monthly visa-run limit (30-days stamp)

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
trineax
udonmap.com

Post by trineax » January 21, 2014, 1:22 pm

hi.
I live in Udon and at this moment don't have any visa,just 30-days stamp in passport. before I realize my future plans, every month I go to Lao throught Nong Khai and get regular stamp. so what about my question... does exist some limit for this visarun? can thai side reject me someday and doesn't make a stamp? something like "hey farang you already have 4 (5,6,7), that's enough, go home " :)))

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » January 21, 2014, 1:25 pm

Thought there is going to be a big clampdown soon in the north east,thaivisa or another link somewhere,maybe need to start to think of a different option for staying here,even tourst visas have limits to how many.best of luck 8)

trineax
udonmap.com

Post by trineax » January 21, 2014, 1:43 pm

In several months I'm going to Bkk to study thai. it will be other option, but now I have the only one. can try to apply tourist visa but have some doubts.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 21, 2014, 1:53 pm

Not sure that UM has a thread on it Poms..
Here is the item as posted on ThaiVisa..
KHON KAEN: -- Immigration Police in North East Thailand have announced the start of a major crackdown on foreigners entering the country posing as tourists, who it believes are in fact working illegally in the Kingdom, said Pol Major General Chartchai Lamsaeng at a seminar for immigration officers held on Monday in Khon Kaen.

This latest crackdown is to also target foreign nationals on border runs and those who have re-entered Thailand a considerable number of times using tourist visas over a prolonged period.

Following an ongoing and thorough investigation into foreign visitors, the Immigration Bureau found repeated patterns of irregularities, with some foreign nationals re-entering the country as many as 60 times, each for a duration of between 15 and 30 days.

Further investigations found that out of those who regularly re-entered Thailand, large numbers came from neighboring countries such as Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Myanmar, with many going to work illegally in factories, restaurants or on construction sites and fishing boats.

Immigration Police have now stepped up operations across all twenty provinces in the northeast and in particular at the permanent checkpoints of Mukdahan, Ubon Ratchathani and Nong Khai – all of which are widely used by people leaving and then re-entering Thailand on border runs.

At the three aforementioned checkpoints all foreign nationals will be screened if they have entered Thailand four or more times without sufficient reason. Officers have also been instructed to look closely at the credibility of each individual, regardless of their nationality, in deciding whether to deny them entry to the kingdom.

40,000 foreigners blacklisted

Pol Major General Chartchai went on to say that high tech identity scanning machines will be installed at all entry points throughout Thailand and electronic processing will also be implemented nationwide. The data obtained will then be cross-referenced with the central immigration database which holds detailed information on all of the 40,000 foreigners who are currently blacklisted from Thailand. The checkpoint data will also be used to help combat those individuals involved in the smuggling or transportation of illegal or undeclared goods into Thailand, as well as in assisting in matters of national security.

As he closed his speech, Pol Major General Chartchai warned his fellow immigration officers of the harsh penalties they can expect to face should they be found to be involved in any illegal practices with regards to aiding and abetting foreigners who enter the country illegally.
It would appear to be aimed at 'foreigners' from neighbouring countries rather than Falang.
But TIT so who knows how any individual officer will interpret it... :shock:

A few years ago they did instigate a maximum number of stamps that you could have in your passport in a yearly cycle. Then when they reduced the number of days given to 15 they did away with that. So it is guesswork if they will now reintroduce to those countries now back to 30 day admissions.
If they do it will undoubtedly happen at the drop of a hat, with zero warning.. :shock:

It might be safer, as Pompui suggest, to throw in a Tourist Visa just to break up the cycle a little. However they are limited as well from Vientiane.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 21, 2014, 1:59 pm

All nationalities...
Immigration offices at permanent checkpoints in three provinces – Nong Khai, Mukdahan and Ubon Ratchathani – are instructed to screen foreign visitors who enter Thailand more than four times with no good. The officers will also look into the credibility of those visitors to consider whether to deny them entry. The instruction will be applied to visitors of all nationalities.

trineax
udonmap.com

Post by trineax » January 21, 2014, 2:04 pm

how old is this article?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 21, 2014, 2:06 pm

Posted Yesterday, 21:59
Very, very new....

