Bubba's Bar & Grill (Sponsor)

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » July 26, 2012, 11:19 am

SJP17 wrote:Buttermilk Biscuits , as far as i can see is what we call a scone in the UK , am i right ?
No, I think that's what we call an ENGLISH muffin. ;)

Bubba

Every day I wake up is a good day.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » July 26, 2012, 12:05 pm

Shado wrote:Yep. Chicken fried steak with cream gravy would be a great meal. Real buttermilk biscuits would certainly hit the spot as well. I've looked many times for buttermilk here in Udon but always came up empty. Finally resorted to making my own using one tablespoon of white vinegar to one cup of regular milk. Works okay in recipes.

Funny story about buttermilk. My wife never saw it in America, as I always took the lazy man's way and bought Pillsbury biscuits in the pack you just rap on the edge of the counter to open and prepare. So, using her as an interpreter here, I began my quest in the stores looking for buttermilk... "bad milk", "sour milk", "CHEESY milk"... As I tried harder to descibe it, both she AND the clerks became more antimated. Finally, after giving up and leaving very frustrated, my wife asked me, "why you want to buy BAD milk?"

I've seen 2 other alternatives for buttermilk... adding some cream of tartar, OR just substituting sour cream. I think I'm tempted to try the ladder first. You ever tried this method, KB_Texas?
Also had to make my own country sausage using ground (minced) pork and seasoning it with salt, ground sage, black pepper, cayenne and a little sugar. This makes patty sausage which in turn makes great gravy from the drippings after frying.

Bubba might have to get a little creative but I believe he can come up with a pretty good plate of sausage, biscuits and gravy. It makes a heck of a satisfying breakfast with or without eggs.
We make our own sausage here (patty style breakfast sausage). The pork here is actually very high quality. Higher in fact than what would normally be used to make sausage in America. (got to get rid of all those "by products" as well) We've only had one customer try our sausage with breakfast (most order bacon, omlette, or burrito)... he loved it, and wanted to buy a kilo! I politely told him we just were not set up to do that kind of business here, and he's never been back!

My personal favorite: 2 buttermilk buscuits, halved in a large bowl, smothered with sausage gravy, topped with 2 poached eggs, served with a side of cheese grits and a glass of cold milk. Dammit... now I'm hungry again! AND you now know why I'm 40 kilo overweight :oops:

Bubba

Shado
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by Shado » July 26, 2012, 12:49 pm

BigBubba wrote: "I've seen 2 other alternatives for buttermilk... adding some cream of tartar, OR just substituting sour cream."

Plain yogurt can also be substituted 1:1 or 3/4 cup yogurt + 1/4 cup milk. For use in most recipies I'd just use the substitute that is most available and practical. If you made several batches of biscuits using the various buttermilk substitutes I doubt that you could tell much difference in the final product. Heck, regular old baking powder biscuits are darn good eating.

KB_Texas

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by KB_Texas » July 26, 2012, 1:01 pm

BigBubba wrote: I've seen 2 other alternatives for buttermilk... adding some cream of tartar, OR just substituting sour cream. I think I'm tempted to try the ladder first. You ever tried this method, KB_Texas?
I have tried the sour cream, but never in biscuits, only in pancakes. That sort of worked for pancakes, but based on the one experiment, I would not expect it to work with biscuits. The taste was not the same, even in pancakes, though it did add an interesting 'tartness' to the sweet.

Never tried the cream of tartar, so would not know about that.
My personal favorite: 2 buttermilk buscuits, halved in a large bowl, smothered with sausage gravy, topped with 2 poached eggs, served with a side of cheese grits and a glass of cold milk. Dammit... now I'm hungry again! AND you now know why I'm 40 kilo overweight :oops:
WOW! 2 or 3 biscuits and gravy with a couple of fried eggs over easy is plenty for me. :)

KB

KB_Texas

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by KB_Texas » July 26, 2012, 1:06 pm

Shado wrote: Plain yogurt can also be substituted 1:1 or 3/4 cup yogurt + 1/4 cup milk.
I think this might be closest to the cultured buttermilk (what most buy in stores) in the US.
Heck, regular old baking powder biscuits are darn good eating.
Agree 100%! With sausage gravy, I like either. I do prefer the buttermilk if eating them with butter and jam though. ;)

KB

himmaphan

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by himmaphan » July 27, 2012, 12:43 am

The picture looks real but the taste that more important!

