CHAROENSRI NIGHT PLAZA Nong Prajak

General Udon Thani topics only!
hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » January 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

Sweet Garden also serves Thai food. I just glanced through the menu. It seemed decently priced. The ambiance is pretty.

I liked the idea of Cake Lover but have not been as impressed with the offerings. I see their kitchen and drool and yet they don't have a great selection and just a fluffy quality. Beyond Cafe at the car wash is much better imo. Cake Lover did make a nice coffee (iced latte). (again, so does Beyond).

I did a stroll through the night market. It really needs more vendors. At the side near 7, there seems to be a more interesting "artistic" type thing going on, not just women's clothes for really tiny people. I'd like to see that happen, a creative element to it instead of the same old offerings at every night market around.

HM

rct
udonmap.com

SWEET GARDEN - in Charoensri Night Bazaar

Post by rct » January 9, 2013, 6:09 pm

Highly recommend the restaurant SWEET GARDEN - in a stand alone building inside Charoensri Night Bazaar, open from 11h00 each day, and reasonably priced coffees too eg Latte 45 baht. Seating both inside (aircon) and outside. Extensive Thai food menu, we had several nice dishes at reasonable prices.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » January 10, 2013, 3:09 pm

Secret Garden is a nice place, and well located, though it would be easy for a visitor to walk around the main mall area and actually NOT see it.

Be sure to look for it, worth it, I posted a separate "Where to Eat" thread on it last night after our first visit, and went again today for a Latte at 11h00, was excellent, except for the cement truck working in front! That will pass...

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » January 20, 2013, 5:19 pm

stattointhailand wrote:What I thought was to be a parking area on the North (East?) side of the street has been loaded up with several big loads of dirt and a bunch of big wooden beams. So looks like more construction of some sort is coming.

Had to have a chuckle at that one BB :lol:

What on earth gave you the idea that ANY Thai development would have an area put aside for people to park?
Whats wrong with double (or triple) parking on both sides of the road?
All the "parking spaces" can then be rented out to people for stalls to make more money =D> =D>

We will worry about people not going there coz there isn't anywhere to park when it happens :confused: :confused: :confused:
Well I guess my original hunch about the parking area across the the street was correct after all. ;) Spread gravel today. All that remains is concreting the drive entrance. MAYBE this will relieve some of the street parking that has developed in just the last week. The vendor stalls are still far from being all open.

With the new Thai bar/restaurant with live music opening between us and Beyond Car Care the dynamics of the neighborhood is rapidly changing. It's quite entertaining just sitting outside in the evenings now!

Bubba
Every day I wake up is a good day.

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » January 20, 2013, 5:25 pm

Do they have big screens there showing the premiership football games ?

udonmarc
Admin

Post by udonmarc » January 23, 2013, 11:42 am

And I'll take this opportunity to welcome Sweet Garden as a sponsor of Udon Map. We're still processing some paper, but expect to see them on the next issue of the map. Unfortunately, the one coming out next went to press before we could get them in. I've had dessert and capuccino there, and it was both delicious and lovely.

KB_Texas

Post by KB_Texas » January 26, 2013, 5:56 pm

I will agree with rct. We had several decent dishes at reasonable prices. Taste was good to very good, and the serving sizes were adequate, if small by farang standards.

The cake is very pretty, but it is most definitely Thai cake. If you enjoy that type of cake, then the selection is right up your alley. We will eat there and get dessert elsewhere (maybe the marble slab ice cream place) next time.

We had dry sukiyaki, sweet and sour chicken, rice, iced tea, cappuccino frappe, black forest cake, choco-banana cake and the banoffee pie. Total check bin was ~460 baht. For those who enjoy eating a lot of cake, they have a cake buffet for 179 baht, but if one person at the table gets it, everyone at the table must get it. No sharing is allowed, and I guess they do not trust you not to sneak a piece. ;) At 45-100 baht+ per piece (average probably around 65-70 baht), you do the math.

KB

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Post by hermajesty » January 27, 2013, 8:34 am

I always enjoy your reviews, KB.

HM

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2013, 8:42 am

My wife and I ate supper and walked through the area last night. A good size crowd for a Saturday night. Lots of photo opportunities for the younger crowd....and lots of very reasonably priced food stands. The most popular seemed to be the somtom stands that had a few tables out front.
One item of possible interest for forum members is the landscape design office, photo below. I can't vouch for quality/prices/etc.

There was plenty of parking available.....new lot directly across the street, but we parked alongside the road just around the corner near 7-11.
Attachments
IMG_2348.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2353.JPG

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 10, 2013, 11:56 am

Well, for some reason the name has been changed to CHAROENSRI PARK, and indeed on most nights business is booming. One row of shops seems to be dedicated to bars with little to distinguish one from another other than furniture and decor, or who has the cheapest beer. In this type scenario I think the only one garanteed to make money is the landlord! However, as stated on another thread, there is much more to offer in the "park" and it's well worth a visit to check it out. The FULLY PAVED parking area across the street is in the final stages of completion today.

MODS: Maybe integrate the Sweet Garden thread into this one? There are certain to be comments on other venues within park in the future. Just an idea.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2013, 12:13 pm

BB: "Maybe integrate the Sweet Garden thread into this one? There are certain to be comments on other venues within park in the future. Just an idea."

Done.

By the way......any else look twice at that Koreaon sign?

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 28, 2013, 4:35 pm

Something REALLY BIG coming this Saturday. Still trying to find out details, but they're closing down half of the roadway, setting up grand stands, and building a concert stage in the parking lot. My wife says some big Thai entertainment is coming to town. Lucky for us... it'll be right outside our bedroom window. 8-[

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » February 28, 2013, 4:39 pm

Bubba's post is all I know, though I would guess CARABAO may be coming.

They have a nice shop promoting their stuff, and often come and stay in the Prajaktra Hotel anyway. Time will tell....

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 2, 2013, 11:23 am

Well, Supahkit Rd is now closed to vehicle traffic and has been converted to a temporary "walking street" in preparation for tonight's big event. Still don't know who the celebrities are, but they're certainly sparing no expense in the set up. There's even a local media van on sight.

Supahkit Rd looking southeast.
IMG_4442 (640x468).jpg
The former parking area (good luck parking tonight!)
IMG_4440 (640x467).jpg
IMG_4442 (640x468).jpg
Attachments
IMG_4439 (640x479).jpg

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 23, 2013, 6:11 pm

Dog show this evening... bring the kids!

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » March 23, 2013, 6:24 pm

That's a bit harsh Bubba. Many of the kids here are rather nice IMO.

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » March 23, 2013, 7:02 pm

BigBubba wrote:Something REALLY BIG coming this Saturday
So, what was the BIG event? 8-[
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » March 24, 2013, 5:04 pm

Shado wrote:That's a bit harsh Bubba. Many of the kids here are rather nice IMO.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So, what was the BIG event? 8-[
Thai bands and a "walking street" deal. It was a bit of a fizzle, IMO. That was on the 3 March. Now they're doing smaller scale weekly events.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » July 29, 2013, 12:09 pm

Sadly Sweet Garden, and most of the Charoen Plaza are now closed down. Someone lost a lot of money on that project. Shame. They should remove all the units and make it an open market like Walking Street.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » July 29, 2013, 12:25 pm

Someone lost a lot of money............they have more than enough, not even a speed bump for them.. 8)

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”