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » January 21, 2014, 2:07 pm

trineax wrote:In several months I'm going to Bkk to study thai. it will be other option, but now I have the only one. can try to apply tourist visa but have some doubts.
2 or 3 years ago there was a clamp down on tourist visas. Apparently too many visa runners unable to qualify for long stay visas and circumventing the process with back to back tourist visas. Anything more than 3 tourist visa was frowned upon or subject to scrutiny. No idea where it stands now, but you could try looking on thaivisa.com for more info.

redwolf
udonmap.com

Post by redwolf » January 21, 2014, 2:10 pm

@Trineax:

I've personally seen them reject people who've not formalized somehow e.g. a Non-Immigratnt "O", of any type, or Non-Immigrant "B".

I recommend you contact one of the more reputable visa consultants in town. You can PM me or others for this info, as several of us take that route after years of wasting time trying to keep up with the unpredictable "discretionary" sets of "rules" applied by various certifying officers within the embassy or at the border.

Often these rules are simply loose interpretations of the actual law, suitably tailored for whatever fleeting policy measure high ranking officials try to administer, while certain of their subordinates simply find ways to (continue to) circumvent them for profit.

Main Point: Let a reputable visa consultant handle this. They are usually retired members of immigration police, etc.

RW
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » January 21, 2014, 3:43 pm

trineax wrote:In several months I'm going to Bkk to study thai. it will be other option, but now I have the only one. can try to apply tourist visa but have some doubts.
There have been posts on other forums saying that the authorities are also tightening up on the conditions for issuing an ED visa so some research on your part may be needed.

trineax
udonmap.com

Post by trineax » January 21, 2014, 7:02 pm

karonsteve wrote:
There have been posts on other forums saying that the authorities are also tightening up on the conditions for issuing an ED visa so some research on your part may be needed.
I will study in the very good school and will not skip lessons :)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 21, 2014, 8:53 pm

There was an edict some years ago, approx 3 i think, that stated more than 3 visas granted at the border would automatically negate further entry, so many looked at flying to Sings or even hong kong to show they left the country and came back from another country NOT bordering Thailand.

I really do not know what happened to that edict, but it would appear that they are flexing the immigration laws again and this time I fear they will invoke the rule too many 30 day visas, bye bye.

W hile this i am sure is a problem for some I do know of some who use a broker who then organises everything for a fee of about Thb 15000 and lo and behold a years visa is available, for those over 55. Other visas are obviously available the problem is for those UNDER 55, your options are limited, but there was and still is the marriage visa and the Ed visa, although that is also under scrutiny. To be fair for those of us who did the homework and made the arrangements, for years the fact that some went every 3 mths or even every month to renew visas always stuck in the throat a bit, especially when those same people have inadvertently made the Immigration look very hard at Visas in general, thereby making those who comply have to go through more hoops to renew annually than they did before.

I appreciate before anyone shouts, that some have a problem with the finances, which is the usual reason for border hopping , but as none of us are completely gaga, a little research goes along way .
I often read these posts with a thought are some of these guys really on the same planet, having said that i expect as when the pound slipped against the baht a few years ago, that some die-hards will lose the fight to stay here, for numerous reasons, and some it will be sad to see them go, but in all honesty , I say go before they sling you out , as Thai detention is not a pretty place to end up and even your own government will not be too happy either.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » January 22, 2014, 2:10 am

trineax wrote:
karonsteve wrote:
I will study in the very good school and will not skip lessons :)
I was casting no aspersions. Immigration are now asking for a lot more paperwork than before so please check with Immigration and with the school on what is required.
Maybe you would be so kind as to post what you find out.

