuming it's regarding a Social Security matter. Or if it really has to go to Wilkes Barre, send the letter to Manila and tell them to forward it to Wilkes Barre. They send stuff all the time I believe by diplomatic pouch. Here is their address:

SSA Division, U.S. EMBASSY
1131 Roxas Blvd.
Manila, Philippines 0930
Tel # 632-301-2416
Fax # 632-522-1514

LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » July 18, 2012, 4:32 pm

Thank you! I contacted the Embassy in Manila and they told me to send the letter regular airmail from Thailand.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 18, 2012, 4:40 pm

I send mail to the US by standard airmail as well as registered airmail. Typical delivery time by standard airmail is 7-10 days. Registered will take longer because it has to be signed for every time it stops or changes hands. To the best of my knowledge I've never lost anything in the mail going or coming to Udon Thani. Registered airmail is more secure and is normally used to send valuables.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Travel & Transport”