Thai Language Schools?

General Udon Thani topics only!
ladylazarus
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by ladylazarus » June 25, 2013, 5:37 am

Hi guys! As some of you know, my fiancee' and I will be arriving in September. We will both be arriving on double entry tourist visas, and I plan on changing mine to a B visa once I obtain a teaching position. My fiancee', however, is not qualified to teach, but would like to spend his time learning the Thai language. We have looked into the ED visa for him so that he can study. My question is--are any of you familiar with Thai language schools or universities that have such programs that would be willing to supply the required paperwork for the ED visa? Thanks!

farlong68
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by farlong68 » June 25, 2013, 5:53 am

try kku....they did for a while some 20yrs ago john

cali4995
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by cali4995 » June 25, 2013, 7:43 am

i thought somebody last year said they did that through the a.u.a. branch udon. they do have
a few different levels of thai classes and have been there for years. maybe good place to ask. :-k

ladylazarus
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by ladylazarus » June 25, 2013, 7:49 am

Since I'm not yet familiar with the area, could you guys tell me what KKU and AUA stand for? Thanks for the info! :)

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by papaguido » June 25, 2013, 8:03 am

KKU is Khon Kaen, about a 1.5 hr drive south of Udon and AUA is opposite Nong Prajak park/lake on the NW side.

http://www.auathailand.org/udon/about.html

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by papaguido » June 25, 2013, 8:08 am

Rajabhat university also offers a Thai language class. I believe it's more intensive and geared towards a degree program. Aslo, cost more than AUA.
UDRU has offered a variety of programs of study within each faculty and the overall fees vary depending on the programs of study. For eligible non-Thai speaking students who are interested in joining our regular programs are required to take 1 year of the Thai language prior to a pursuance of degree.
http://www.udru.ac.th/english/tuition.html

parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by parrot » June 25, 2013, 8:38 am

AUA - American university alumni

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by Prenders88 » June 25, 2013, 8:42 am

I would start at AUA, for a good grounding in Thai, combined with lots of home study.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by papaguido » June 25, 2013, 9:24 am

papaguido wrote:KKU is Khon Kaen, about a 1.5 hr drive south of Udon and AUA is opposite Nong Prajak park/lake on the NW side.

http://www.auathailand.org/udon/about.html
Oops sorry, thought I read "where is"...KKU is Khon Kaen university...

hermajesty
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by hermajesty » June 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

When I inquired a year ago, there were no schools in UT that offered an ED visa. AUA did not have that program, at this location, anymore. They will do private lessons.

The program at Rajabat Uni is an 8 month (?) course, 5 hours a day (9-12 1-3) and will provide him with a one year ED visa. It is for beginning Thai students and most of the students are from neighboring Asian countries. I can't remember the price but it was not bad especially for a one year visa. It does require an 80% attendance rate to keep the visa (lol, yes I asked for some reason) and it begins in .... September?? Can't remember exactly but in the "fall".

There maybe some schools in BKK that are willing to do "skype" lessons and give you a visa. They cost about 25,000 baht, in that range anyway.

There are different choices for learning Thai in Udon, but the above is what I know about getting the ED visa with the schooling.

HM

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by FrazeeDK » June 25, 2013, 3:49 pm

lots of decent information at the UDRU link but unfortunately it is all for the 2010 Academic year.. I reckon they must have lost their English speaking webmaster....
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by FrazeeDK » June 25, 2013, 3:54 pm

the UDRU link Thai version is up-to-date with the 2556 Academic year.. perhaps our resident Thai expert the Parrot could winnow out the sub-link and a Point of Contact for UDRU's intense Thai language course??
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by parrot » June 25, 2013, 4:51 pm

I sent them a few emails (today) inquiring about the Thai language course.......give it a few days. If I don't hear back, I'll stop by and yak with them myself.
I did notice this caveat at the bottom of the international page:
Attachments
Capture.JPG

ladylazarus
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by ladylazarus » June 25, 2013, 8:38 pm

Thank you so much for all of the helpful information! At least now we have somewhere to start when we arrive :)

cali4995
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by cali4995 » June 26, 2013, 8:08 am

i know the school term started here around the 1st of june. not even sure when next one begins :confused:
hopefully you can get some tentative leads on positions in issan before you come.

parrot
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by parrot » July 2, 2013, 7:00 pm

FrazeeDK wrote:the UDRU link Thai version is up-to-date with the 2556 Academic year.. perhaps our resident Thai expert the Parrot could winnow out the sub-link and a Point of Contact for UDRU's intense Thai language course??
I had the pleasure of speaking with Ms. A (เอ๋ Ms. Onuma Waensoongnoen) today about Rajahpat's Thai course:

Next term Oct-Feb, register in Septermber. 2 week break. Then Feb-May. Cost is about 20,000 Baht. M-F classes during the day. The next offering will separate Vietnamese students into one group, with all others in another. The university program qualifies for an education visa.
Classes begin at the basic level. Students only advance to the next level when they pass the end-of-phase test.
Ms. A's phone number is 083-417-8268. She said the webpage for the program is outdated but they're working on getting things in order soon.
For now, you can look at http://www.udru.ac.th/english/footlight ... ythai.html and http://www.udru.ac.th/english/footlight ... iners.html

The subject did not come up, but I'd guess this program is not for the faint of heart or the casual learner.

If a forum reader enrolls in this course, please provide some feedback for other readers.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by FrazeeDK » July 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

John, you're a jewel sir!! I'm a gone to the States this fall but will follow up on the Feb 2014 semester!! Thanks!!
Dave

MichaelZ
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by MichaelZ » October 30, 2013, 10:44 pm

Ladylazarus,

if you would me so kind and let us know how did it go for you in Udon with your school, mostly with AUA ..
I'm coming to Udon with a plan staying for years with my Thai girlfriend and also looking for Thai Language school for me, I really like the idea of AUA (less hours that UDRU) but not sure if they are still providing documents for ED Visa.
Thanks! :)

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Thai Language Schools?

Post by Frankie 1 » October 31, 2013, 1:23 pm

MichaelZ wrote:Ladylazarus,

if you would me so kind and let us know how did it go for you in Udon with your school, mostly with AUA ..
I'm coming to Udon with a plan staying for years with my Thai girlfriend and also looking for Thai Language school for me, I really like the idea of AUA (less hours that UDRU) but not sure if they are still providing documents for ED Visa.
Thanks! :)
As far as I know, AUA Udon Thani branch doesn't offer Thai language courses anymore. They stopped already a couple of years ago.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”