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » January 22, 2014, 7:31 am

to avoid all problems, ride in on the elephant you own dressed properly, tie it up where everyone can see it, wai to the Thai immigration officers, at departure and arrival and you will have no problems! :razz:

dress properly:

udonthani
udonmap.com

Post by udonthani » January 23, 2014, 2:40 am

I can not understand why you not has appiled for a 90 days visa in your home country, it could save you for a lot of trouble, and it would probably be much more cheaper than visa runs. You must have had an idea how long time you would spend here in Thailand.
Moon

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 23, 2014, 5:15 am

I can understand how in many cases expats find themselves in a quandary over the visa situation, especially in seeking a partner and in the process seem to have financial problems, but know only full well, should they leave the partner there is no doubt they will seek a new mobile ATM ( human male ) to take care of them. It is a case of trying to logically find a problem that is based on illogical thought.
Also some of our old friends have been caught in the rate of exchange debacle that has affected many here, due to planning on one rate and finding after a few years that is has changed to disastrous results . Eg: Gdp: 18 yrs ago Thb 90 to 1 Gbp, 11 years ago Thb 70 to 1 Gbp, now Thb 53 to 1 Gbp . If ones pension has not risen due to Government issues or loss of a pension provider or more likely loss of pension payments due to the business slumping etc: ( pension based on the stock market springs to mind ) , then unless you have a large wad of dosh available, even after 10 years you would be struggling and some are,I can tell you, Burnt all bridges back home so its here or ?????. Sad to see.

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » July 15, 2014, 9:08 am

FOREIGNERS WHO do regular visa runs in order to extend their stay in Thailand have less than a month before a crackdown by the authorities to enforce immigration laws more strictly.

From August 13, people will not be able to re-enter the country, regardless of their choice of transport.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/nationa ... 38504.html

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 16, 2014, 10:05 am

That is NOT entirely true, one should always speak to the Immigration officers, there are ways to extend legitimately if the case warrants it, but not for the long term back to back people but genuine tourists who wish to extend for a few days in order to finish their holiday. Note the use of the word GENUINE . I checked this am with IO while i was there, there are circumstances for those GENUINE TOURISTS
The ne-eer do wells the sneaky people, those who attempt to circumnavigate the law, true there is NO exceptions, once out your out unless you seek to return legally. The decision is yours of course. leave and follow the rules or stay and risk it.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 17, 2014, 2:13 am

Lets look at the FIFO ( Fly in Fly Out ) workers who use Thailand as a base for their occupations.

They arrive and obtain a 30 day on arrival Visa, then depart within those 30 days and work for periods of 3, 4, 5, 6 weeks or more outside Thailand.

Return again for their recreational break and get another 30 day Visa on arrival, Wouldn't be considered as In Out ?

The other thing to mention, as KP has said as genuine causes, an Expat with an admission to hospital which would generate an overstay etc, would easily be reviewed by the immigration authorities and their visa extended I imagine.

Bottom Line is don't push the boundaries or interpretation of immigration rules that are being upheld Nationally from the look of it and get yourself the correct Visa to reside correctly.

My 12 month Multiple Entry Imm O is awaiting me, but I do sweat every year until it arrives as each consulate applies different rules and regs.

Ohh the days when as an Aussie working in Kazakhstan , I was able to get a Pommie mate to hand carry my 2nd passport to UK and First Class Postage to Hull and he would hand carry it back in 3 weeks and off I go again.

As the world refugee crisis increases many countries are clamping down on immigration issues both internally and making visas applications more challenging for many.

When I review these changes I always ask myself, Would a Thai National be able to enter Australia on a tourist visa, leave on the last day and fly to Bali ( ASEAN ) , obtain a new tourist visa there again and fly back ? probably not without being challenged on their return, easy to track as the Oz immigration computer is national wide.

As that is what many expats are doing in Thailand.

This immigration issue received world wide criticism after the MH370 Flight identified stolen passports that were reported missing in Thailand and the world security experts cited Asia's poor immigration rules and enforcement.

Perhaps this is a long over due shake up that is needed ?

pomps
udonmap.com

Post by pomps » July 17, 2014, 4:08 am

Presumably Thailands immigration is not nationwide :shock: hence loads of people getting new passports even though plenty of time before expiry date of the passports,clean passport so nothing for the imm officers to physically see :D Only got to look at the many threads on TV,my daily email from them, to understand loads of people have been circumventing the system.
Only need to tighten up the ED visa and then see what happens :-k
Some people have had it good for many years, now time to get to the reality stage.So with new passports at least the circumventers will have a clearer understanding of what visas should not be showing in abundance in their shiny new passports.Passport offices must get fed up with the extra workload of new replacement passport apps from Thailand well before expiry dates. :shock: :D

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”