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by Stantheman » July 27, 2012, 4:43 am

When it comes to biscuits and gravy I go along with KB on the sausage gravy with two added things, a breakfast sausage patty on the biscuit then the sausage gravy topped with a scrambled egg along with a side of hash browns with a little gravy on top also. Yum Yum

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by pienmash » July 27, 2012, 4:56 am

BigBubba wrote:
pienmash wrote:
me n the missus are gonna drop by next day or so ,,,,,need to know wot time you close , as when sleepy Nong Sim closes 9 ish ... we will come for a late feed .

mash
10PM... unless the chef/waitress/barmaid/dishwasher/janitor is really tired. If she is, we've been known to pull the shutters 15-20 minutes early... providing no customers left inside of course :lol:

Bubba[/quote

OK Bubba ......il look forward to meet you sir ......... keep the promo going LOVE IT ]

rct
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by rct » July 27, 2012, 5:07 am

Bubba I see you are brainstorming new menu items, and your interest in promoting cocktails and liqueurs, so here is a promotion idea just in from Taiwan (delete post if you deem inappropriate or against rules) though Bubba will understand the connection with a little google search on the drink:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v= ... 6163525822

We'll be back in a couple weeks for "Something Wild."

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Cajun Jambalaya @ Bubba's Bar & Grill...

Post by BigBubba » July 27, 2012, 2:25 pm

... is going fast. Cajun food should be a good fit for the Thais also. It's spicy and most dishes are served with the asian staple food... rice.

Haven't selected a movie for tonight because there seem to be various "pre Olympic" events going on. But as always we'll watch whatever the customer wants.

No photo of Jambalaya available, sorry.

Bubba

tekmo
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by tekmo » July 28, 2012, 10:13 am

talk about cajun.. cajun shrimp sounds good.
like a 1lb of shrimp with some buttery seasoning have it SPICY or NON Spicy.
lol sorry for offtopic, popped in my head when mentioned Cajun.

these new items your coming up with and testing them out sounds delicious!
I cant wait for October to come, so i can come and try some!

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » July 29, 2012, 10:32 am

rct wrote:Bubba I see you are brainstorming new menu items, and your interest in promoting cocktails and liqueurs
Is Hypnotiq available in LOS?
We'll be back in a couple weeks for "Something Wild."
Downloaded it last night.

We have 2 or 3 servings of Cajun Jambalaya left if anybody interested. I have to eat all the left overs, and I'm already over weight! 8-[

Bubba

rct
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by rct » July 29, 2012, 3:44 pm

HPNOTIQ may be in LOS within a few months.....will you try that same promotion idea?

Will be back for "Something Wild" in two weeks, meanhile hi from all four of us - from sunny Phuket!

Shado
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by Shado » July 29, 2012, 4:58 pm

From Lee's original post of 10 April. "Hours of business: Wednesday - Sunday 9AM-10PM (closed Monday and Tuesday)"

May I assume this has not changed?.....................Thanks.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » July 31, 2012, 1:20 pm

Shado wrote:From Lee's original post of 10 April. "Hours of business: Wednesday - Sunday 9AM-10PM (closed Monday and Tuesday)"

May I assume this has not changed?.....................Thanks.
Affirmative.

Shado
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by Shado » July 31, 2012, 3:51 pm

Thanks Bubba. Will try to stop by there during the next few days.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by gudtymchuk » August 2, 2012, 7:13 am

Bubba, what's the special for this week?
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » August 2, 2012, 9:58 am

gudtymchuk wrote:Bubba, what's the special for this week?
Going to market now to look for steaks. Being Buddha Day I'm a little apprehensive, but my plan was to have Chicken Fried Steak tomorrow. Will update later today.

Bubba

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by BigBubba » August 2, 2012, 1:02 pm

Weekend special update:

OK, we're all set for Chicken Fried Steaks tomorrow (after 11AM) served with mashed potatoes, creamy white gravy, and sauteed mixed fresh veggies. Today and tomorrow no alcohol can be served in accordance with Buddhist Lent.

Also, movie night is suspended until after the Olympics.

Bubba and June

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Bubba's Bar & Grill

Post by thalenoi » August 3, 2012, 9:49 am

Let me add I jumped in two nights ago and had the best hamburger since many years.

Thai changed my Bangkok-Udon flight from 9.30 to 14.00 last month and gave me a 300 baht lunch voucher, which I unfortunately choose to consume at nearby BK (from domestic lounge), believe me, that was 300 baht spent for a lousy hamburger with fries and a coke :mad:

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”